Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sportsmans Show

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 44mag2ndamend, Feb 7, 2014.

1. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

So I went today, met some interesting business owners bought a little product and generally just celebrated having a good time.

Stopped by a rather large knife manufactures' booth to see a sign that stated something to this effect "Boss let us leave because we were scared about the snowy weather".

It was hand written and I spotted a couple pens laying there and could not resist. So the pen is mightier than the sword, I left them a nice thought, " and you call yourselves an outdoors enthusiast company?"

I had a great time slip sliding away down I-5 in 2RWD all the way home!

2. Outdoorxj

Outdoorxj Wilsonville Active Member

Was it worth going? I wanted to stop by tomorrow, but if people where leaving no way! you are right about the outdoor enthusiast part lol.
    Was there a good selection of gun stuff?

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The Sportsman show is not a gun show.

4. Outdoorxj

I figured i was just seeing if they sold any gun accessories? I like the fishing stuff and wanted to take him to the fish pound aswell. I dont care for the boats and other jazz. But thank you for your input anyways.

5. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Not much gun stuff that I saw, maybe hunting gun stuff, scopes, mon-pod. I don't hunt sooo. Northwest Armory was there with a table of handguns and a few black guns. Freddy's had a gun counter I didn't bother to look at. BUT, Crimson Trace was there and I picked up a $169.00 red laser for my SR9c for $109.00. There's a guy there selling some good quality bags, two guys actually, the one without all the back packs is the one. I bought one for a range bag a couple years ago and it's held up well.

I'd say, with this snow, if you don't have to drive too far that it may be less crowded. We went Wed and 30 minutes after opening you could hardly walk some of the isles due to OFs stopping in the middle to ponder, or some such crap! The ifish web site has a live came there and yesterday the place was real quiet where is was real busy Wednesday.

Mike

6. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

It was a good show, specially cause the crowd was not to large. Got there yesterday about 11 did not have to wait in line long. Started thinning out real good by 5-6. It was very pleasant, nice, not too many people.

I had a good time.

7. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking of going earlier, before the snow, but I have a foot of snow where I am at and it just isn't worth it. I went last year and it was okay, lot of stuff to see, but with the snow I would just rather walk around in the snow up here on the mountain than drive through it to go into the city.

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  8. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We talked about going, especially with the snow because it won't be very crowded. But decided not to. I'm going for a drive, but it ain't to the city!

9. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Been a lot of years since I've attended these shows. A lot of trouble and expense to see what I can see for free at the local stores.

But if you guys enjoy these shows, that's great too.

WAYNO.

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The one thing the Sportsman Show is good for IMHO is to be able to talk to hunting and fishing guides one on one before booking a trip. Course after talking to a few of them last year I just left depressed once I found out it would be cheaper to buy Two Whole Head of Beef for the freezer then book an in state Elk hunt with a pretty good chance of getting an Elk.

11. skeezix

skeezix Lebanon, OR All around nice guy Bronze Supporter

12. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I went Wednesday and had a great time, really motivated me to get started on our outdoor spinoff of this site (Northwest Sportsman). I view most of these shows as entertainment, so I'm not usually disappointed. I've been going to this one since I was born, so it's also a family tradition.

13. DMax

DMax Yamhill Well-Known Member

Best time to come out today low numbers and bored vendors. Freeway roads are clear. Been her all week. Glad it's the last day.

14. The Heretic

It would probably be cheaper to buy ranch raised elk than to have a guided hunt - but it wouldn't be near as fun.

15. The Heretic

That's nice.

What isn't nice is that neither of my 4x4 trucks can get out of the driveway.

16. DMax

Are you abve newberg?

17. The Heretic

Yes, on the north side of Chehalem.

I have almost 2 feet of snow.

Neither truck really has good snow tires on it, the small truck just street tires.

I have studs for the big truck, but it is a pain to put them on and take them off as there are six of them and not fun to work with.

They probably would not have helped much. I could get the big truck up onto the upper driveway and then got it stuck when it slid off to the side. The small truck got stuck when I tried to turn it around (it was parked nose into the shop).

The snow packed down pretty good under the tires and is now pretty slick.

I should have parked the small truck up by the house and then I could have driven it out to the road, but I didn't know I was going to get this much snow, I thought I would just get maybe 6 inches at most.

I will go out in a little bit and try to dig the big truck out.

The snow is melting, but not very fast.

18. DMax

I am off bald have not been home in 3 days hope I can get up the hill this evening. This is what happens when getting stuck away from home

19. The Heretic

ODOT was sanding 219 when I came home Thursday with two plow trucks. I would bet Mt. Top rd is sanded and plowed too. I like that they paved it last year, but that just makes it slicker when it snows. I am rethinking paving my driveway now.

I haven't been out of my driveway since then.

I was trying to make some ruts in the snow to maybe get my car out tomorrow, but unless it rains quite a bit I think I will work from home tomorrow.

If I could have made it onto the private road then out onto the gravel road, I would have been fine, but I am not going to shovel my whole driveway.

Some diff lockers and maybe chains for the big truck just went up on my priority list by several notches. Some snow tires with studs for the small truck went up a few notches too.

At least the snow is easy to shovel.

It is starting to melt up here but it is slow.

I am surprised I still have power as the trees are packed with snow and then when it started the light freezing rain yesterday the branches started drooping even more. About 8PM the lights and TV started flickering.

20. Outdoorxj

I drove up wilsonvile rd to earl wood drive and it was not bad at all. Just mainly slush...