Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Split peas.

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by lowly monk, Feb 11, 2011.

1. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Does anyone store dry split peas? They seem to keep pretty well in a glass jar in the pantry.
    Thank you,
    shawn.

2. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

I do a lot of lentils as I like the lentils and eat them a lot. They seem to keep pretty good. They are pretty much on par with beans as far as storage goes. I don't think split peas are much different than lentils from a storage stand point. as long as they are low in the percentage of water and oils in them they should last a very very long time when stored properly.

3. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

5 gallon bucket + mylar bag + o2 absorber = 15+ years.

4. Mike1C

Mike1C Western Washington New Member

im putting mine in mylar bags in buckets with 02 absorbers too

5. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I store mine in a crock pot with ham hocks.

6. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Quart sized mason jars have always worked for me and I've not used O2 absorbers in them. What's the difference in 'keeping time' with or without O2 absorbers? No clue... anyone else have an answer to that?

-d

7. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

funny... this is how my wife does it, too. :D

best method i've seen yet.

8. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

The cool thing about lentils and split peas is they don't take as long to cook as beans.

9. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Lentils, split peas, beens, rice and corn. All the essentials for life. Of course, the hocks or bacon slices help a whole lot, and a slab of corn bread with butter slathered all over it..........

10. mxitman

mxitman N. Seattle Member

I just did a rotation of split peas into our pantry upstairs from our basement pantry, We use a large 1 gallon plastic container.. I think it used to be a Miracle Whip type container to store them in upstairs, last us about a year or so.

The bucket I pulled them from was packed in 1998.. for Y2K...;) This is the 2nd 4 gallon bucket of split peas I've cracked into, no problems with spoilage or anything like that. Same thing with all the other packaged items. I packed them with O2 absorbers and just plastic bags, no mylar at the time. But I did seal the plastic with a heat sealer.

We also fixed a box of Pasta Roni from Aug 2005 just for kicks and it tasted just fine...the sauce packet was really caked together and I had to mix it first before I added it to the pasta. We had a huge box of these I packed up and forgot about in the garage...