JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, new to the forum and new to gun ownership period. I recently purchased my first pistol, Springfield 1911 GI. It might not be the best "first" pistol to buy but the history and reliability behind the Model 1911 was the most appealing part. I purchased the gun used with very little wear, it looked to be hardly shot plus I purchased it for a great price. After my first time shooting it, it began to have a hard time extracting the empty cartridges (started chimney stacking). When manually pulling the slide back it extracts perfectly fine, I went home disassembled the upper to clean the barrel, slide etc. My first thought was that I was using bad ammo (repacked ammo from the range), my second thought was that the clips I was using (one Springfield blue 7rd and one Kimber 7rd) were garbage. Do you guys have any other suggestions on how I can trouble shoot this problem. Im a new owner but have slight knowledge on firearms.

Any help is much appreciated.

The first and most simple advice is following the post by EMP9596 above...but me thinks it may be more than that.

If you don't know how to remove the extractor for cleaning etc., let me know and I'll walk you thru it.

The first and most simple advice is following the post by EMP9596 above...but me thinks it may be more than that.

If you don't know how to remove the extractor for cleaning etc., let me know and I'll walk you thru it.

Would you mind giving me that walk thru? Itll be good for me to know regardless.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Watch the first video that EMP posted, and watch how the extractor, firing pin, and stop go together.

Take them out, and clean the extractor and tunnel. using a .22 cal brush in the tunnel works very well.

If you need more instruction than that, PM me and I'll leave you my number, as its easier to walk you thru things talking than typing sometimes.

Watch the first video that EMP posted, and watch how the extractor, firing pin, and stop go together.

Take them out, and clean the extractor and tunnel. using a .22 cal brush in the tunnel works very well.

If you need more instruction than that, PM me and I'll leave you my number, as its easier to walk you thru things talking than typing sometimes.

Thanks Ill give it a shot!

Two things come to mind. First is that if the gun hasn't had a lot of rounds through it, you may need to shoot it some more to loosen things up a bit. You need 500 rounds or so through a new gun to determine if it has a problem or just needs to find the space necessary to operate. Secondly, if this is your first pistol you may need to think about the way you shoot a 1911. You need to provide a firm platform for recoil or too much of the energy in the recoil will be absorbed by your hand, wrist, arm and the gun will malfunction. This is euphamistically known as "limp wristing". So, although I would definitely give the gun a thorough cleaning, I'd get to the range to get more rounds down the pipe and work on my hold. Shoot a lot and hang on to it.

Two things come to mind. First is that if the gun hasn't had a lot of rounds through it, you may need to shoot it some more to loosen things up a bit. You need 500 rounds or so through a new gun to determine if it has a problem or just needs to find the space necessary to operate. Secondly, if this is your first pistol you may need to think about the way you shoot a 1911. You need to provide a firm platform for recoil or too much of the energy in the recoil will be absorbed by your hand, wrist, arm and the gun will malfunction. This is euphamistically known as "limp wristing". So, although I would definitely give the gun a thorough cleaning, I'd get to the range to get more rounds down the pipe and work on my hold. Shoot a lot and hang on to it.

This was actually one of my first thoughts while we were at the range but I am familiar with shooting pistols, when this happened I was shooting with a couple buddies(experienced shooters) and it was happening to them as well. Thanks for the input though!

I have one and it works perfectly. Now as to yours, sometimes the extractor needs to be "tuned" for proper function. Also, what type of ammo are you using ? What type of recoil spring and is there a buffer in there, or just the stock parts? Some people install aftermarket ejectors and heavy recoil springs that can cause issues with some ammo

I have one and it works perfectly. Now as to yours, sometimes the extractor needs to be "tuned" for proper function. Also, what type of ammo are you using ? What type of recoil spring and is there a buffer in there, or just the stock parts? Some people install aftermarket ejectors and heavy recoil springs that can cause issues with some ammo

Its all stock parts.....The only ammo that has been shot with it (from me personally) was ammo purchased at the range, I'm pretty sure they were repacked cartridges...... Im going to make the adventure tonight of cleaning the extractor and going through most of the upper again....hopefully beers won't interfere to much. Thanks for the input. Oh and here is our topic of discussion. Enjoy

2012-04-27_06-44-10_664-1.jpg

2012-04-27_06-44-10_664-1.jpg

Hi BigBlue26,
I'm an Armorer, I can help you with the Extractor/Ejector Email me at [email protected] . I (Tony) live in the Portland, Oregon area (HappyValley, Oregon) If your in the area I can help at no cost to you. You and I can fit the Extractor. Let me know Tony Portland, Oregon Area.

