JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about getting a SA M1A. I like the walnut stock one but all of my shotguns are synthetic stocks. I have a dehumidifier in my safe but would but would I be better off getting the M1A in fiberglass stock instead? I have no experience owning a wood stock firearm.

Thank you.

If one is going to go M1A, I'm of the notion that it should be with a classic wood stock. But to each their own.

That said, I wouldn't sweat the maintenance. Almost all of my long guns have wood stocks and it is no trouble.

There is wood.
And there is wood.

You are obviously a wood virgin. ;)

I have a S&W revolver that had a wood grip but I put a pachmayr rubber grip on instead. It felt better than the wood grip. I did save the wood grip in case I sell it someday.

When it comes to the M1A, I have to say go wood. That said, I purchased a brand new M1A last year, and while the wood stock is beautiful, it is not 100% finished. I think it needs at least a final sanding and some sealing, which I'm comfortable doing myself. That aside, for a classic style rifle like this one, I just can't see putting anything but wood on them. Just my humble 2 pesos.

When it comes to the M1A, I have to say go wood. That said, I purchased a brand new M1A last year, and while the wood stock is beautiful, it is not 100% finished. I think it needs at least a final sanding and some sealing, which I'm comfortable doing myself. That aside, for a classic style rifle like this one, I just can't see putting anything but wood on them. Just my humble 2 pesos.

It's the beauty in guns with wood like yours that I'm talking about. ;)

Do you have to worry about it cracking the wood stock at all? I'm not intending it to be a safe queen but I just have a couple dehumidifiers in safe. I guess I need to buy a hygrometer gauge.

Just look at that wood! Who could resist that??!

IMG_6933a.jpg

Do you have to worry about it cracking the wood stock at all? I'm not intending it to be a safe queen but I just have a couple dehumidifiers in safe. I guess I need to buy a hygrometer gauge.

I keep a dehumidifier in my safe, and having had guns with wood stocks for years, it has never been a problem. Most have been sealed in some way, which should keep the wood safe. Most cracking I've encountered is when you take wet wood into a really warm and dry space, accelerating the drying process. The wood used in these stocks should already be dried/seasoned by the time they're turned into stocks.

Just what do you think a piece of walnut will take?

Millions survived battle in WWII and Korea.
Dishing out more than a few ''But stroke to the head series''. :D

Honestly, finished wood stocks won't be a problem. If you're not used to working with wood, it's really green wood (fresh cut) that you need to worry about - dry it improperly and it will split - trust me, I've done that before when trying to speed dry some wood for slingshots I've built.

Nope, as @Medic! noted, wood stocks have survived decades under some of the worst environments imaginable - your safe will be nothing.

For any rifle only ever spec'd by the Military with wood, I couldn't even imagine ever having it any other way! etrain16's M1A is a very fine example of the pride and craftsmanship that goes into these rifles. Unless you are looking for one of the more modern renditions of these very fine platforms, then it's just gotta be wood!

Considering rifles like the SKS, AK-47, M1 Garand, M14, etc had wooden stocks you'd think you would hear about that kind of issue by now. Wooden stocks are much more stronger and durable than people think. And when treated properly, can handle wet environments pretty well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top