JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The customer used poor judgement. IMHO. Very few bank robberies end in violence. The teller gives the robber the money and he leaves. Not a wise decision to turn a non violent situation into a possible violent one when the bad guy turns on the armed customer and does a spay an pray shooting those around him. He is taking the banks $, let him have it and don't put yourself and everyone else at risk.

What was known at the time of the TV report was that it was an armed robbery, the customer fired once, that the robber didn't 'turn on the customer and spray' rounds, and after being shot the robber fled, probably injured.

A co-worker of my mom's was robbed at gun point outside of the restaurant where they both worked. Although Will gave the guy the money he had, the armed robber then took him out to the woods outside of Portland and killed Will, leaving his kids orphans and his wife alone.

So everybody can deal with armed robbers as they see fit, but you can guess how it'll probably turn out if I am there and can do anything about it.

in a self defense situation a firearm should only be pulled if one feels their is immediate threat of death or major bodily injury.
In that same train of thought if someone uses a firearm in the commission of a crime I can only assume they are willing and most likely to cause someone desth and/or major bodily harm.
If someone uses a firearm during the commission of a crime and I'm armed in the immediate area I'm going to defend myself, my family, and others. I will not wait for someone to die before I act.
By them pulling a firearm they have already threaten to kill someone.

I used to married to a bank branch manager. They got robbed about once a year. Give them the money and let them leave was the rule. It always worked, until it didn't. One of the robbers decided to pistol whip a teller. The scars will be there, both physical and emotional, for life. You never know whether they will leave or herd everyone into the back room and start executing them. If there's a chance to take them out, do it. Every time.

I used to married to a bank branch manager. They got robbed about once a year. Give them the money and let them leave was the rule. It always worked, until it didn't. One of the robbers decided to pistol whip a teller. The scars will be there, both physical and emotional, for life. You never know whether they will leave or herd everyone into the back room and start executing them. If there's a chance to take them out, do it. Every time.

Yeah but man, you play a real dangerous game when you make the decision to do that. And it's not just you that will be affected by the outcome. I agree with other posters. No amount of money is worth risking your own or other innocent life. Honestly it's not even worth taking a life over.

But yeah, there is the argument that the "immediate and otherwise unavoidable risk of death or grave bodily harm" is already present when someone points a gun at another person and tells them 'the money or your life'.

Hope I never find myself in that situation as I definitely do not carry my gun into a bank. One wrong person bumping into my side would just have to yell something like HE'S GOT A GUN! ... might end badly :/

Yeah but man, you play a real dangerous game when you make the decision to do that. And it's not just you that will be affected by the outcome. I agree with other posters. No amount of money is worth risking your own or other innocent life. Honestly it's not even worth taking a life over.

But yeah, there is the argument that the "immediate and otherwise unavoidable risk of death or grave bodily harm" is already present when someone points a gun at another person and tells them 'the money or your life'.

Hope I never find myself in that situation as I definitely do not carry my gun into a bank. One wrong person bumping into my side would just have to yell something like HE'S GOT A GUN! ... might end badly :/
Anyone who invades my personal space enough to bump into me and identify a properly concealed weapon... Yea thats kinda intimate and they sure better be buying me dinner!

If the criminal is obviously armed, or infers they are armed, then I would say a law abiding adult would have reason to at least draw a firearm. This isn't a "fair fight" where you have to wait for the criminal to reach for their weapon (whatever it is), it is a robbery in progress by an armed criminal. The person who draws, shoots and hits their target first wins.

Years ago when I was young and broke (now I'm just broke ), I got jury duty on a case where a guy robbed & killed a couple going into a restaurant. It was a big deal on TV/papers but I had just got home out of the service and hadn't heard anything about it.

I was among the few unbiased folks in the area. I was pro death penalty and still black, as was the shooter. Both sides and the judge didn't want to cut me loose from the trial but it was scheduled to last weeks to a month. I couldn't afford it. Point is, this guy robbed a couple at gunpoint in a very public place and still killed them. You never know.

I've been at gun point many times, including by the Po Po and you never know what that person will do. I think in almost every case I would have been justified (except for the Po Po). Thank god California gun laws kept all those guns away from criminals.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top