JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am curious to gather feedback from the community here. Been postponing puttting something like this up here for some time.

I have been working with ODF Forest Grove and together we are looking to start promoting certain locations to use for recreational shooting spots over others.

We are in theory going to spill the beans on a lot of shooting locations throughout Tillamook forest.

Secret spots will not be secret anymore.

With that said, how would you react knowing your spot that may not be frequented very often, is now broadcasted on a flyer as a preferable safe to shoot location?

The goal is to get people away from unsafe shooting spots and into safer spots. Were not only is the area less likely to cause fire, but also safer for other recreational uses like OHV use.

Currently, there are only a handful of majorly known spots. This is causing a lot of trouble. We are seeing folks traveling to Browns Camp, or Wolf Creek, finding these very popular areas full of shooters that got there first. They then continue on in to the next "pull out" they can find and start shooting. Never once checking their backstop or ensuring they are not firing into a OHV trail or if there is even a suitable berm. Some literally just go a few feet down from the pit, pull over, and set up targets on the trees and shoot.

So for the sake of safety and fire prevention. What would you say would be the problem with nudging folks, new and old shooters, in the right direction to better our safety, other recreational users safety, and to prevent fires?

This is where a map of recommended shooting sites would be a valuable tool to have for everyone. If a spot is occupied, you could easily find another on the map. They wouldn't all have to be developed or improved sites, but they would be areas known for safe and appropriate outdoor shooting.

I would hate to see my favorite place promoted. Mostly because once you take a liking to it, visit often, treat it well and you feel a sense of ownership for it, it's hard to see it get revealed to any and everyone. It may even make my heart sink just a little.

It is, however, public land and open to all. It will happen sooner or later. So, I would then tend to go on weekdays or off hours if I could. I would also be exploring the map to find the other recommended places. Along the way, I may find a new favorite spot that not many travel to.

Overall, it's a good thing to have these safer places. Considering the concerns for fire and other recreational activity, if my favorite spot got put on a map, I would not put up too much of a fuss about it.

Cogs

instead of sending people to other spots which are safe, how about closing those down which are unsafe and creating new places which are safe?

that seem to me the better solution if indeed the goal is safety.

sending folks to other spots may or may not work. creating new spots will keep those 'secret' spots from being over-run and will certainly give a warm and fuzzy feeling to a group of folks who feel continuously attacked for exercising their rights on land which is called theirs (public). And you will net the same amount of places instead of losing spots.

ODF is working on shutting down unsafe sites. Not an overnight type thing, but it is in the works. They are also working to improve sites as well.

If we as gun owners and active shooters can eliminate some of the unsafe behavior by promoting safer sites, is it worth it? Our word of mouth will work much faster than the pace of any governing agency.

Glad that's not happening here....

Nice to be able to go shoot and not have a bunch of city people out in the boonies. The meth heads are bad enough, no need to make it worse.

Open more shooting ranges within urban areas.

I guess in my opinion, there should be able to be two separate lists. One where you know the people will be responsible, and respectful, and another for the general public.
I really don't have a dog in this fight (as I shoot on my own land) but if there where a few private-ish spots, and then spill the beans on the rest, fine with me. Then you could focus on the public sites, on clean ups and such. If there were a few members who could tell you of a certain unspoiled site or two, would you be willing to leave those off the beans list?

I think its a great idea. Irritate a handful of regulars so that thousands, maybe even tens of thousands, will have better resources.. Yea. When i was a new shooter, looking for places to shoot was such a PITA and waste of time that i just didnt shoot much. I know tons of others are in the same position.

Upside, for all the irritated "regulars" - they now get to bore/annoy the crap out of everyone else with back before anyone else shot here sentiments.

I guess in my opinion, there should be able to be two separate lists. One where you know the people will be responsible, and respectful, and another for the general public.
I really don't have a dog in this fight (as I shoot on my own land) but if there where a few private-ish spots, and then spill the beans on the rest, fine with me. Then you could focus on the public sites, on clean ups and such. If there were a few members who could tell you of a certain unspoiled site or two, would you be willing to leave those off the beans list?

In a theory the map will contain only sites those are willing to add. If a member has something not on the map and doesn't want to add it, it will never get added.

I'm still looking into how these google maps work. I'm sure there is a way to get it were anyone can add, but not everyone can remove.

I've done some homework on Google maps and I am going to get one going here this week. Likely by Thursday or Friday on my days off. Hoping to get a few good, safe spots up and go from there. Looking at ways to inter lay things on Google maps and Google Earth. Trying to see what would work best and then be able to link here and stick. Perhaps create a sticky thread where members that are willing to give out site infos can put in the details and then I will add to the map...?

