JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WRT to shooting on public lands what is the consensus here on what is an acceptable amount of spent casings left behind?

I like the idea of placing a tarp down to collect brass but I practice scenario or IDPA style drills when shooting and move around too much, spent brass can be anywhere. Regardless, typically when I'm done you cant tell I've been there (or contributed to anything already there from others) and its difficult to find any spent casings that are mine. I always pick up and walk around and try to find any and all spent casings but cant guarantee I get every single one, my rough guess is I get about 90%... give or take. If this is a problem, I'd like to recognize that and find a way to correct it. What say folks?

New rule. Everyone must have their name engraved on each casing when purchased. Address, phone number, SS# and mothers maiden name are also required. (May require bigger bullets).
o_Oo_Oo_O

I don't see a problem with your action plan, Koda. It's good to hear you HAVE a plan. Most people don't! Your getting what you can and then some, I'm sure. I've been seeing several people out just picking up brass. It could be for reloading or just for cash, but folks are clearing a lot of it out of the forest. Now too bad they won't pick up shotgun hulls!

Cogs, shhhhhh dont give the antis any ideas!

Yeah I typically pick up any other brass I see lying around but if its a spot where others frequent I cant get the all sometimes.... and such I've been using more remote/less popular spots.

What sucks is I dont reload and I've got a plastic shopping bag full of brass

Koda I do about the same, I try and police the brass best I can and we try and take 2x back the trash we find as opposed to any we brought. The new laws here upping landfill cost will however keep me from taking large objects like Washers or TV's I had in the past.

If ya pack out more than you brought your doin good. I like to get a few large garbage bags ( if I remember bags:rolleyes: ) usually raking up the shells. There's always some left behind so it doesn't matter who's it was. TVs and big stuff I smash apart when I get em home and make em fit in the garbage can. They charge me $6 extra when I leave the bags out with the garbage . Well worth being able to go shout where I like.

Koda I do about the same, I try and police the brass best I can and we try and take 2x back the trash we find as opposed to any we brought.
...thinking about it doing this more than compensates for any of my missed shells left behind. The only problem I have at the popular spots is I will never be able to get ALL the shells lying around within a reasonable amount of cleanup time but I can sometimes get it to where its not so obviously trashed. I found a tip for cleaning up others shooting trash is to start with the bright shiny or noticeable objects first, then if I fill up my trash bag what's left is much less noticeable even if I don't get it all and the area looks much cleaner.

Good deal, yea if we just all do a little it will make a difference. I just don't want the day to come that BLM, and Counties say no more shooting on public lands due to trash left by shooters. I have a paid range a few miles from my house, so I can still shoot but there is something very human about shooting out in the wilderness area with nature as opposed to paid ranges. I have noticed a slowing of shooters in my area due to ammo shortages in the past so things have been staying clean, but now waiting for fire regulations that are having a no shooting hold on almost all open target areas we normally go to.

Bring a garden rake and shovel and trash bags
Make a 2' frame with 1/4" hardware screen in the middle.
Rake up the areas you shoot, dump the heap of rakings into the frame and screen out the dirt. Dump the finds into the trash bag.
Give the bag away, sort it, sell the brass, etc.

... The new laws here upping landfill cost will however keep me from taking large objects like Washers or TV's I had in the past.
Hey Hopper, I've found this works up here on Nat Forest & DNR land... Contact the agency that manages the land, (BLM, DNR or USFS), and ask them where you could drop off some trash bags. Most of them are more than happy to take them for you. Sometimes we will even leave them along the road and call them to let them know where they are.

It should work there as it does around here.

Hey Hopper, I've found this works up here on Nat Forest & DNR land... Contact the agency that manages the land, (BLM, DNR or USFS), and ask them where you could drop off some trash bags. Most of them are more than happy to take them for you. Sometimes we will even leave them along the road and call them to let them know where they are.

It should work there as it does around here.

Great, sure thing I will definitely look into it thanks Cogs.:s0101:

I'm a brass hound.

Was shooting the other day with a buddy and I pointed out some brass on the ground. He shakes his head and laughs.. "Only you man, only you would spot a piece of brass a mile away"

I leave with more than I came with. I shoot at the range not in the forests though.

I'm a brass hound.
Was shooting the other day with a buddy and I pointed out some brass on the ground. He shakes his head and laughs.. "Only you man, only you would spot a piece of brass a mile away"
I leave with more than I came with. I shoot at the range not in the forests though.

I too save brass I can find have several coffee cans packed with it, I don't reload but still save it just cause.

i'll be more than happy to take some off your hands. :D

Hehe, I would be glad to but need to keep them as every once in a while I go in in the shop and open the can and it works are a airfreshener , nothing like the smell of spent gunpowder in the morning. I think it works like a Pheromone cause wife likes it too .:s0112::s0112::s0112:

I've been up shooting and had guys show up not even shooting just to pick up the brass to resale it . Its the Steel cases stuff and shot gun hulls that get left behind.

If you go to harbor freight you can get a extended magnet its great for picking steel cases you don't even need to bend down. Turn your kids loose with a couple of them.

I've been up shooting and had guys show up not even shooting just to pick up the brass to resale it . Its the Steel cases stuff and shot gun hulls that get left behind.

If you go to harbor freight you can get a extended magnet its great for picking steel cases you don't even need to bend down. Turn your kids loose with a couple of them.

Picks up most shot shells as well. I was surprised how many of them use steel in the end

For me, What ever I bring in I take out.

I also tend to shoot trash left behind
(various targets or clay) that too, by my own personal rule makes the trash mine. I always take some trash back home with me.

When I have a solid afternoon Id like to clean up Salmonberry road and do what they've done at Mt. Hood on a Saturday/Sunday with an into booth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top