JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My google-kwan-do is not working tonight....

anyone know if it is legal to sell/trade in oregon push button to open knives (aka sidefolder switchblades)? If so are there any limitations/restrictions to who can own or buy?

Thanks Cally

I believe the only real rule is not supposed to ship across lines. You selling to them I THINK wouldn't be the issue, them owning it would once they return to WA.

They can not be carried concealed.

You can buy sell trade use give away a spring or gravity operated knife in Oregon.

You can make a spring or gravity operated knife in Oregon

You can make and sell a spring or Gravity Operated knife in Oregon and ship it acorss state lines IF the knife is legal at its destination and the Knife is disassembled while in transit. And the receiver assembles the knife to working order.

I spent 14 years as a Custom Knife Maker and made many many automatic spring operated knives.

You can make and sell a spring or Gravity Operated knife in Oregon and ship it acorss state lines IF the knife is legal at its destination and the Knife is disassembled while in transit. And the receiver assembles the knife to working order.

I spent 14 years as a Custom Knife Maker and made many many automatic spring operated knives.

Care to post something backing this up, because the laws don't.
KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS
http://knife-expert.com/fedswitch.txt
"Section 1242. Introduction, manufacture for introduction, transportation or distribution in interstate commerce; penalty

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction,
into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in
interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more
than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."
"Section 1244. Exceptions

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to -
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any
switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment
in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution,
possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of
switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting
in the performance of his duty; or
(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any
switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by
any individual who has only one arm."

Care to post something backing this up, because the laws don't.
KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS
http://knife-expert.com/fedswitch.txt
"Section 1242. Introduction, manufacture for introduction, transportation or distribution in interstate commerce; penalty

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction,
into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in
interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more
than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."
"Section 1244. Exceptions

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to -
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any
switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment
in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution,
possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of
switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting
in the performance of his duty; or
(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any
switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by
any individual who has only one arm."
Good info BUT they haven't updated the info to the latest, it still says suppressors are illegal in WA and they aren't.

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) "Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife is not a spring blade knife.

RCW 9.41.251
Dangerous weapons — Application of restrictions to law enforcement, firefighting, rescue, and military personnel.

(1) RCW 9.41.250 does not apply to:

(a) The possession or use of a spring blade knife by a general authority law enforcement officer, firefighter or rescue member, Washington state patrol officer, or military member, while the officer or member:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting a spring blade knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer or member is not on official duty; or

(iii) Is storing a spring blade knife;

(b) The manufacture, sale, transportation, transfer, distribution, or possession of spring blade knives pursuant to contract with a general authority law enforcement agency, fire or rescue agency, Washington state patrol, or military service, or pursuant to a contract with another manufacturer or a commercial distributor of knives for use, sale, or other disposition by the manufacturer or commercial distributor;

(c) The manufacture, transportation, transfer, distribution, or possession of spring blade knives, with or without compensation and with or without a contract, solely for trial, test, or other provisional use for evaluation and assessment purposes, by a general authority law enforcement agency, fire or rescue agency, Washington state patrol, military service, or a manufacturer or commercial distributor of knives.

(2) For the purposes of this section:

(a) "Military member" means an active member of the United States military or naval forces, or a Washington national guard member called to active duty or during training.

(b) "General law enforcement agency" means any agency, department, or division of a municipal corporation, political subdivision, or other unit of local government of this state or any other state, and any agency, department, or division of any state government, having as its primary function the detection and apprehension of persons committing infractions or violating the traffic or criminal laws in general.

(c) "General law enforcement officer" means any person who is commissioned and employed by an employer on a full-time, fully compensated basis to enforce the criminal laws of the state of Washington generally. No person who is serving in a position that is basically clerical or secretarial in nature, or who is not commissioned shall be considered a law enforcement officer.

(d) "Fire or rescue agency" means any agency, department, or division of a municipal corporation, political subdivision, or other unit of local government of this state or any other state, and any agency, department, or division of any state government, having as its primary function the prevention, control, or extinguishment of fire or provision of emergency medical services or rescue actions for persons.

(e) "Firefighter or rescue member" means any person who is serving on a full-time, fully compensated basis as a member of a fire or rescue agency to prevent, control, or extinguish fire or provide emergency medical services or rescue actions for persons. No person who is serving in a position that is basically clerical or secretarial in nature shall be considered a firefighter or rescue member.

(f) "Military service" means the active, reserve, or national guard components of the United States military, including the army, navy, air force, marines, and coast guard.

Deen- I have no idea why you just posted that? You post WA (?) RCW's when discussing federal law on shipping the knives (based on the fact you quoted my info on shipping). Maybe I just missed something! lol

Oops missed the disassembled part in your post. I've seen that referenced but never seen it verified.

I was a voting member of the Knifemakers Guild. There is very very little about US Knife laws and How to conduct business within them I do not know. Granted if anything has been changed since 1996 I could be out of touch as that is when I quit living knives 24/7

Parts are the same as whole knives under the law. Ask Spyderco, they were fined huge $ and had the parts confiscated. This was for balisongs which are classified as gravity knives. The got hit on two separate charges. One for importing the parts into the US and the second charge was for shipping them across state lines once in the US.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top