A few things about the 1911 platform;

1 - If the gun needs 500+ rounds thru it to be reliable, the gun maker didn't do their job.

I really don't think the Military would have agreed to such a 'break-in' period back in 1911, when the gun was adopted.
Imagine how much ammo they would need to expend to get every one of those 1911's running???? OH PLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

2 - The limp wrist thing is pretty much connected to the weight of the recoil spring. If the gun (full size 5") has a standard 16lb recoil spring, one can fire the gun with just two fingers, and the gun will function fine.

Now to the point of the matter. If you're getting a 'chimney stacking', as you call it...it means the extractor is not handling the case as it should, and needs some attention...most likely tension, and hook prep. But its not that easy. Measurements will need to be taken to see if the extractor is sitting properly in relationship to the case rim...and the ejector needs to be looked over as well.

The gun is telling us what it needs, we just need to listen.

Man I couldn't have asked for a better forum, you guys are a ton of help! @netcarrier, Ill definitely let you know if I have any troubles.

Thanks!

"God made man, Samuel Colt made man equal"

Its all stock parts.....The only ammo that has been shot with it (from me personally) was ammo purchased at the range, I'm pretty sure they were repacked cartridges...... Im going to make the adventure tonight of cleaning the extractor and going through most of the upper again....hopefully beers won't interfere to much. Thanks for the input. Oh and here is our topic of discussion. Enjoy

View attachment 38670

Take up netcarrier on his offer and try some different ammo.. some reloads have been found faulty in the past, low powder charges or case sizing issues, etc

It could be that your ejection port could be modified to be flaired more so that the brass has room to fly. Also the feed ramp can be smoothed for better round chambering. Using too high/low grain ammo may be a quirk for your gun. there are 1911 smiths out there that can modify it to make it finely tuned as well as a custom gun. Like someone said, limpwristing could be a factor. Your ejector obviously is having fits.

A few things about the 1911 platform;

1 - If the gun needs 500+ rounds thru it to be reliable, the gun maker didn't do their job.

I really don't think the Military would have agreed to such a 'break-in' period back in 1911, when the gun was adopted.
Imagine how much ammo they would need to expend to get every one of those 1911's running???? OH PLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

2 - The limp wrist thing is pretty much connected to the weight of the recoil spring. If the gun (full size 5") has a standard 16lb recoil spring, one can fire the gun with just two fingers, and the gun will function fine.

Now to the point of the matter. If you're getting a 'chimney stacking', as you call it...it means the extractor is not handling the case as it should, and needs some attention...most likely tension, and hook prep. But its not that easy. Measurements will need to be taken to see if the extractor is sitting properly in relationship to the case rim...and the ejector needs to be looked over as well.

The gun is telling us what it needs, we just need to listen.

1. Modern guns are not built to the same tolerances as GI guns were. My experience with Springers is that they are considerably tighter, and considerably more precise. The slide to frame fit is pretty good and the they are not lapped prior to leaving the factory. A little working in to get proper function isn't always necessary, but isn't terribly uncommon either. The goverment issue 1911's were built to run in really ugly conditions, which meant they were pretty loose. Comparing a modern Springfield to a military relic is apples and oranges. Low end Springfields aren't Les Baers or Wilson Combats or Ed Browns or Springfield Custom Shop guns that are lapped and fully function checked before they leave the factory either. But, those guns cost at least $1k more than the GI Springer. You get what you pay for.

2. Depending on how tight the gun is and how much friction there is between the components can, and does, show problems when shooting technique is not good. The 16 lb. spring should be fine when the gun has settled in, but might be a tad strong before then due to the internal friction. The gun will be a bit tight at least until the parkerizing on the rails is worn in.

Extractor tension is easy to check. Chamber a round (this should be a dummy round with no primer/powder) from the magazine, remove the magazine and pull the slide back slowly and observe the round. If the extractor has the proper tension it should hold the case against bolt face and the round should not fall away or droop. This can also be done with the slide off of the gun by inserting a round into the exractor hooks. The round should stay in place witout drooping. If it needs an adjustment, it's actually pretty easy to do. But, you should have someone show you how. Hook preparation has to do with feeding and almost nothing to do with extraction. The ejector can be tuned, but it probably isn't the ejector giving you problems.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads