JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No it said "in stock" at that location. It said "buy now, pick up in store today".
Well then that's dumb as hell!

There's a guy in the Salem store who still owes me lunch. I bet him lunch that I'd get an instant background check and he said that "no one is getting instants, I haven't seen one in months". Anyways, I'm still hungry. That was my first firearm buying experience there and probably the last. Even with an instant approval, it took over an hour to complete. I was not a tire kicker either, I went there because they had a specific model in stock.
I had the same experience in Albany a couple weeks back, I should have bet them lunch too haha. They didn't believe me when I told them I would be instant approval. It also still took about and hour to finally get out of there with all the fumbling around, and I was on a mission to get in and out as quick as I could.

I have a rifle I couldn't find anywhere else on order from them. I can't wait to see how this goes down. I also bought 500 rounds of ammo for it from another source. The rifle will be a new chambering so the ammo is going to be an expensive paperweight of the rifle doesn't come through. 🤞

I'll update this thread with the progress, or lack thereof. Supposed to be here at my local store by 12/4.

They are leaving their jobs because of the Cabelas/Bass pro shop purchase of Sportsmans.
The brand is doomed. Bass Pro ran Cabela's right into the ground. In my opinion.

They don't tell you why they are asking, they simply ask if I know this person or that person.
This seems strange; I've never heard of it before.

Re. the Take A Number system. I don't object to that feature in busy stores. I don't think the customers should have to figure out whose turn it is. Although I don't buy much there anymore, the deli counter in Fred Meyer used to drive me nuts. 10 or 12 people gaggled in front of the counter, the two deli servers asking customers who is next.

I have a rifle I couldn't find anywhere else on order from them. I can't wait to see how this goes down. I also bought 500 rounds of ammo for it from another source. The rifle will be a new chambering so the ammo is going to be an expensive paperweight of the rifle doesn't come through. 🤞

I'll update this thread with the progress, or lack thereof. Supposed to be here at my local store by 12/4.
Well the rifle was supposed to arrive by December 3rd or 4th and it came in November 27th. I didn't expect it that soon so I hadn't been checking for the email. Went in today and it was there. There were a few very small imperfections in the bluing in the end of the magazine tube rod thing (whose real name I can't recall in my sleep-deprived state) so they knocked 5% off. There appeared to be some slight discoloration in the bluing in the grooves. Before I took delivery, I called Henry to ask about it, and they said it's "bluing fault" that should not affect the rifle in anyway, and to send it back to them for a new barrel if it is an issue. I had the SW gun counter employee check to see if there were any more in their inventory so I could have them get another one in, and there were none. They only had one other Henry of any flavor in stock, a .22, so I looked in its bore as well as I could and the appearance was pretty similar. My wife has been wanting one of these forever, and I already bought up 250 rounds of ammo for it, so I took a small leap of faith and brought it home. However, all issues with the rifle are from either the manufacturer or the inventory/shipping folks. I got an instant approval on the BGC, which was surprising because the guy ahead of me got delayed, and I assumed it was due to high demand and I would get delayed too. The actual performance of SW was better than I expected, especially after having read this thread. This was the store in North Spokane, FWIW.

The manager of the Bend store has decreed no primer sales except on weekends, because most people work and miss out on shelf replenishment if they fill the shelves during the week.

He's an ásshole, I say.

I went into my local Sportsman's Wharehouse a few years ago (Silverdale) looking for a couple of .357 speed strips. They had no idea what I was talking about. Haven't been back since.

