JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a nice Mauser that I've been wondering what to do. I'm a practical guy, so I was thinking about turning it into a hunting rig.

So, cutting down the barrel, the stock, etc. I might even thread it for a suppressor. The Nazi logos are kinda deep, and I want to get rid of them (no sense in preserving the oppression). Throw a basic 3-9x scope on it.

Anybody done this before? Any recommendations on some scope mounts?

Unless you're doing the work yourself, it is almost always cheaper to sell it and buy one already fixed the way you want it.

If it is still all original, it is worth way more than most sporterized Mausers.

Bruce

You might try some JB Weld to fill in the logos and crests. Kind of smooth it over with a popsicle stick. In fact, depending on the location, you might be able to kill two birds with one stone and get the scope mounts on the same way.

Some great ideas so far! Sure is a wealth of knowledge on the forum.
Here's my 2¢ worth: While you have the JB out to fill the nazi marks and
mount the scope, use it to bed the action. Works just as good as the
fancy stuff. Just pop the action out of the stock, slather on a good
coat of JB with your popsickle sticks, pop it back in the stock and tighten up the screws as tight as you can.

This is going to be a working rifle, so for a finish no need to buy the high
priced Rustoleum or Krylon. Just get the 97¢ a can stuff from Wally-world.
While the paint is still a little tacky, work it over with the wife's hair dryer to
get a good hard glossy finish.

Just pop the action out of the stock, slather on a good coat of JB with your popsickle sticks, pop it back in the stock and tighten up the screws as tight as you can.

And it will stay there forever. :D

Works better with a relief agent on the action so it isn't glued to the stock. Wax shoe polish or car wax will work, the solid kind.

Bruce

Yes, maybe think again about modifying a relic: IF it's in good shape and complete, it's worth more unaltered.
In addition, be sure of your ability before trying this job.
Forging a bolt, drill and tapping the receiver, and lathe cutting of the barrel are for the machinist/shooter.

I'm praying that this is some kind of April Fools' thread and you're not going to really mangle a WWII Mauser.

Seriously.
My Serbian 1945 Mauser is my favorite rifle and I have no intention of altering it, but if I was lucky enough to have a German original I'd for sure never upgrade it. The monetary value notwithstanding, it's a relic and changing it won't change history.

I hold with those in favour of preserving the old relic.. or selling it to someone who will appreciate it as is. A few months ago I found a Mauser sporting rifle (M66, 1972 or so, as built) chambered in .270 A fine light hunting rifle. Sold it when I found something better for the same money.... if I were to modify it for a sporting arm, the most I'd do is purchase a sporting stock, something like a Monte Carlo style, keep the metal bits as they are now. The long barrel will perhaps weigh a bit more, but I don't think it will hurt its accuracy one bit. Then, keeping all the original stock bits, you can always return it to present condition by a simple stock swap.

By the way, using JB Weld with no "release agent" WILL permanently bond the metal to the stock... a decidedly BAD idea. No chance of ever reversing course on that. Could be some day not far in the future, that gun as presently standing will be VERY collectible. And, as someone said, erasing the Nazi marks will not erase what they perpetrated on the rest of the world. Let it serve as a timely reminder of what men can do once gone amok. Perhaps a warning for where things are now headed again, only this side the puddle.

Put an iron elite scope mount on it, I use a 1945 M48A in pristine condition as my hunting rifle, I use 198 gr for elk etc, and 150 gr for deer and smaller. In Europe the 8mm is still the most popular hunting cartridge by far.
Dont sporterize it, sell it or do sometrhing nice with it. A s a plus using a iron elite scope mount, its a no gunsmith, no permanent alteration type of mount, very reliable too.:s0155:

Great ideas in this thread. I have a pristine Springfield 1903 I have been wanting to turn into my deer rifle for some time. I want to chop the stock and the barrel down and bead blast the parkerizing off and refinish in a nice blue. Maybe I'll just get one of those plastic stocks from Midway to try out too.

Sounds like you may be spending $300 to convert a $500 rifle to a $150 rifle. :(

Start with a rifle already sporterized and do it better. Leave the originals alone, please. They don't make them any more. ;)

Bruce

There's a way to do all this barrel cutting correctly and then there's a bunch of ways to do it wrong. The correct way is to make sure you've got a squared off line on which to cut. For this use a pipe cutter; not to cut the barrel itself (only works on shotgun barrels), but rather just to score the barrel so you have a nice straight, squared off line. Then, using your Dremel tool, cut along the scored line around the barrel. To do this right it takes some time, you'll have to have the barreled action on a table-top so you can roll it as you go and be cutting around all of it evenly. After this use the little cut-off wheel against the face of the new muzzle to clean up any inperfections. Once it's clean and square you can use one of the little conical grinding wheels to recess the crown a bit, make it a target crown; helps to make the rifle much more accurate.

I'm not a big fan of those aftermarket stocks, so I'd recommend just using the old ratty stock and make it work for you by shortening the front of it and then taking the butt plate off and adding a Limb Saver. You might have to do a bit of wood-work, but it's not too difficult. You can secure a belt sander in a vice with the belt facing you and use it to contour the stock as needed. At that point you'll probably want to sand all the old finish off and refinish in some nice walnut stain and wood sealer.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top