JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The term "gunsmith" and brand "Sportsmans Warehouse" shouldn't be combined.

Unless they ship your gun off to an actual smith, I wouldn't trust anyone at their stores. Sure they might have one experienced employee or two, but beyond mounting a set of rings, I wouldn't trust them for much.

Besides, we have a local vetted gunsmith here in Estacada that can do anything. @Velzey

They ship your gun to Utah where they have a gunsmithing shop to perform the services. My understanding is that one of the former instructors from Trinidad State Gunsmithing is running the program. While they probably offer fine services I would look to support some of our excellent local talent like The McCluskey Arms Co. in Eugene or Copeland Custom Gunworks aka Velzey here on NWFA. I can vouch for the high quality of work and services offered by McCluskey Arms. No first hand experience with Velzey but his work is highly regarded here on NWFA.

Unless they ship your gun off to an actual smith, I wouldn't trust anyone at their stores. Sure they might have one experienced employee or two, but beyond mounting a set of rings, I wouldn't trust them for much.

Besides, we have a local vetted gunsmith here in Estacada that can do anything. @Velzey
Yes I am a "Velzey" guy and I am not promoting Sportsman's gunsmithing. However, as it
was explained to me they do have a "complete" gunsmithing facility in Utah and they do
ship guns back and forth. I remain curious.

I agree with @Reno

sportsman's is your Fred Meyer of outdoors stores. The dudes behind the counter don't have much knowledge (in my experience) of the industry. If they are wrenching on sh*t in the back room at sportsmans, that's a hard pass. There's plenty of qualified smiths in the area that are well respected.

now if they are shipping it to a qualified gunsmith, that's a different story. And if they can ship bulk items out at once, that will save you a lot on cost. But still, I don't really like the idea of going to sportsmans for gunsmithing. Not only because it's a slap in the face to the small shop gunsmiths in our area, but also because it's a big corporation and they probably don't care about you.

To me, taking a firearm to sportsmans for gunsmithing sounds like asking the cashier at Fred Meyer to fix the toaster I bought from them.

just my two cents.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads