JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
He also mentions CPL holders who are trained in the legal ramifications and his off duty deputies should carry guns and extra mags. He specifically mentions stadiums and theaters.

<broken link removed>

I am incredulous that he has to even mention and suggest this to his off-duty deputies and CPL/CHL holders in the first place. :rolleyes:

Agreed. It has been my understanding that ALL sworn LEO's are expected to be carrying off-duty, unless there is some practical reason that makes it unfeasible at the time.

This announcement might be a tactic to get a freebie media bite without having to ask them for one. Or..maybe there is some union-inspired policy at the Spokane S.O. that prevents off-duty carry with them getting a stipend or off-duty bonus.

Last Edited:
Agreed. It has been my understanding that ALL sworn LEO's are expected to be carrying off-duty, unless there is some practical reason that makes it unfeasible at the time.
Unfortunately most agencies that I know of (including mine) optionalize off-duty carry. I ran into one about 10 years ago that enforces mandatory off-duty carry policy by requiring any supervisor responding to an incident to have any off-duty officer (employed by that same agency, regardless of rank) that was involved to produce their concealed off duty weapon to show that they were armed. If they were not armed they would be written up. Period.

Unfortunately most agencies that I know of (including mine) optionalize off-duty carry. I ran into one about 10 years ago that enforces mandatory off-duty carry policy by requiring any supervisor responding to an incident to have any off-duty officer (employed by that same agency, regardless of rank) that was involved to produce their concealed off duty weapon to show that they were armed. If they were not armed they would be written up. Period.

Interesting policy... The only LEO I know personally carries off-duty all the time, but then again he lives in a county with a grand total of 9 sworn officers across 3 agencies, assuming everyone is healthy and fully staffed.

If I were a LEO I think I would carry off-duty all the time (I'm not LE and I already carry everywhere), but I'd be a little incredulous if my employer regulated my actions outside of my working hours in such a way. I'm a Paramedic, but I'm not required to carry an ALS kit with me when I'm not at work :rolleyes:

FWIW, if you are uniformed LEO with common exposure to the public while on duty, and you have any regular exposure to criminals, you would be wise to carry off-duty regardless of terrorists; if you run into one of those criminals while off-duty and they take umbrance at your interactions with them while on duty, you will really wish you had carried off-duty.

When I was a LEO, that was pretty much the case.

FWIW, if you are uniformed LEO with common exposure to the public while on duty, and you have any regular exposure to criminals, you would be wise to carry off-duty regardless of terrorists; if you run into one of those criminals while off-duty and they take umbrance at your interactions with them while on duty, you will really wish you had carried off-duty.

When I was a LEO, that was pretty much the case.

That's the case for most of the LEO's I've known, especially the big city ones.

i dont know a thing about practice, but id be really interested to know by what legal basis any sheriff or chief can require an employee to carry a gun when off the clock

its a civilian job. police are civilians just like everyone else.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top