JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're not thinking of doing an SPR clone are you? Thats a bunch of money and weight that you really don't need if you want to sustain accurate fire with an AR. The SPR was meant to bridge the gap between the M4 and whatever sniper weapon system was available. If you don't need to do both jobs, I wouldn't try. Matter of fact, a 16 inch "recce" rifle does the same thing at 2/3 the weight and cost.
+1
Unless it has to be a clone I wouldn't bother, cause if you're wanting precision and use heavier ammo might as well just get a 20" barrel if you're gonna end up with a heavy rifle.

Granted this is coming from an AK/FAL guy who is gonna convert a saiga into a heavy alpha inspired sbr. Do as I say not as I do. :D

I sold all my other AR's except my SPR build an my 9mm AR.

I absolutely love the SPR's

There's things a bolt gun will definitely do better than a semiautomatic but AR's with excellent barrels are capable and fun.

You're not thinking of doing an SPR clone are you? Thats a bunch of money and weight that you really don't need if you want to sustain accurate fire with an AR. The SPR was meant to bridge the gap between the M4 and whatever sniper weapon system was available. If you don't need to do both jobs, I wouldn't try. Matter of fact, a 16 inch "recce" rifle does the same thing at 2/3 the weight and cost.

All true, but I will say the rifle length gas system coupled with a rifle buffer or even an A5 is hands down the smoothest shooting AR I've ever handled. I was going to build "budget SPR" not a clone but just the basic concept, then SOLGW had a contract overrun on a bunch of uppers, after penciling it out there was no way I could build it cheaper without buying garbage so I bought one. Again, it's not an MK12 clone but it is one of favorite rifles.

I don't think I'd do a clone. Just something that plinks to distance with relative ease. If I stick with 223/556 I'd do a long barrel build with a nice scope and nice barrel.

I like a longer barreled fixed stock rifle, in semi or bolt. Performance and accuracy seem far better. I don't have any fantasies about being an "operator", don't play halo, and having a barrel designed for a grenade launcher mount isn't appealing. Just want to go to the range and hit targets.

I like a longer barreled fixed stock rifle, in semi or bolt. Performance and accuracy seem far better. I don't have any fantasies about being an "operator", don't play halo, and having a barrel designed for a grenade launcher mount isn't appealing. Just want to go to the range and hit targets.

In the end, i think that's all any of us want. However, some of us shoot smaller targets than others. My most accurate ar15 will shoot bug holes or damn near perfect scores every time. Its a fast rifle and has never once had a malfunction. At my clubs turkey shoot last fall, i tried to get one of the guys to lay down a hundie because he thought his heavy barreled ar was going to outshoot everything there. It was equipped with a high dollar leupold and looked impressive with that 24" tube. I was taking a gamble with my bet, but i also knew my ar15 shoots consistent sub moa (right around .8 moa) 10 shot groups. Needless to say, he didnt take the bet and also didnt walk away with the turkey either :p;) . Ars dont have to have truck axels for barrels to shoot good, but in my experience a good medium weight 20" tube is hard to beat. Im actually a little worried about a new purchase i just made, as the contour of the fluted Shilen is even skinnier than the 556 rifle im talking up, and the new one is a 6mm. So that makes it even lighter overall. That new (to me) 6 Woa is going on my Noveske, and im hoping its going to be a major sleeper. :cool:

SPR ??? Surface Plasma Resonance? SPR - Google Search

The United States Navy Mark 12 Mod 0/1 Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) is a semi-automatic rifle with long effective range in service with United States Special Operations Forces used in the designated marksman role, also designed to be shorter than standard weapons. SPR initially stood for Special Purpose Receiver, but that nomenclature has been replaced as the weapon became a stand-alone weapons system, and not just an add-on upper receiver assembly (part of the proposed SOPMOD upgrades). The SPR was eventually type-classified by the U.S. Navy as the Mk 12. The weapon was developed by the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division for US special operations units, not for Navy units in general.

Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle - Wikipedia

That option is not part of MK12 design, the collar on the barrel is for the OPS Inc. suppressor which threads directly onto the OPS Inc. muzzle brake and uses the collar to stay centered.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top