JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do a lot of lentils as I like the lentils and eat them a lot. They seem to keep pretty good. They are pretty much on par with beans as far as storage goes. I don't think split peas are much different than lentils from a storage stand point. as long as they are low in the percentage of water and oils in them they should last a very very long time when stored properly.

Quart sized mason jars have always worked for me and I've not used O2 absorbers in them. What's the difference in 'keeping time' with or without O2 absorbers? No clue... anyone else have an answer to that?

-d

Lentils, split peas, beens, rice and corn. All the essentials for life. Of course, the hocks or bacon slices help a whole lot, and a slab of corn bread with butter slathered all over it..........

I just did a rotation of split peas into our pantry upstairs from our basement pantry, We use a large 1 gallon plastic container.. I think it used to be a Miracle Whip type container to store them in upstairs, last us about a year or so.

The bucket I pulled them from was packed in 1998.. for Y2K...;) This is the 2nd 4 gallon bucket of split peas I've cracked into, no problems with spoilage or anything like that. Same thing with all the other packaged items. I packed them with O2 absorbers and just plastic bags, no mylar at the time. But I did seal the plastic with a heat sealer.

We also fixed a box of Pasta Roni from Aug 2005 just for kicks and it tasted just fine...the sauce packet was really caked together and I had to mix it first before I added it to the pasta. We had a huge box of these I packed up and forgot about in the garage...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top