JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I'm moving up to Saint Helens Oregon in a couple months and was looking on some info for where to shoot. I prefer outdoor shooting and the house is right next to Pittsburg rd which I've heard has spots but didn't see any when I followed it out a ways. Any resources for what land is open and what is private out there? Thanks for the help guys!

The Clatskanie or Rainier gun clubs are options. Pittsburgh up to Scappoose-Vernonia hwy is mostly owned by private landowners and Weyerhaeuser and they all frown upon target shooting. There is a gravel pit on ODF land (state land) off of Karth road which you can get to by peeling off of Pittsburgh well after it turns to gravel. You are looking at about a 30 minute drive from St Helens. Onxy maps will be your best friend and keep you out of trouble if you plan on spending any time in the woods in Columbia County.

onXmaps is a great app for identifying public vs private land. It will put you with 2-3 ft of the property line. I also use google maps and google earth. Advanced homework is part of the game.

When I find a bare spot along the road, I zoom in and if it looks like a shooting opportunity, I'll check google earth to see the terrain for backstops. OnXmaps shows me any nearby trails, private property, current and recent fires and more. Then it's down to take a Sunday drive and enjoy the countryside.

You can shoot just about anywhere on public land, as long as you abide by the land agency rules. Common sense stuff like use a high earthen berm backstop, no rounds leave the range, know what's beyond, not across or along roads or waterways, use legal targets (specifically manufactured for the purpose of target shooting), and haul out what you brought in.

I've shot in many places where, (it looks like), no shooter has shot before. And when I'm done, I try my best to make it still look like that.

Actually, if you want a good list of common rules that most public land forests have, visit our website and click on Public Land Shooting Rules. It also has some links to several agency official rules. http://trashnoland.org/

Have fun out there and be safe!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews