Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sporterized 6.5 Swede

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Patriot1668, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Patriot1668

Patriot1668 SW Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have a chance to buy a 6.5mm Swede. It was sporterized by Kimber in the early 90's. The work looks very good, and it's on an older Ramtech stock.

Any input or opinions?

2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

They are pretty decent rifles! You wont be disappointed..

3. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Agree with velzey. I had a chance to buy one of the Kimber swedes ten years ago and now I'm kicking myself for not doing it. I now have three others swedes, but haven't found another Kimber. They were several hundred bucks back then, not sure what the value has risen to, but I've seen people ask up to $550 or $600...

4. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

The 6.5 military rounds of that era were designed to have a very high area of engagement with the barrel's rifling to ensure accuracy, all the 6.5's had nearly identical velocity but the Swede was noted as being among the top two due to the Mauser action. The 6.5 has been used successfully used on moose for decades due to bullet sectional density.

tac likes this.
  5. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has one ... it is a very handy rough and ready rifle so to speak.
    The sporter work is done nicely and his rifle shoots well with S&B ammo.
    He had me fit a wood stock to it as the Ramline stock was , well the word terrible comes to mind.
    The stock was all right I guess for a plastic one , but we both like walnut.
    Andy

MountainBear likes this.
  6. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

It did not fit him very well. The comb was too high, and the overall balance of the rifle was "off" if that makes sense.
    A Bishop stock blank and weekends work made for an easy fix.
    Andy

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Ranking stocks aren't bad, but like most inexpensive plastic stocks, they are heavy and they often have rough molding lines. It's an easy replacement with a Boyd's, etc...