Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Spousal support

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by boogerhook, Jul 28, 2015.

1. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

I have a weird situation at home. My wife enjoys shooting, is actually a better shot than me (in some disciplines), but at the same time, she is politically an anti-gunner. Most impressed by mass-shootings (which don't account for many of the dead on the greater scale) and not willing to debate statistics of any kind. She does not qualify as a hoplophobe as she is perfectly fine handling firearms and enjoying it. Her bottom line: the World would be better off without guns. I happen to know of several other families where the guy likes guns and the gal does not. I am interested in what you guys/gals have to say. So here is a poll and an invitation to share experiences and advise.

2. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

My wife was staunch anti handguns when we got together. They were only for killing people (according to her). She was fine with rifles.

We have been married almost 12 years now and when we go out she will come up and squeeze my hips acting like she just wanted a kiss. She is checking to see if I'm carrying and when I am she smiles and gives a look like "ok, I can relax".

It's taken a while and what's made the most impact is her seeing how I react to situations. My reactions have built into her the trust in me and knowing that I'm here to protect not harm.

She used to fear the tool. Now she realizes it's good in good guys hands and bad in bad guys hands.

She doesn't care anymore.

And as a note:
    She works, I'm the at home parent as of the last 3 years. I can't afford anything myself. My income is zero. So yeah she pays for this hobby as well - gladly because she knows I enjoy it. She sees it as a trade off for us (my son and I) standing beside her while she went through and got her bachelors in nursing and continuing the encouragement .

3. theguncrank

theguncrank Columbia County Active Member

My wife had never touched a firearm before we met, and was nervous about my having guns. One trip shooting, hitting target on her first try and she was converted. I gave her the rifle.

:s0069:

4. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

I have the best girlfriend ever haha. Ammo for my birthday and a gun for Christmas :):):)

5. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The best answer for me was "Likes just like me" but she's not into firearms as much as me.

6. IheartSig

IheartSig Beaverton Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Platinum Supporter

I happen to be lucky enough to have a partner who not only shares my enthusiasm for firearms, but is also a fairly proficient shot. The down side being that her tastes are just as expensive as mine when it comes to firearms. I got her a Sig Nightmare 1911 for our Anniversary one year and its been downhill ever since. She has her eyes on a P938 Nightmare for her carry piece now.

MEP1000, boogerhook and etrain16 like this.
  7. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Like Dyjital mentioned, my wife also likes to run her hand down the small of my back as we leave the house; she always smiles and says good boy! lol

She never shot before we met. Now she has a CWP and carries her G42 everywhere. I have to admit she's not as enthusiastic about firearms as others, but has no misguided emotional fear of them either.

8. notazombie

notazombie Hillsboro Well-Known Member

There were no options that really fit my situation. There was a gun in the house for a couple years before my wife even knew I had one. I wasn't necessarily hiding it, I just never made a big deal about it. I had it out one day when she saw it and I was pretty surprised that she got upset -- upset that I had been "keeping it a secret". I explained that I own lots of tools that I didn't tell her I bought because I didn't think she'd care. Once she got over that she was fine with it. In fact, she's fine with guns in general but has no real interest in shooting them herself. I know her well enough not to try to push it on her but I think eventually she'll be a shooter.
    I would have checked the box that says;
    She/He doesn't love or hate guns. My money - my guns - my hobby.

STUKA, boogerhook and etrain16 like this.
  9. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My wife grew up around guns, not in a big way, but her father kept some shotguns and hunting rifles and had the chance to shoot them herself. She was taught proper and safe handling of guns. Handguns were nowhere in sight though. It was about the same for me too.

Fast forward and we get married about the time Clinton puts the AWB into place. I had wanted a gun for a while, but we had held off because we were newly married, bought our first house and had 2 used cars to pay for. But seeing what was going on, we decided to take the plunge, and also both to get our CHL's at the same time. I told her if we were going to have a handgun in the house, I wanted her to have the same training, and the same carry license as me. She really didn't argue much over it.

We ended up buying 2 handguns and that was really the beginning. She enjoys shooting, but is not a gun aficionado. She does get excited over certain guns, such as the first time she held my new AR, she really seemed to enjoy that moment. And I have to say I enjoyed it too. She has bought me guns and gun accessories for my birthday, anniversary and Christmas, so I guess I have to say she is supportive and pro-gun. She even came with me down to the rally in Salem back in February. And while I'll never expect to see here drooling over the gun case at the store, I'm just happy to know she's a wife/mom that is PRO GUN!!! :s0094:

Suck on that, moms against guns!!! :s0121:

boogerhook and Dyjital like this.
  10. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

None of the above.

edslhead, spookshack and IronMonster like this.
  11. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

At first glance, it's easy to think "the world would be better off without guns." But when you really look at the implications of stripping people from the ability to make up for other deficiencies, you remember what Colt's nickname "the equalizer" means.... God made men, Colt made them equal.

Remind your wife that if it wasn't for the gun, anyone bigger or stronger than her could do anything they wanted to her.

CoastRange57, MikeE, Stomper and 6 others like this.
  12. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

My wife has a couple of revolvers and a shotgun. She can hit center of a target at 25 yards pretty well with her model 36. She does not like my social firearms at all.

MikeE and boogerhook like this.
  13. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My wife was neutral when we met. I got into USPSA shooting in 2001, she started in 2004. Sure
    makes vacation planning easier---we plan around major matches. Doubles the number of
    guns I clean and ammo I load. She has her CHL, but doesn't carry on a regular basis.

boogerhook likes this.
  14. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I would say my wife is indifferent towards firearms. She had a CPL before we met although she never carried (got at the behest of an ex). She also owned several handguns although she had no real interest in shooting them. Her biggest complaint is the amount of money my shooting hobby consumes.

After a few sketchy events around our home I have her talked into some training, however she has more interest in martial arts type training than firearms. At least it's a start

15. bakersman345

bakersman345 Camas wa Well-Known Member

My old lady was scared the day I brought a gun him but years of conditioning has made her indifferent. They are like a bookshelf or coffee table they are there pose no threat and if I leave one laying around she moves it if she's cleaning and on the way.

She only gets mad when I caress them more the her.

16. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My wife used to kick most of the guys butts when shooting muzzle loaders in competition (we did this for 7-8 years) She has gone hunting with me many times She has a carry permit (though rarely carries any more). She was right there when my son started shooting at age 5. And is looking forward to my grand daughters learning to shoot. She owns 3 of her own firearms one of them being the nastiest hand gun in the house an Astra A-90 a 19+1 DA 9mm and she has 5 spare mags for it. She shoots with me as often as she can. She totally supports my firearms collection and keep up to date on various firearms values and who they should go to should I pass away.

Sgt Nambu and boogerhook like this.
  17. Goosebrown

Goosebrown Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

My wife is OK with shooting, but doesn't love it. She is interested in home defense and willing to use a gun to defend herself and the kids.

I try to get her out, but she really is only minimally interested.

boogerhook likes this.
  18. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Mine is utilitarian towards guns. She took a women's gun course and wants to know the basic operations of them for defense but doesn't have an interest past that. She is awfully supportive of me though.

At her gun course she did fall in love with the Kimberly Aegis so that is on the short list.

boogerhook likes this.
  19. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Of course the world would be better off without guns/violence.. however, that is not reality.

jinkhet and boogerhook like this.
  20. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

That, and it would be less fun !