Ideally i would love to have something along the lines of the oregonhikers.org map where pictures can be added along with details listing what the site may be best used for. IE 100 yards or pistol only.

I've done some homework on Google maps and I am going to get one going here this week. Likely by Thursday or Friday on my days off. Hoping to get a few good, safe spots up and go from there. Looking at ways to inter lay things on Google maps and Google Earth. Trying to see what would work best and then be able to link here and stick. Perhaps create a sticky thread where members that are willing to give out site infos can put in the details and then I will add to the map...?

Ideally i would love to have something along the lines of the oregonhikers.org map where pictures can be added along with details listing what the site may be best used for. IE 100 yards or pistol only.
An app would be a good tool for this. As long as you didn't need cell service to use it. Can you build it with OnX maps?

Sadly, the broadcasting of certain locations is going too only increase the trash and fires left behind by lazy, ignorant or otherwise reckless shooters.

For every 1 honest, responsible, clean shooter you'll introduce 5 (or more) of the rotten kinds. Until those poor example shooters are taught that what they're doing jeopardizes ALL of our chances of shooting on public land.

Somehow those guys need to get that info and get it into their thick skulls.. Otherwise we're just going to have trash heaps we shoot into acting as berms.

Potentially regularly schedualed clean ups and possibly shooter education seminars or similar events would offset the trash left behind by the increased numbers of new shooters.

But all that is just my opinion based on what Ive seen when it comes to popular shooting spots in the past. Otherwise, yes I do like the general idea. My concerns are only to better the shooting community.. But Im a pessimist.

:s0101:
Exactly what I was going to say when I came back to this thread.

It will just add to the growing trash problems you see now.

3 years from now those shooting spots in the map will be closed for dumping and the hikers will have new places to blaze trails.

As a side note - make friends on here and you will find shooting spots.

I've shared many with numerous people but not broadcast this information but selects people who already respected the land and the hobby.

Sadly, the broadcasting of certain locations is going too only increase the trash and fires left behind by lazy, ignorant or otherwise reckless shooters.

I have to agree with ZA_Survivalist on this one....
Places like Browns Camp, Salmonberry and Wolf Creek are no secrets and already heavily used and heavily trashed let them have them. Consider many newcomers don't even know these popular locations so my suggestion is to give them those on a map and see how it goes this summer.
If they get even more trashed, I would work with law enforcement on issuing tickets and fines before giving out more locations.

I know I wont be volunteering my location it would be sad to see it abused, I guess I should dedicate a day to scouting a new spot even further out if were going to give away the close in places more shooters will come.

I don't do the forest that much. That's one reason I love to go to the clean-ups! A bunch of safe friendly people showing and shooting after we work! IF I did shoot the forest I'm not sure there's anyway I'd want my shooting spots put out for the world to see.

How about more signage, like the one refurbished on Saturday. "Attention Target Shooters" "READ HERE FIRST!" Rules to follow regarding the proper setting for a shooting spot you find on your own. Wording to the effect that those caught shooting with only a low berm/targets on trees/shooting glass/not picking up as you shoot (which may indicate you have no intention of cleaning up after yourself) may be in line for citation, or having areas close off completely?

i keep coming back to the Tillamook clean-up when Jason with the other crew cleaned up a couple of other spots, and as they were headed back to base drove past on of the cleaned spots and there were a couple of guys hanging glass all over trees to shoot! We really think announcing via Google Maps would be a good thing? Hmmm?

Bunch of armatures should be at a proper range with RSO's.

Not out in the sticks where they can kill themselves and others.

100% Joe13

yeah, the more I think about it the more I dont like the idea of publishing a map. The aformentioned places that are already popular are often overcrowded and trashed the same day we do cleanups. Seems like if you give them more locations youll just be spreading the trash even more

Ive got a nice spot with a good hillside clearcut out to 400+ yds in the area not far from a popular (trashed) location, I cant imagine that staying clean if we tell em where to go. Hate to sound exclusive but IMO finding your spot is like a right of passage if they are not smart enough to find their own they probably are not smart (or safe) enough to keep it clean.

some alternative suggestions...

*spend the effort with an education campaign spreading flyers and info at LGSs like Hillsboro Sportsmans. (I donated such a flyer here last fall...). Sportsmans regularly hold classes there for other things (chl), put on a "new shooter/public land shooting" class.

*work with ODF and the sherrif to hold a new shooter sight in day at one of the popular locations each summer. With LEO present nobody will step out of line out there and we would have the chance to teach new shooters safety, cleanup, and etiquette.

I have no idea how realistic thes ideas are but just brainstorming here but these get us engaged with new shooters directly and in person which I think will have more positive impact...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top