JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a run of the mill AO 1911 from Springfield in 45. I'm thinking about dumping some money in it on upgrades. Thinking more of a trigger job and 3# trigger, match grade barrel (maybe threaded), upgraded sights, and work on am I safety to make it crisp, and full length guide rod. Giving it to a gunsmith what would one think I could get done over all for $1800? And what about $1000?

Depends on what smith you send it to. New barrel/bushing might run you $500 or more. Clean up safety and trigger job a few hundred if you're not replacing parts. Depending on the sights, it might run you as little as $200 if the smith doesn't have to cut the slide, but if they do then it gets expensive fast and you'll be refinishing at least that slide.

If you didn't have to cut the slide for the sights then I bet you'd be in the $1000 ballpark.

Sounds like a fun project!

On my own Springfield I was pretty happy with a short trigger,[ I have short srubby fingers] , Thin grips and up graded sights. I did not have to cut my slide. That cost me under $200. I did have the front sight staked on for another $50.
With the way this gun shoots I can't see a match barrel making enough difference to be worth the investment. But that's just me! DR

I bought a used Springfield PX9109LP (SA Loaded) 1911, and wanted to turn it into the ultimate combat 1911. The following were left original: Springfield Loaded frame with beavertail safety, plunger tube, and ejector; slide with sights; barrel with barrel link, pin, and barrel bushing. All other parts are Ed Brown except the VZ grips. Action has been tuned to 3.5 pound trigger pull. All work done by Mac's Precision Gunsmithing. 3/4" group at 25 yards. I've got about $1900 total into it, including the original gun for $800.

Springfield Loaded 1911.jpg

I'm thinking you're going for a "Range Gun", where accuracy is the first consideration?, (a 3# trigger is NOT for SD use).
If so, a properly fitted barrel and bushing, along with a good trigger is first on the list.
Sights?,, send your slide to "Novak" and they will do whatever you want, and it'll be right,, don't be tempted to do "Bubba" work on sights,, you WILL want a dovetailed front sight.
As always; "Their are no "drop in" parts in a well set-up 1911".

Having upgraded many 1911s and own 5 Springfields, you could buy a solid used Range Officer with match barrel, great sights, beavertail, trigger for $750 or $800 and sell your run-of-the-mill AO, for $500 +/- ending up $300 out of pocket, give or take. If you do'n't believe me, I'll sell you one of mine to prove it ;-)

Having upgraded many 1911s and own 5 Springfields, you could buy a solid used Range Officer with match barrel, great sights, beavertail, trigger for $750 or $800 and sell your run-of-the-mill AO, for $500 +/- ending up $300 out of pocket, give or take. If you do'n't believe me, I'll sell you one of mine to prove it ;-)
pm me if you would like

I'm thinking you're going for a "Range Gun", where accuracy is the first consideration?, (a 3# trigger is NOT for SD use).
If so, a properly fitted barrel and bushing, along with a good trigger is first on the list.
Sights?,, send your slide to "Novak" and they will do whatever you want, and it'll be right,, don't be tempted to do "Bubba" work on sights,, you WILL want a dovetailed front sight.
As always; "Their are no "drop in" parts in a well set-up 1911".
why would you say #3 is not for sd. It is more for what your use to. Might be too light for you but for me it's just right. Just never understood why a handgun is labeled as ss or range gun. You can setup for both.

There isn't anything wrong with Springfields. Even the dreaded MIM isn't as bad as the internet makes them sound.
oh I have no problems with my Springfield. I just want a sweet 1911 and if I can get it and sell the old one I will. Or I can pick up a nice lever and a new 1911

why would you say #3 is not for sd.
When something bad goes down; the muscles tighten up, the adrenaline starts pumping, and the "tunnel vision" kicks in.
That is usually not when one wants a light "target trigger".
I have a Springfield 1911 that I would gladly put up against your Wilson. Indoors/outdoors, wet/dry, snow/rain, dust/dirt.
I'm not so sure I'd put most Springers against a Wilson.
But their is something that a lot of people that use 1911s for CCW might not think about.
If you're involved in an "incident", the police will take your gun, (at least for awhile,) and I would rather turn-in a less expensive/more easily replaced gun, than one that costs a small fortune.
There isn't anything wrong with Springfields. Even the dreaded MIM isn't as bad as the internet makes them sound.
True enough, the quality of the steel, machining, and fitting is an important issue.
GOOD parts of MIM can give years and thousands of rounds of reliable service.

I sent my Colt Government to Wilson Combat a few years back. New sights, MSH, trigger, hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, finish. Overall, spent about $1500.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads