Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Springfield 1911

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by absoluterik07, Jul 12, 2010.

1. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

Shipping off my Springfield 1911 mil-spec to Wilson combat today to get all the bells and whistles! New armor-tuff finish, beavertail grip safety, commander hammer, trigger job, full length recoil guide rod, and all for more than the gun cost in the first place! Seriously though I am excited beyond words right now! Just wanted to thank everybody on here for the great info and can't wait to test it out in a month and a half!

2. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had the G.I. model, and it would only shoot ball ammo unless you had the barrel throated. Will the mil-spec shoot hollow points?

Congrats on your investment. That is going to be one sweet pistol!

3. absoluterik07

Yea mine shoots everything I put in it from hollow points to the aluminum cased blazer stuff. Never had a malfunction of any kind. The mags are garbage though on the first round you can feel that it's a little sticky when you rack the slide but once it's doing it's thing you can't tell. And thanks I'm really excited!

4. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Need pics once back. Anything being done with barrel? What you having done to trigger?

5. absoluterik07

I will most definitely post pics when I get it back. Nothing being done to the barrel (yet) but I'm getting the full trigger job with the stainless match trigger. Should lower the pull to 3-4# though.

6. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

You will have a custom gun by the time your pistol makes it home. I would however consider putting a barrel in it at the very least a bushing and crown work to help the. Think of it this way; you are spending the cash you should be happy when you get it back and not have to have any more work done.

7. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

I agree on the barrel, and any other metal work- sight cuts, checkering, bobtail, etc. 1) it's already there. 2) you're already paying for refinish and 3) All those nice things won't be worth much if for some reason the barrel is "crap" (in comparison to other parts.)

8. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

The 2 piece barrels in those as well as the Loaded models are pretty much junk. Since you're having all the work done, you might want to consider a better barrel & bushing.

9. Dr. Tatu

Dr. Tatu pdx Member

can't wait to see pics! lately I've been very strongly considering spending more than I can afford to get a Wilson Combat 1911...want...it...soooo....baaaadddd!

the way I calculated it, everything I want would be about $2900 PLUS the price of a new Mil Spec, for which I may as well buy the Tactical Elite...in my dream world anyway.

10. absoluterik07

I have heard that the two piece barrels are not up to par, however, I have no problems with groupings out to about 20 yards and can't really justify spending another $300+ on a new one since I'm already shelling out about a grand as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!:) Let's just hope I wont regret this after getting it back though...

Oh and does anybody know how big of a difference there is between the micarta starburst grips and the G10? Recommendations? Thanks, alot!:thumbup:

11. absoluterik07

Just paid for it and will have pics up when it comes back to me on Wednesday or so!

12. absoluterik07

Finally got it back yesterday! Tested a quick hundred FLAWLESS rounds and couldn't be happier! Here are a couple pictures:
    gunny7.jpg
    gunny6.jpg
    gunny5.jpg
    gunny4.jpg
    gunny3.jpg
    gunny2.jpg
    gunny.jpg

13. oasis618

oasis618 Tacoma, Wa Active Member

Lookin' good!

14. Brodyboy

Brodyboy NE PDX Member

Well, I have to say it looks great and I'm sure i shoots as good as it looks. Enjoy that fine piece. I have myself a SA Lightweight Loaded and love it.

15. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

Very nice looking pistol.

16. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll take it!

17. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Nice. Makes we want to go home this evening and fondle my 1911's. :D

18. absoluterik07

Thanks guys! This is the first gun I've ever owned where I can actually shoot targets and just keep making one hole bigger rather than multiple holes! I'm definitely sold on the 1911 platform!

19. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

Very nice and congratz on a great looking 1911 there ..... :)

20. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I recently bought a RIA Officer and I love it! very accurate for a "compact" shooter, everything is great about it! I want a full size one and to "accesorize my carry with a trigger and grips. the 1911 is a great platform!