JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally made it over to Fort Rock area for some varmint shooting! Always an awesome time.

i-hTQPHCw-L.jpg

Despite a thunder shower mid Saturday afternoon, the shooting was surprisingly good!

The AR primarily served rabbit duty, but saw more rat shooting inside of 100 yards too.

i-pFhrTbk-L.jpg

i-VnPgBDp-L.jpg

i-6Rnw46T-L.jpg

i-3RfzPdB-L.jpg

[CLICK LINK BELOW FOR VIDEO]
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VKkRLrL/0/1280/i-VKkRLrL-1280.mp4

The babies were out in full force, made for some fun shooting. These were all shot off of one mound.

i-Mfhcw3d-L.jpg

The 17 HMR served as primary rat duty. Put nearly 400 rounds through it in a day and a half!

i-2fmTJvn-L.jpg

BEWARE OF GORE, VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION....
Also note the remaining photos were taken with my iPhone, video still with the DSLR.

Set up the camera in a likely spot to get a kill shot... Too much work to do more than once.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-g7wjKvw/0/1280/i-g7wjKvw-1280.mp4

.17 HMR VS rat

i-K9z3GjT-L.jpg

Because I may have a twisted sense of humour...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ctkJB3W/0/1280/i-ctkJB3W-1280.mp4

Some stills :eek:

i-GP5zvvr-L.png

i-k4Jw4DN-L.png

i-6VSqq6T-L.png

Spot lighting rabbits is definitely my favorite part. One guy driving, one guy spotlighting, one guy way trigger happy with an AR. Doesn't get much better than that! Rabbits have a bit of a "water-balloon" effect when hit with a hot loaded 55gr SP SX or 55gr V-Max. I'd say we bagged upwards of 40 in the first night.

i-FZJzMLD-L.jpg

i-VKrSZ22-L.jpg

i-qSxqSXh-L.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

DISCLAIMER: Small animals were most definitely harmed in the making of this thread.

:D

Last Edited:
Oh LAWRD that's disgusting but so much awesomeness I grew a full beard just looking at this thread.

I showed a buddy this thread. His name used to be Barry Gibb.

Funny thing is now he must be called Barry White because it made his voice drop a full octave.

How did you go about getting permission? DO you know someone there or just go up to a farm house? Seams getting permission is getting harder and harder to get each year. Got to be very careful to stay on private land and roads when spotlighting. As thats a big ticket if caught on public roads/land.

Looked like you were on a farm - did you know the owner or were you shooting on public lands? Just curious how you picked your location.

(Looks Mark and I had the same questions).

I showed a buddy this thread. His name used to be Barry Gibb.

Funny thing is now he must be called Barry White because it made his voice drop a full octave.
:cool:

Looked like you were on a farm - did you know the owner or were you shooting on public lands? Just curious how you picked your location.

(Looks Mark and I had the same questions).
How did you go about getting permission? DO you know someone there or just go up to a farm house? Seams getting permission is getting harder and harder to get each year. Got to be very careful to stay on private land and roads when spotlighting. As thats a big ticket if caught on public roads/land.

We've been hunting on the same land owners property for many years, this particular family owns the majority of the Fort Rock area valley.
But you are right, permission is very difficult to attain these days. I would say a select few ruin it for all, but in reality there are more oblivious/disrespectful shooters than not these days. Sad.
We plan on maintaining our relationship with this family, indefinitely!

Finally made it over to Fort Rock area for some varmint shooting! Always an awesome time.

View attachment 292930

Despite a thunder shower mid Saturday afternoon, the shooting was surprisingly good!

The AR primarily served rabbit duty, but saw more rat shooting inside of 100 yards too.

View attachment 292931

View attachment 292932

View attachment 292933

View attachment 292934

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VKkRLrL/0/1280/i-VKkRLrL-1280.mp4

The babies were out in full force, made for some fun shooting. These were all shot off of one mound.

View attachment 292936

The 17 HMR served as primary rat duty. Put nearly 400 rounds through it in a day and a half!

View attachment 292937

BEWARE OF GORE, VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION....
Also note the remaining photos were taken with my iPhone, video still with the DSLR.

Set up the camera in a likely spot to get a kill shot... Too much work to do more than once.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-g7wjKvw/0/1280/i-g7wjKvw-1280.mp4

.17 HMR VS rat

View attachment 292939

Because I may have a twisted sense of humour...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ctkJB3W/0/1280/i-ctkJB3W-1280.mp4

Some stills :eek:

View attachment 292941

View attachment 292942

View attachment 292943

Spot lighting rabbits is definitely my favorite part. One guy driving, one guy spotlighting, one guy way trigger happy with an AR. Doesn't get much better than that! Rabbits have a bit of a "water-balloon" effect when hit with a hot loaded 55gr SP SX or 55gr V-Max. I'd say we bagged upwards of 40 in the first night.

View attachment 292944

View attachment 292945

View attachment 292946

Hope you enjoyed!

DISCLAIMER: Small animals were most definitely harmed in the making of this thread.

:D
Did you have to get permission from the land owner?

So let's say that I, as an inhabitant of the suburbs, wanted to go out and do some varminting. What's the etiquette for approaching landowners about shooting on their property? I'm always hesitant to just walk up and knock on a strangers door, I feel like these days people don't appreciate that. Or is that considered acceptable behavior out in the sticks? Could I just locate a suitable spot, find the owners house, and "cold call" them? Offer my services as a pest exterminator (upon my payment of the appropriate trespass fee)?

So let's say that I, as an inhabitant of the suburbs, wanted to go out and do some varminting. What's the etiquette for approaching landowners about shooting on their property? I'm always hesitant to just walk up and knock on a strangers door, I feel like these days people don't appreciate that. Or is that considered acceptable behavior out in the sticks? Could I just locate a suitable spot, find the owners house, and "cold call" them? Offer my services as a pest exterminator (upon my payment of the appropriate trespass fee)?

We've knocked on many a farmers door in our day. Some don't mind, some do.

I've heard a good way to start is to swing by the local bar/restaurant and ask around. Prepare to bring something to barter with... 22 ammo is a staple. Booze sometimes does the trick.
Another thought, drive around and look for "Hay for Sale" signs, and call the phone number on the sign. Easy, less "invasive" way to make contact.

Just be polite, and don't be pushy. You should be able to find something.
Really just depends how motivated you are :D

Personally If someone came knocking on my door asking to shoot on my land I probably wouldn't be too happy either.
I don't trust any one and wouldn't want some jack wagon getting all trigger happy and throwing some lead towards my house or kids.

But a little sluething work and you could find a phone number. Or find a real estate agent, and they can find it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top