JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First turkey hunt, ever.
Before flying out, pulled my bow from storage. Hadn't used it ~9 years.
Practiced all week. Arrows are a lot like reloads. Different brands shoot so differently
Headed into the game lands at 06:00.
Beautiful day, soggy as hell from the deluges we had out here this week, clouds of mosquitoes in some areas.
Practiced with a box call and the Primos mouth harps all week. The Primos feels really weird, don't like 'em. Got to where I thought I could produce a reasonable hen call as compared to videos of hen calls on YT. Takes an hour to hike to where I know grasslands are.
Go to pull out my box call and - d'oh! - I left it in the jeep.
Get ready to go fetch it, and notice, I have 6 ticks on me.
Then another, then another.
I hate ticks and they terrify me when i think about what lyme disease did to my brother and childhood friend (both are OK now, but it was > 1 year of heavy Rx and recovery).
I decide fuggit, but ain't going back to the jeep the way I came.
I hike the long way. Stop and chat with a photographer who says he comes multiple times per month and hasn't seen turkeys in quite a while.
See one tom on a farmer's land, strutting for his chickens and gobbling.
Another land owner along the road back to my jeep says he used to hear them regularly, but hasn't for a few years.

It was a great day - got to spend ~7 hours in nature (God's house) watching and observing.
Hiked about 12 miles.
18 ticks total removed from my clothing. Bitten by none.
Gotta figure out a good tick repellent.

A walk in the countryside is always worthwhile.
Sorry about the results, but it's mostly about the hunt.
Then again turkey & gravy is pretty good too. ;)

Been out a few times a week since the season started, couple public, couple private, and some permit land but no luck still yet. Just trying to enjoy my time out and absorb as much as I can. I've seen a good amount of deer, and have a few properties in my sights for fall.

Not giving up yet but if it doesn't happen I've enjoyed the experience.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top