JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Drove over from Corvallis because I needed some stuff. The bad, no bulk .22 bullets, no Varget, no bricks of small rifle primers, although I bought all the singles they had. The good, the primers are cheaper than Bi Mart.
So, the girl at checkout asked if I found everything and I said no, you are out of small rifle primers. She said, "Yea, they go fast." You are also out of bulk .22 bullets, "Yea, they go really fast too." I asked why don't you folks order more then? Oh, she said, " We don't have any control over that."
I asked a young man about a trail cam with cell phone connectivity and he said they don't have any. I guess he didn't want to look into ordering one either, because that's all I got out of him.
They won't have any control over the store closing either.

Yeah, it's not going anywhere. Sadly, there just isn't much competition there. Your only other options are small local stores.

Since Sportsmans reorganized a few years ago and bought their wholesale sports locations back, they seem to be going strong. This means they really don't have to be sympathetic to customer requests. They can pretty much get away with being lazy if they like. As for asking why they don't order more, buying is handled at a higher level, so the store level guy has not much to do with it. He should have been more helpful, but I doubt there's much he could have done.

Sportsmans is a joke.
Their prices are full blown retail. And then some.

When are retailers going to learn they will all go under if they keep charging 20-40% more than you can get it online. I realize the brick and mortor stores have more overhead, but retailers need to evolve.
Just ask nordstroms, macys, jcpenney, circuit city, sears, montgomery ward, etc

I asked a young man about a trail cam with cell phone connectivity and he said they don't have any. I guess he didn't want to look into ordering one either, because that's all I got out of him.

Bwwwaahaaaa:eek::eek:..you went to a retail store with an expectation of help and customer service ???

Amazon, EBay Midway, Cabellas online...The Coastal store between Cornelius and Hillsboro has some gray hairs working in the guns / sporting goods section....they know their stuff and actually give a rip..hope they stay a while.

First the small mom and pops got priced out by the big box stores, then the big box store gets priced out by the internet retailer.

As a former small retail business owner, who was undercut right out of business, I think I'll just sit back and laugh at everyone. :)

No bitterness, I believe that things happen for a reason. But maybe some Schadenfreude...

I've been there quite a bit.

There are things there that I cannot find local anywhere else.

Primers are good price, sometimes asking a gun counter person if any are on the pallet and not unloaded helps.

Sportsmans will match any local in store price on the same item. While they may be higher I've had them knock down quite a bit off the price on some things.

I've picked up a $650 (everywhere else) for $465 there when it was being dropped in price to move because it was the last one.

Just like every store, know what's cheaper there and use that as the spot to buy it.

Been there a few times. decent items, prices are retail as usual. Sometimes they have good sales on some items for camping, boating, or the like. Not much competition locally really, there's Cabelas in Springfield only under a hour away, and then there's the usually far more expensive Big 5 Sporting goods; well more expensive in terms of firearms and ammo. Great shoe/boot sales though, and sometimes you'll find some firearm stuff on sale, but usually it's stuff no one really wants.... Gun show pricing is usually better for firearm related stuff, but ammo is about the same anyhow, best deals I've ever found locally happened to be from the pawn shops really.
Edit; It's interesting. Fred Meyer now has a gun counter in Albany, and the Lebanon Wal-Mart still has guns, and then there's Bi-Mart.... and of course, there's Dan-Dee Sales up in Sweet Home, but the smaller pawn shops tend to have great deals on certain types of guns......

Sportsmans is a joke.
Their prices are full blown retail. And then some.

When are retailers going to learn they will all go under if they keep charging 20-40% more than you can get it online. I realize the brick and mortor stores have more overhead, but retailers need to evolve.
Just ask nordstroms, macys, jcpenney, circuit city, sears, montgomery ward, etc
I cheat a little. My brother works at sportsman' and he gets 50% off everything expensive stuff(over $600). I had a separate card created and told him the pin. Now if I want him to get something I just give him the card and get it 50% off.

I was at Dandee Sales in Sweet Home last week, and they had everything you were asking. First time I've seen Varget in person, and thought about buying a bottle. Heard good things about it.

That's funny!! We drove thru Sweet Home on Sunday and saw the sign for Dandee Sales. Should have stopped to check them out. Maybe next time we are camping at Riverbend I will have to wander into town.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top