JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's a guy at the Hillsboro location that knows his stuff. I can't remember his name but I try and get him to help me if I want to see something on the rack. They're not all bad.

I share your frustration when trying to purchase a gun from the larger big box stores. Last time or two I bought a gun from Cabelas I was reminded you have to set aside an hour or two, even if they are not busy, prior to when they input your information for the BGC and the wait that can ensue (which isn't in them). Sadly, these experiences just reinforce the efficiency of buying online and shipping to a local FFL for transfer. That said, I do appreciate the ability to closely inspect a gun at a local dealer prior to committing to the purchase.

If you paid with a credit card, you may consider contacting the card provider and initiating a chargeback to the merchant. Let them sort it out, rather than wasting more of your time trying to get a refund. It sounds like they didn't (or won't be able to) make good on their delivery commitment on the firearm.

Having to spend an hour or two for a simple background check would be a deal breaker for me. Unless they were the only ones that had a "Holy Grail" gun or something like that. There are too many online, and local sources, to put up with that crap. I don't understand what the hold up is with Cabela's and Sportsman's with a background check? I fill out the form, they get on the computer, input info, background check comes back? Not counting in the delays due to rona for the last year plus.

Having to spend an hour or two for a simple background check would be a deal breaker for me. Unless they were the only ones that had a "Holy Grail" gun or something like that. There are too many online, and local sources, to put up with that crap. I don't understand what the hold up is with Cabela's and Sportsman's with a background check? I fill out the form, they get on the computer, input info, background check comes back? Not counting in the delays due to rona for the last year plus.
I don't know about sportsmans but Cabela's has an internal type check they do. Then everything has to be double or triple checked in the store. Cabela's is the only FFL that has a list of people they ask me if I know. Not sure what would happen if I said yes to knowing one of them.

Last Edited:
I don't really like their new set up. Takes 20-30 minutes just to look at something. The old system got the tire kickers like me out of the way quickly so they could focus on the ones buying. Combined with the electronic 4473 that everyone is going to, buying a gun from them is about an hour long ordeal now. Just like Cabelas basically. So they are now the same. Which sucks, because Sportsmans was always much better than Cabelas.

I don't think I'll crucify them for messing up the absolute craziness of gun sales and tracking everything during these last two years though. I think like with most things going on, a little patience couldn't hurt.

Hope you get your purchase figured out.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Tell me they didn't shove the stupid "take a number" bull**** onto Sportsman's... ug. I will NOT buy a gun at Cabela's or Bass Pro even if they have the cheapest price / only ones to have what I want, because of that stupidity. I have bought many a gun from Sportsmans in the past, even before my wifey worked there. Was usually a quick, easy ordeal. There are no SW's down here, and the only big box retailer I've been into that sells guns is Academy. Haven't bought from them yet. I've done private (no UBC! yay!) deals, and bought one gun from a gunstore - which I picked up from an LGS here in town.

There's a guy at the Hillsboro location that knows his stuff. I can't remember his name but I try and get him to help me if I want to see something on the rack. They're not all bad.
Morgan or David, perhaps? They're the two in charge of the hunting department, been there a long time. The store manager, Jeff, used to be the hunting manager.

Tell me they didn't shove the stupid "take a number" bull**** onto Sportsman's... ug. I will NOT buy a gun at Cabela's or Bass Pro even if they have the cheapest price / only ones to have what I want, because of that stupidity. I have bought many a gun from Sportsmans in the past, even before my wifey worked there. Was usually a quick, easy ordeal. There are no SW's down here, and the only big box retailer I've been into that sells guns is Academy. Haven't bought from them yet. I've done private (no UBC! yay!) deals, and bought one gun from a gunstore - which I picked up from an LGS here in town.

Morgan or David, perhaps? They're the two in charge of the hunting department, been there a long time. The store manager, Jeff, used to be the hunting manager.
Yup, grab a number.

Yup Morgan. He's a good dude and knows more than most on that counter.

Morgan worked his way up. He was there in the beginning when the store opened, started i think in camping, then he did inventory for a good time before getting on the hunting side. I think he is finally the Hunting Manager now. He is a really nice guy. I worked closely with him when I was there as the Receiving Manager.

At the 185th store:

The store Manager Geoff was there from the beginning too. He worked the hunting dep for a good while before taking on the Hunting Manager role. Once Matt left he took the Store Manager post.

I think those two and the camping manager are the last three from the beginning that still work there.

Oh, John is still there, he is retired and works fishing and hunting. Cool guy.

I really don't know many of the new guys and gals, or who is the new Assistant manager is since Michelle left.

My last experience at Sportsman's was so bad, That I actually told the gun department manager that "You are full of bubblegum"!
I just blurted the words out. I have never done this in my life of 65 years!
Read into this what you will. :mad:

I don't know about sportsmans but Cabela's has an internal type check they do. Then everything has to be double or triple checked in the store. Cabela's is the only FFL that has a list of people they ask me if I know. Not sure what would happen if I said yes to knowing one of them.
What do you mean "A list of people"? You mean like criminals? People they've caught trying to do straw purchases? ?

Take a #? I was at the SE 82nd store in the last 2-3 weeks and I don't "Think' they were doing that? Last Friday the Salem store wasn't like that? But then they weren't busy. Maybe they put the pull tags behind the counter when they're slow? Problem with take a number is standing there like an idiot while some inconsiderates want to fondle everything in the case. Read the room dumbasses! You're not the only one in the store.

I just blurted the words out. I have never done this in my life of 65 years!
Was that SE 82nd? You musta' been hot. I know one of the regular guys behind the counter was kind of condescending to me a few weeks ago in short discussion.

What do you mean "A list of people"? You mean like criminals? People they've caught trying to do straw purchases? ?

Take a #? I was at the SE 82nd store in the last 2-3 weeks and I don't "Think' they were doing that? Last Friday the Salem store wasn't like that? But then they weren't busy. Maybe they put the pull tags behind the counter when they're slow? Problem with take a number is standing there like an idiot while some inconsiderates want to fondle everything in the case. Read the room dumbasses! You're not the only one in the store.
They don't tell you why they are asking, they simply ask if I know this person or that person. The list was about four people long last time I bought a firearm there. Next time I might play with them and ask them to describe each person. Or if they ask me if I know Jim Blank, I might say you mean Crackhead Jimmy.

They don't tell you why they are asking, they simply ask if I know this person or that person. The list was about four people long last time I bought a firearm there. Next time I might play with them and ask them to describe each person. Or if they ask me if I know Jim Blank, I might say you mean Crackhead Jimmy.
That's weird. Or? You could ask how long this is going to take because you have an appointment at the methadone clinic in 30 minutes? :s0131:

Morgan worked his way up. He was there in the beginning when the store opened, started i think in camping, then he did inventory for a good time before getting on the hunting side. I think he is finally the Hunting Manager now. He is a really nice guy. I worked closely with him when I was there as the Receiving Manager.

At the 185th store:

The store Manager Geoff was there from the beginning too. He worked the hunting dep for a good while before taking on the Hunting Manager role. Once Matt left he took the Store Manager post.

I think those two and the camping manager are the last three from the beginning that still work there.

Oh, John is still there, he is retired and works fishing and hunting. Cool guy.

I really don't know many of the new guys and gals, or who is the new Assistant manager is since Michelle left.
I think Jen the soft lines lady is office manager/asst mgr now.

Brad the camping manager has made ruminations about retiring soon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top