JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Odd, back when I was trap alot I seem to remember lining up the front and mid beads with the pigion aka aiming my single shot Remington 870. Thease days I use both the front and rear sighrs on my 37 Deerslayer.

The mid bead was meant to check for proper gun mount in clay sports that allowed a pre-mounted gun (American Skeet/Trap). You mounted the gun on your hold point, checked the beads to see if they were stacked on top of each other (forming a figure 8) which ensured the gun was properly mounted, then shifted your focus to the house and called for the bird.

Generally don't see mid beads on guns strictly for low gun shooting (hunting, International skeet/trap, etc.) as you don't have time to be screwing around. You either mount the gun right or you don't.

From what I've seen, if someone shoots better when they close the off eye its because there is some kind of dominance issue going on. Its pretty obvious with people who are strongly cross dominant as you can stand behind them while they shoot and they'll routinely be shooting several feet off to the side. Easy fix, close the off eye, but you lose your depth perception as well as a chunk of peripheral vision. Better fix is to block the off eyes center of focus with a small piece of tape over the correct spot on your shooting glasses. You get depth perception and peripheral vision back. Best fix is to switch shooting hands so the dominant eye and shooting hand match up, but that can be very awkward for most people and takes a lot of practice.

Some people just don't have a strongly dominant eye and the other eye may take over occasionally. First two fixes mentioned will work, but switching hands may not.

Pretty much impossible to diagnose at the key board. Only way to find out is get with somebody who can work with you and see what the problem is.
...but if I can hit the target with regularity with one eye closed, do I still have a problem?
For me, closing one eye allows me to "see" the gun and the bird. With both eyes open, I see two guns. Which one do I line up to the bird?
…,meanwhile the bird flies away.
Makes Dean a sad boy. Know what I''m sayin'?
Seems to me, closing one eye fixes that problem.....but if I understand you correctly, shooting left handed with left hand dominant eye IS a fix...right?

Dean

Last Edited:
@DeanMk
Yes shooting left handed may be a fix for what seems to be going on here...

That said...
Shooting long guns left handed can also bring on new issues..such as expended shells frying across ones face , gun controls set for a right handed person can be awkward to use ....And of course the whole learning to shoot and carry a new way.

I started shooting , when as a kid lefthanded...and it was a drag...so learning to shoot right handed , when young and before developing many shooting habits , was a bit easier...then it would be if I had to do it now.

If you do well enough and still are safe with how you already shoot...then is might be best to leave well enough alone.
Andy

...but if I can hit the target with regularity with one eye closed, do I still have a problem?
For me, closing one eye allows me to "see" the gun and the bird. With both eyes open, I see two guns. Which one do I line up to the bird?
…,meanwhile the bird flies away.
Makes Dean a sad boy. Know what I''m sayin'?
Seems to me, closing one eye fixes that problem.....but if I understand you correctly, shooting left handed with left hand dominant eye IS a fix...right?

Dean

The double vision thing is a new wrinkle.

If you're seeing double on the gun, and its not fatigue related, then you have something going on with your vision (very weak dominance, weaker vision in one eye, etc.) that won't allow an unaided both eyes open technique. As I said in my previous post, your only option is to block one eye either by simply closing it or using the shooting glasses technique I described. Switching hands won't help.

Again, impossible to diagnose on the net.

As Andy said, do what works. If you really want to figure it out, you'll need to get some help. Best place to start would be the local clay target range.

Thanks for your help guys.
I don't see any of this, personally, as any kind of problem. This is likely due to the fact that I learned to adapt at a young age (I think I was 4 years old when I first shot a gun) and haven't really given it a second thought since then.
Interesting that I may have some kind of vision problem due to what I've experienced.
I have a physical coming up at the end of the month. I will talk to my doctor about this then.

Dean

I thought this was gonna be about..... Oh well.

You can take your single. But, I'll raise you double (side by side shotgun). So, speaking of a quick reload of a break open shotgun. Take a look at......

In real SASS life it's done like this......

OK, ok....it is a reduced load. And, no auto ejector. But, there it is.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top