JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I ordered a gun from their website last week and now it shows "delayed". The gal in customer service told me it's stock out (???) and the order will auto-cancel in 5-days if they can't locate one for me. WTF man. I could have bought it elsewhere for around the same price, now I'm stuck dealing with scalpers on Gunbroker. Plus my time that they wasted. I think their website inventory is being updated manually, like the scoreboard at Fenway Park. This is a really crummy low rent type of an operation. I'm done with them.

I ordered a gun from their website last week and now it shows "delayed". The gal in customer service told me it's stock out (???) and the order will auto-cancel in 5-days if they can't locate one for me. WTF man. I could have bought it elsewhere for around the same price, now I'm stuck dealing with scalpers on Gunbroker. Plus my time that they wasted. I think their website inventory is being updated manually, like the scoreboard at Fenway Park. This is a really crummy low rent type of an operation. I'm done with them.
What did you order that they didn't have? That's annoying!!

I used to enjoy going to Sportman's but they have turned into every other large outdoor chain.

Their prices suck and they treat you like any big box. They won't honor their own guaranteed best price policy despite meeting the conditions.

Their inventory is tied to multiple distributors inventories unless it shows as in stock at a store. Also, an item will say in stock, let you add to cart and then error out saying the item is no longer available for purchase. This is because if any store has one in stock, it shows as in stock on the website. They have some pretty odd inventory practices due to limitations on their point of sale/e-commerce site.

It was a Rossi 92 in .38/.357. I always wanted a Winchester in .38/.357 but not at collector prices. No way I'm paying Gunbroker prices for a Rossi. But now it's OOS everywhere.
FWIW, that was probably a small blessing in disguise. I've heard the current crop of Rossi rifles are nothing to write home about.
Henry is a little more $$$ but I understand its a better built gun. Not the greatest, mind you, but better.
I understand the CAS guys prefer the Uberti (granted, that's a '73). Again, better than the Rossi.
Just what I've heard/read.

Their inventory is tied to multiple distributors inventories unless it shows as in stock at a store. Also, an item will say in stock, let you add to cart and then error out saying the item is no longer available for purchase. This is because if any store has one in stock, it shows as in stock on the website. They have some pretty odd inventory practices due to limitations on their point of sale/e-commerce site.
I find this true of a lot of places.
For instance, I use to work for a bank. Granted this has been quite a while ago, but it seems like things have not changed much.
They make everything look shiny and new and high tech on the outside, but behind the scenes, their method of doing the actual work is as old as time itself.
From my experience, it seems to stem from a case of not wanting to make the initial investment in order to actually incorporate the FULL high tech advantage.

I'm not a big Sportsman's fan. I've yet to order in-store pick up and probably never will. For myself there's really no need. I have better resources available. Off the top of my head (over the years) I've been into the Salem store half a dozen times and maybe 3 dozen in Albany for gun related purchases only, never guns. I'll save my Cabela's sentiment for a different thread. Salem's gun counter was always dead. The gun counter crowd in Albany is always cringe worthy. The customers always seem to be 100% new. They are sweeping, over molesting the firearms, trying to figure out a basic 2 handed hold on the fly, while dropping the slide locks on empty chambered semis, flinging cylinders open on revolvers and spinning them up and wrist snapping them shut like they're Hollywood prop guns. All I hear is click, chunk, rack, repeat. It's like nails down a chalk board. I understand that it's imperative for people with weaker wrists to get a feel for what to expect on a new semi handgun during the shopping process but I think at a certain point employees should politely step in and and ask them to stop or place the gun back in the case when one goes rabid. Everybody loves to see a train wreck or people watch but it's actually down right frustrating to witness this as you're shelf shopping the adjacent isles. Most the guys and gals behind the counters are absolute social media and YouTube sponges and they just constantly regurgitate absolute nonsensical garbage. I'm starting to miss those good ole mom and pop gun shops. Over the past few years (entirely out of my way) I've made it a point to go all the way up to @HighLine because of how hard working, dedicated, level headed, soft spoken, and professional David is. I was totally content with his at home garage shop but I'm thrilled that he is growing and thriving in his Newberg shop space. End of Sportsman's rant.

Last Edited:
Reference post #7. Yep, it is true.

It was a Rossi 92 in .38/.357. I always wanted a Winchester in .38/.357 but not at collector prices. No way I'm paying Gunbroker prices for a Rossi. But now it's OOS everywhere.
Maybe try Kentucky gun co. They may not have the model u want though.

These guys have some also. But again may not be model or price u want. Just passing along FYI. I've bought from both stores with no issues in the past.

Last Edited:
If it's not on the shelf or behind the counter and you can't put eyes/hands on it, do yourself and your wallet a favor and walk. No real sympathy from me especially in todays inventory/market. We all know this is a standard issue in big retail stores.

Last Edited:
I only go into sportsman's surplus for 1 thing. A bag of Carmel covered popcorn. It's up by the cash registers, don't have to deal with the morons,pay and go

I should have listened.🤡

delayed.png

AND of all things, Sportsman's Whorehouse in Bend has undergone a HUGE remodel!

The gun/hunting area is completely different with all handguns in a long glass cabinet with a big rifle display on the back wall and all long guns in racks.

The checkout area is now completely at the front of the store and it appears they have gotten 'big' in the outdoor cooking arena with Treager and other brands of grills & smokers.

Clothing and shoes have been increased in area as well.

Bottom line is it now has a more 'modern' appearance as opposed to what it used to be and was actually getting kind of rundown and disorganized on the inside for a long time.

The gun/hunting area is completely different with all handguns in a long glass cabinet with a big rifle display on the back wall and all long guns in racks.

The checkout area is now completely at the front of the store and it appears they have gotten 'big' in the outdoor cooking arena with Treager and other brands of grills & smokers.

Bottom line is it now has a more 'modern' appearance as opposed to what it used to be and was actually getting kind of rundown and disorganized on the inside for a long time.
Sounds very similar to the Salem store as well, we have the switchback, as I call them, you must pass through before getting to the registers. Gotta get everyone to walk past an entire isle of impulse purchases on display. I normally fall for it as they carry Clay's lemon drops, those are the best!

In 5 days "delayed" will turn into "cancelled" and they will email you a $50 gift code (can't use on ammo, of course). But since nothing is in stock, may as well be a .05 cents gift code.

Sounds very similar to the Salem store as well, we have the switchback, as I call them, you must pass through before getting to the registers. Gotta get everyone to walk past an entire isle of impulse purchases on display. I normally fall for it as they carry Clay's lemon drops, those are the best!
You got to admit, retail stores have been forced to make it more difficult for the rotted dregs of society that have been bred by the leadership of this state that are allowed to get away with their thieving.

Sounds like they modeled it after the Silverdale store.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top