I've had what appears to be the opposite results with gun purchases at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Portland. I bought my first rifle from them over a decade ago, and it couldn't have gone any smoother. Then about 7 years ago I was looking for a .17 HMR rifle, and decided to go to the same store as I knew they had a large selection. I told the salesman I wanted to buy a .17 HMR, but wanted to first look at every brand they carried so I could make a choice. I thought he'd get irritated, but he was very patient as I examined each, and even gave me snap caps to test trigger pulls on each. I bought the CZ, and was happy again with the whole deal.
Since then I've bought two more handguns, and a semiauto self defense 12 ga. shotgun. Other than the line being extremely long, and not enough salesmen at the counter when I bought the shotgun, those all went flawless. In fact I looked online at the shotgun and it said it was in stock, so I just went to the store to buy it. Asked the counter guy if the display model was the only one they had, and he chuckled, and said they had 42 of them in the store.
Now don't even get me started on Cabelas at Tualatin! I had the rudest salesman, and worst gun buying service ever at that place! I bought my AR15 online, and picked it up at the store. Grabbed my number and waited over an hour to have it called. As I walked to the counter the guy calls the next number. Gave me maybe 5 seconds to walk up before moving on. Then when I handed him my number he tells me I took to long, and would have to wait my turn!!!
After that BS he finishes with the other person, and then cops attitude with me. He gets my gun, and when he opened the box I leaned over to look at it, and this asshat tells me to back off!! I told him I was only looking, and wasn't touching it, and he tells me to wait until HE says I can look at it. Then we start the 4473 on his stupid Ipad thing, and the screen wont work. I told him it wouldn't respond to my taps, and he just looked at me and told me to keep trying. After 15 minutes he finally got another, and we started over again.
Then once I got it done, and approved, he wants me to go to checkout. I told him I wanted to inspect the gun, and he was obviously pissed off. He roughly opened the box and tore the slots. Grabbed the gun and pushed it at me. At this point I had enough, and told him if he didn't stop his crap I was going to drag him over the counter and whip his rear. Of course he responded by asking if I was threatening him, and I told him I was. He then said he was going to call security, to which I told him I wished he would. He didn't and instead walked me to checkout and I left. Took 3 hrs. to do a simple gun purchase!
I got home and wrote a detailed email to customer service, and got a woman VP on the phone the next day. She wanted the whole story, which I told her exactly how it went down. All she kept saying was, "Oh my God." over and over as I told it.
Before we ended she profusely apologized and gave me a store credit that was equal to 25% of the gun's cost. And said she wished she could do more.
I've never made another gun purchase at the store, and I make sure all my friends hear the story of what happened! So if the merger doesn't go down, I'll be tickled pink!

I've bought three firearms from the Salem Store can't think of a single problem so there must not have been any. most recent would have been maybe 4 years ago.

The brand is doomed. Bass Pro ran Cabela's right into the ground. In my opinion.

This seems strange; I've never heard of it before.

Re. the Take A Number system. I don't object to that feature in busy stores. I don't think the customers should have to figure out whose turn it is. Although I don't buy much there anymore, the deli counter in Fred Meyer used to drive me nuts. 10 or 12 people gaggled in front of the counter, the two deli servers asking customers who is next.
I have bought from Sportsmen's in the past. I had a couple issues [CA problems] But got it sorted out. But yesterday I was there to buy a S&W Shield. The problem started with the take a number system. Instead of actually taking a number, I had to scan a Code with my phone. Then they would text me with updates as to the wait time. The first text I got said 90 min. The next said 120 min ! A few min later they put out a sign that said " Gun Line Closed". I could not get anyone to confirm they would finish those waiting in line, So I went home and bought the gun online! I can't imagine too many people putting up with that kind of service! Even with the Transfer, the online gun was over $40 cheaper. I would have preferred a local purchase, But they are going out of there way to make it difficult! Guess where I won't buy my next gun either? DR

I have bought from Sportsmen's in the past. I had a couple issues [CA problems] But got it sorted out. But yesterday I was there to buy a S&W Shield. The problem started with the take a number system. Instead of actually taking a number, I had to scan a Code with my phone. Then they would text me with updates as to the wait time. The first text I got said 90 min. The next said 120 min ! A few min later they put out a sign that said " Gun Line Closed". I could not get anyone to confirm they would finish those waiting in line, So I went home and bought the gun online! I can't imagine too many people putting up with that kind of service! Even with the Transfer, the online gun was over $40 cheaper. I would have preferred a local purchase, But they are going out of there way to make it difficult! Guess where I won't buy my next gun either? DR
That's not the "take a number" system I had in mind. I'm thinking of the little paper chits you pull off a roller. I was in Sportsman's Warehouse in 2020, they had an actual line of people about 30 people long. They were just taking them in turn, no matter how long each transaction took at the counter.

