JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one that's been with me for well over 50 years. It's pretty straight forward when it comes to the bolt. First thing I would do is make sure that the breech is clean and there isn't a big lump of dirt or crud in the locking lug area. There is also a "safety lug" just ahead of the bolt handle. Make sure it isn't hitting anything and the bolt handle isn't touching the stock before fully locked.

If you are saying that the bolt doesn't fully go forward, and won't allow the bolt handle to lower, look at the bolt body for scrapes or interference marks. there is a ring that retains the extractor. Sometimes people will take it off the bolt improperly, and when replacing it there is a big kink that interferes with the action as it moves in the lock lug channel.

It's a matter of patiently cycling the bolt from fully back to fully forward, and then locking it, looking for any places along the way it is stopped, scrapes, or is difficult to move. Once you find the obstruction then take appropriate action.

Last possibility, which could be a deal breaker, is that the action is bent. They're pretty tough but anything is possible.

Got any pictures? Pic's of bolt, when removed, top and bottom, the action without the bolt, and the action with the bolt in the position where it stops. These could help.

I think deadshot, has the route to go. I am Dallas, and would take a look at it for you, if you are near me. I have two 03's that we can use for comparison. It could be something really simple. Bent sights can be easy to OH Shyt!! Again I would have to look to see if just the blade can be replaced, or it one might be able to straighten it. Problem, sometimes the metal is over stress and then the sight comes in two parts. :p

Not sure how far away in Oregon you are, but Gator's Custom Guns in Kelso, Wa is very knowledgeable on 1903's.
He did some work on one of mine a couple weeks back and was extremely pleased.

I think deadshot, has the route to go. I am Dallas, and would take a look at it for you, if you are near me. I have two 03's that we can use for comparison. It could be something really simple. Bent sights can be easy to OH Shyt!! Again I would have to look to see if just the blade can be replaced, or it one might be able to straighten it. Problem, sometimes the metal is over stress and then the sight comes in two parts. :p

If the blade needs to be replaced it's only $3.25 from Numrich

The Front Sight Base is only $9.95 from the same place. Definitely not a big deal and with a good dremel tool and patience it's not that big a deal to replace.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top