Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Spokane Co sherrif Ozzie asks deputies to carry off duty

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by slimer13, Nov 17, 2015.

1. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

2. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sounds like some of the sheeple saw a wolf and no wolfdogs in sight...

scrandall01215 likes this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I am incredulous that he has to even mention and suggest this to his off-duty deputies and CPL/CHL holders in the first place. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  4. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

What's interesting is it seems he is asking typically GFZS to be ignored.

Brutus57 likes this.
  5. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Netflix works for me, and plausible deniability....what sign? I left my glasses at home!

Brutus Out

6. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

Agreed. It has been my understanding that ALL sworn LEO's are expected to be carrying off-duty, unless there is some practical reason that makes it unfeasible at the time.

This announcement might be a tactic to get a freebie media bite without having to ask them for one. Or..maybe there is some union-inspired policy at the Spokane S.O. that prevents off-duty carry with them getting a stipend or off-duty bonus.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Brutus57 likes this.
  7. Cameron72

Cameron72 Harrington, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yakima??

8. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

Yep..caught it just before you mentioned it, but thanks.....Hows about somewhere up there and over a little :D

9. Cameron72

Cameron72 Harrington, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yes, that's the place.

10. mark9fogger

mark9fogger Kali, unfortunately Member

Unfortunately most agencies that I know of (including mine) optionalize off-duty carry. I ran into one about 10 years ago that enforces mandatory off-duty carry policy by requiring any supervisor responding to an incident to have any off-duty officer (employed by that same agency, regardless of rank) that was involved to produce their concealed off duty weapon to show that they were armed. If they were not armed they would be written up. Period.

Riot likes this.
  11. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

12. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Interesting policy... The only LEO I know personally carries off-duty all the time, but then again he lives in a county with a grand total of 9 sworn officers across 3 agencies, assuming everyone is healthy and fully staffed.

If I were a LEO I think I would carry off-duty all the time (I'm not LE and I already carry everywhere), but I'd be a little incredulous if my employer regulated my actions outside of my working hours in such a way. I'm a Paramedic, but I'm not required to carry an ALS kit with me when I'm not at work :rolleyes:

ATCSDav likes this.
  13. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

FWIW, if you are uniformed LEO with common exposure to the public while on duty, and you have any regular exposure to criminals, you would be wise to carry off-duty regardless of terrorists; if you run into one of those criminals while off-duty and they take umbrance at your interactions with them while on duty, you will really wish you had carried off-duty.

When I was a LEO, that was pretty much the case.

ATCSDav, CoastRange57 and ocarolan like this.
  14. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

That's the case for most of the LEO's I've known, especially the big city ones.

ATCSDav likes this.