Cabela's had the take a number in the new gun dept. You'd wait your turn as they called the numbers. But once they had written the order up, they turned it over to the payment center. That's where the real waiting began. At least at one time, they had seats to sit in while you waited. Those went away at some point. But the time the payment center took could be lengthy, with all their double and triple checking of everything. Even with that, one time they still recorded the wrong serial number on an AR I bought, they wrote down the store stock number, not the weapon serial number. None of the three checkers noticed it.

The take a number by phone, sorry, I won't admit to having a smart phone when it comes to such things. Whenever that's required, I plead Elder Ignorance, "Will you do it for me please?"

I just saw a new story that it looks like the merger is not going to proceed. I think this could be good.
That is brand-new, hot news. Looks like after M&A's running amok for years on Wall Street, the new lady at the FTC is flexing some anti-trust muscle. Yes, it may be good news in that Bass Pro won't have the chance to drag SW down as they did Cabela's. And there is the possibly illusory concept that trade will be more competitive.

I was in theHillsboro location on Tuesday evening. They were putting a lot of ammo on the shelf. No prices on most. The guy stocking the shelf said he could not help me with prices to ask someone at the counter. Mind you the store was empty, only saw two other customers there in the whole store. Three guys behind the counter ignored me for fifteen minutes while I waited for a price check. Two were processing a single gun sale. Third guy was talking guns with window shopper who admitted he was to young to purchase. I just left.

My remark was to not order online for in store pickup in Vancouver as it is very unpleasant.
I have purchased seven guns at this store and was seamless every time with never more than about 20 minutes to complete the paperwork, non Terrorist firearms were 5 to 10 minutes.

My remark was to not order online for in store pickup in Vancouver as it is very unpleasant.
I have purchased seven guns at this store and was seamless every time with never more than about 20 minutes to complete the paperwork, non Terrorist firearms were 5 to 10 minutes.
Box cutters at the dollar store aren't even firearms is why.

I was in theHillsboro location on Tuesday evening. They were putting a lot of ammo on the shelf. No prices on most. The guy stocking the shelf said he could not help me with prices to ask someone at the counter. Mind you the store was empty, only saw two other customers there in the whole store. Three guys behind the counter ignored me for fifteen minutes while I waited for a price check. Two were processing a single gun sale. Third guy was talking guns with window shopper who admitted he was to young to purchase. I just left.
Unfortunately this is often my experience going to that store too. Never used to be like.

There's a guy in the Salem store who still owes me lunch. I bet him lunch that I'd get an instant background check and he said that "no one is getting instants, I haven't seen one in months". Anyways, I'm still hungry. That was my first firearm buying experience there and probably the last. Even with an instant approval, it took over an hour to complete. I was not a tire kicker either, I went there because they had a specific model in stock.
That's the reason I avoid buying from big box stores. After the tedious experience of filling out the 4473 on a yucky iPad where every other letter on the keyboard sticks, then you need to wait for the sales rep to locate a manager who can okay the purchase. The manager is not always free to help at the moment. Then if something is fouled up in their system, you will be there another 15-30 minutes while they figure it out. The small gun shops are so much faster at everything. Time is money.

FYI I ended up ordering the gun online from Georgia and with shipping it turned out to be same cost as local sportsman's warehouse.

Did transfer at lucky sporting goods in banks and couldn't have been better. 10 min max and as always got lots of very helpful advice and ideas on other gun projects while I was there. So nice to have an ffl ally that is willing to help in any way he can vs sportsman's you have to do all kinds of crazy hijincks to try to get the gun (and in my case to get a refund on an "in stock in store" gun they didn't even have).

Updating this thread. When I ordered this gun there was a deal to get $50 gift card. I just received an email with $50 coupon from them along with a canned "apology". It was still wasted time, drive, and hard to get refund but at least their online system has a way to make up for some of it. So while I'm still disappointed this helps somewhat.

Maybe I'll spend the coupon at that Hillsboro store which sounds much better than the 82nd store. I think if I applied it to an online gun purchase though they would probably try to charge me full price and I would have to talk to 3 managers to get them to honor the coupon, but that's just a guess.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top