JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's partly what I'm getting at. Nobody knows WTF is going on and the sky is falling, apparently, so we make up whatever sounds good to our individual ears and scream about it. It's very tiring
I think that's why Sportsman's is defaulting to the only actual definitive piece of Oregon law, which is the 30 day rule. Of course, that law is beyond vague, with no clear explanation as to when the 30 day count starts (which seems to be where all the guesswork is happening).

Frustrating all the way around, but then again, that's just part of what the pro-114 side wants!

I think all the gun stores got together and said:

"okay who is going to do the "freak out"...?"

ORW: "sportsmans"
JBFirearms "sportsmans"
bimart: "sportsmans"
nw armory: "not us we way too busy, sportsmans"
cabelas: "take a number"
Sportsmans: "god damn it guys, fine..."

Sportsman's Warehouse Notice

• Based on the passage of Oregon Ballot Initiative 114 and its expectation to take effect on December 08, 2022, Sportsman's Warehouse currently understands the following impacts to Oregon residents;
    • December 07, 2022 (Wednesday) will be the last day to purchase a full capacity firearm magazine (magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds).
    • December 07, 2022 (Wednesday) will be the last day to purchase a firearm equipped with a full capacity magazine (firearms equipped and sold with magazines holding more than 10 rounds).
    • December 07, 2022 (Wednesday) will be the last day to purchase ANY firearm without a valid Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit.
    • If a firearm customer's background check is delayed (goes into the "OSP que") and the approval comes on or after December 08, 2022 (Thursday) – the customer will need a valid Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit to take possession of the firearm.
    • On and after December 08, 2022 (Thursday) all firearm buyers must have an Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit to purchase ANY firearm.
      • At this time there are no known OR law enforcement agencies issuing the Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit.
      • The new Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit may require live fire training.
  • Sportsman's Warehouse is dedicated to serving our Oregon customers and is doing everything possible to satisfy their needs.
    • This includes extending store hours and resupplying stores on a rapid schedule.
  • We encourage you to reach out to your local representatives on this egregious initiative and its potential long-term detrimental impacts to the outdoor sporting goods industry, hunting, shooting sports and Oregonians Second Amendment rights.
Hmm…. Pearl Harbor day….. how fitting. :rolleyes:

I don't think many people really realize how dangerous that is especially if it has our address ect. on it. Even if it just has our name and it is a public list that is way too much and a violation of privacy.
Its the worst part of the bill. Yet people are freaking about the magazine ban. Not that I agree with mandatory background checks but at least it legally can't be searchable

All this is going to do is increase self made guns.... no registry problem solved and also encourage for private sales among each other without going through FFL which really shouldn't exist in the frist place. What two people exchange is no one's business.

Official Notice on the FICS website:

"FICS transactions that are not completed with an approval number by midnight
on December 7, 2022, will require the purchaser to initiate their permit
application to obtain a Permit-to-Purchase before their FICS transaction can resume.
FICS transactions will not be canceled on December 8th. Once the purchaser has an
approved permit, the FICS transaction will resume.

Oregon State Police has worked with Permit Agents regarding the application
form for the Permit-to-Purchase. The draft application is in the final review with
permitting agencies and will be posted to the Oregon State Police's website and
available to those wishing to apply for a Permit-to-Purchase on December 8,
2022."

~ OSP FICS Unit

But before you can apply for the permit, you need the certified training, is it not conspicuous that is not mentioned at all?
You can apply for the permit, but you need certified training first, and ...gee we don't have that yet...catch 22?

Official Notice on the FICS website:

"FICS transactions that are not completed with an approval number by midnight
on December 7, 2022, will require the purchaser to initiate their permit
application to obtain a Permit-to-Purchase before their FICS transaction can resume.
FICS transactions will not be canceled on December 8th. Once the purchaser has an
approved permit, the FICS transaction will resume.

Oregon State Police has worked with Permit Agents regarding the application
form for the Permit-to-Purchase. The draft application is in the final review with
permitting agencies and will be posted to the Oregon State Police's website and
available to those wishing to apply for a Permit-to-Purchase on December 8,
2022."

~ OSP FICS Unit
Oh, this ought to be a smooooth transition!!! :s0140: Lemme get this straight? Once I fill out the "Permit to Purchase" they are going to go ahead and process my background check and I'll get the firearm :rolleyes:? That I filled out the 4447 for on Nov 9th?

Yeah, okay.

If Sportsman's warehouse had their customers best interest in mind they would be completing transfers 3 days after the background check has been submitted.

Of course Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't have their customers best interest in mind! They are a business, they have their own best interest in mind. Just like my local gun store have their own best interest in mind as they are selling Anderson stripped lowers for $150 each and are completing transfers after 3 days. Businesses are their to make money, any sense of a greater responsibility to the public is just marketing. Even charities and civic groups are only there to pay their higher up management a big salary and promote their own best interests. It is the American way... it is the human way... it is the way of the entire animal kingdom!

Last Edited:
Oh, this ought to be a smooooth transition!!! :s0140: Lemme get this straight? Once I fill out the "Permit to Purchase" they are going to go ahead and process my background check and I'll get the firearm :rolleyes:? That I filled out the 4447 for on Nov 9th?

Yeah, okay.
Sorry, They will only continue processing your background check once you have been issued a Permit-to-Purchase. Applying for it is only the first step and currently, the State does not have the infrastructure in place to issue these permits.
That is why this measure creates an "undue burden" which makes it unlawful.

Don't shoot the messenger

If Sportsman's warehouse had their customers best interest in mind they would be completing transfers 3 days after the background check has been submitted.

Of course Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't have their customers best interest in mind! They are a business, they have their own best interest in mind. Just like my local gun store have their own best interest in mind as they are selling Anderson stripped lowers for $150 each and are completing transfers after 3 days. Businesses are their to make money, any sense of a greater responsibility to the public is just marketing. Even charities and civic groups are only there to pay their higher up management a big salary and promote their own best interests. It is the American way... it is the human way... it is the way of the entire animal kingdom!
Since sportsmans is backing and joining the lawsuit I think they have other ideas. They will have real numbers on how many people are effected by this and have customers info to call and see if they want to join a class action lawsuit. When playing this game it's best to think 4 steps a head vs what needs to happen by the cut off date. They have a whole team of lawyers I am sure they have something brewing.

Im personally not hating on sportsmans, they were first to sound the crazy alarm. Anyway logic says the larger corporate gun sellers would just cancel purchases (if necessary) at the cut off. better for customers than having that money in gun limbo in my opinion.

Im not hating on sportsmans, they were first to sound the crazy alarm. Anyway logic says the larger corporate gun sellers would just cancel purchases (if necessary) at the cut off. better for customers than having that money in gun limbo in my opinion.
I was thinking the same; what if they were stuck with a stock of firearms that people paid for, no background check was closed before the deadline and the people were too smart not to proceed with a permit to purchase and the box store was stuck with paid stock. They can refund on a gun that the buyer paid for and did not pick up?: i'd be glad to loose the money, not have my name, address and important personals publicly published. Small price to pay for privacy and my safety.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top