Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Springfield 1903 action only, high serial number

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Backfire, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Backfire

Backfire Tualatin, OR Active Member

I've had a Springfield Armory 1903 action (only) in my possession for 42 years. In exploring the possibility of barreling it with a 24-inch, target weight barrel, I've been warned not to "butcher" the action. I candidly don't know what it's worth. Where or whom may I consult for its value?

Spgfld 1.JPG Spgfld 3.jpg

orygun likes this.
  2. 415DET

415DET Hillsboro Oregon Member

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't have a clue what it's worth, but it's cool!

The possibilities are endless.

Backfire likes this.
  4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I have bought naked, complete 1903 actions for everywhere from $125 to $225. Yours looks to be particularly clean and is free from extra holes, so I would assume the value to be north of $200.

There are two lines of thinking with that action. First, it could be re-arsenaled. I say that rather than restored, as it would never be anything better than a mix-master. Great for shooting, but not very collectible. You can collect the parts yourself, but the 1903 sights require some special tools for installation, so you'd need to find someone to install that kind of stuff.
    The second line of thinking is where I would generally fall. The moment that gun was stripped of its barrel, sights, and stock, it lost all its collectible value. Therefore it's fair game to do what you like with. I enjoy the 1903 action for building, but dislike scoping them. If you were wanting to go with a heavy barrel on the gun, you could try to recreate the dcm target style sporter (see picture). It has unertl style blocks for an externally adjustable scope but also Lyman style target sights. (Note: I enjoy recreating old style rifles, but always sign the barrel channel to make sure it is never mistaken for a collectible rifle. Fakes are fun, forgeries are just dishonest)

Either way you go, it's never a bad toy to have in the closet. I think I'm down to three or four left in my parts bin. I love them and tend to hoard them. :)

image.jpeg

5. Backfire

Backfire Tualatin, OR Active Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm in the process of registering. It looks fine a fine resource for information.

6. lencac

lencac Medford OR Member

$275 all day long

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I agree a complete bare 1903 action is worth about $250. I recently sold a Large Ring Mauser commercial action for $175.00 I would think the 1903 would be worth at least $75.00 more.