JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking at spotting scopes for about 6 months now, because my Simmons is a POS, my Vortex 10x binoculars aren't terribly useful past 50 yards for .223 holes, and my rifle scope magnifications don't cut it past 100 (even on the VX7L or Mark 4).
I have a WiFi Camera system that is just a PITA to haul out due to batteries and cabling, etc. So when I am at the range and see the guys with their Leupolds, Kowas, Swaros, Nikons and Vortex spotting scopes, I'm admittedly jealous.
Problem is, I'm a cheap m'fer, and that quickly becomes a conflict with good glass.
I've looked at Vortex Razors, high end Nikons, Swarovski, Leupold and Vanguard at Sportsman's Warehouse, where the farthest I can see is ~50 yards. My test is to look at a price tag as far away as I can and if I can read the SKU barcode, I'm happy.
The only ones that would cut it were the Swaro, Razor and high end Nikon. I also looked at Vortex Vipers, Mid range Nikons, Vanguards and the Leupold was a mid-range.
To get what I wanted as far as clarity, prices *started* at $1,400. Ouch.
Recently a member on this forum posted some Vortex Razors for great prices, but I lowballed and pizzed him off. Oops.
So I checked Craigslist. Yeah, they had a Kowa there (new), a bunch of BS ones that looked like scams, and one guy selling his Pentax PF-80ED. He used it as an astrology telescope for stargazing.

I looked for reviews of these, and there really wasn't much. Buying one can be confusing, too, because looking on Amazon, they don't clearly state that you also have to buy an eyepiece. BUT, these eyepieces aren't proprietary - they take the standard telescope 1-1/4" eyepiece.
I have a 10" reflector telescope that I use for stargazing, with multiple eyepieces (bonus!).

Fast forward, the spotting scope, with 20-60x zoom eyepiece, is $590. This same model package with same lens sells online for $1,150. I set up a meetup. Fortunately he brings a tripod. Here we are, almost dusk, and I'm reading the words around the license small letters on the plate placard on a Toyota 4Runner parked 300 yards away. (Checked the distance on Google Maps).

Low light, check. Smooth focus, check, intuitive zoom, check.
I don't even quibble with the guy and buy it on the spot. Based on my comparisons, I'd put it at better image quality than the Vortex Razor (except for eye relief).

My client canceled today, so I went out to shoot my 204 Ruger for the first time and sight it in.
Looking at my bugholes at 100 under 20x, the clarity and focus is so good, it's like I'm standing 10' in front of the target. I head over to the 200 yard range. Bump the zoom up to 40x. Again, crystal clear, like I'm standing 15' from the target. I'm very pleased.
If there was one negative, the eye relief is negligible. I wear glasses, and found it easiest to take my glasses off and let the focus knob correct for that.

PROS:
  • Remarkable clarity, large sight picture and stable image;
  • Smooth, stable focus and intuitive zoom;
  • Excellent light capability;
  • Uses standard astrology eyepieces;
CONS:
  • Heavy (almost 4 lbs)
  • Negligible eye relief

Here are manufacturer specs on the spotting scope:
Pentax PF-80ED Zoom, 80mm ED angled body with 20-60x SMC zoom

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show