JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always looked at every opportunity to speed up reloading processes outside of operating the press. Trimming and brass sorting is very time consuming. After getting my trimming process down I started to look at brass sorting, there just had to be a better way. Low and behold there sure is.
20191122_213150-e1574595531539-630x315.jpg

This is why the sorter comes in handy, I am halfway through this mixed bucket in 6 minutes.
DSC01818-copy2.jpg
This is a sort with the 45ACP/44Magnum/50AE&500S&W tray. I can only see 1 piece of brass in the wrong bucket.
DSC01819-copy2.jpg

DSC01820-copy2.jpg

DSC01821-copy2.jpg

22lr for my first 5 Gallon bucket sort 100% ended up in the trash bin where they are supposed to be. 380&9mm end up in the same container and requires manual sorting just like 38/357. I just sorted all my 38/357 away from everything else in a mixed 5 gallon bucket in 18minutes this time includes the manual sorting of 38&357 from the same bin. I am sure to sort this 5 gallon bucket by hand would have taken me 12 to 20 hours. I have done it before over a number of weeks. I usually do loading in the winter time so in the summer I take all range brass I bring home and just dump it in a 5 gallon bucket. I use to try to keep them sorted at the range but I found myself spending more time doing that than focused on training or shooting it takes the fun out of things for me. This is what happens when your kids leave home or you do not enjoy sorting brass anymore.

ERSIII the key is finding buddies that will go in with you

The finished product and this is only from a quarter of a bucket
DSC01823.jpg

DSC01822.jpg

22lr for my first 5 Gallon bucket sort 100% ended up in the trash bin where they are supposed to be. 380&9mm end up in the same container and requires manual sorting just like 38/357. I just sorted all my 38/357 away from everything else in a mixed 5 gallon bucket in 18minutes this time includes the manual sorting of 38&357 from the same bin. I am sure to sort this 5 gallon bucket by hand would have taken me 12 to 20 hours. I have done it before over a number of weeks. I usually do loading in the winter time so in the summer I take all range brass I bring home and just dump it in a 5 gallon bucket. I use to try to keep them sorted at the range but I found myself spending more time doing that than focused on training or shooting it takes the fun out of things for me. This is what happens when your kids leave home or you do not enjoy sorting brass anymore.

ERSIII the key is finding buddies that will go in with you

The finished product and this is only from a quarter of a bucket
View attachment 635504

View attachment 635505
You really need to take up another hobby where getting ready to having fun doesn't take up more time than the having fun.

@mr.revolverguy , thanks for posting the video. Coupla observations:
  • Yeah, I'm with @tac - the way you started the video, made it sound like total drudgery. You started to get excited as you talked about the sorter.
  • You're wife is awesome.
  • Not surprised at the damage in shipping. I had a Boyt rifle case broken in transit - supposedly the ones you can drive a car over.
  • Really appreciate you showing it in operation, I wanted to see the sorting methodology.
  • That m'fer is loud!!! Made it painful to watch. When I wet tumble my brass, it's out of earshot.
  • As I saw brass inside of brass - that gunks up my cleaning process and probably your sorter's ability to sort. My macro sorting is done before wet tumbling so all my brass gets cleaned. Cases inspected and sorted in this step.
  • I think this is useful for those who pick up thousands of range brass. My observation out here is the guys sell it for range scrap.

I have always looked at every opportunity to speed up reloading processes outside of operating the press. Trimming and brass sorting is very time consuming. After getting my trimming process down I started to look at brass sorting, there just had to be a better way. Low and behold there sure is.
This is why the sorter comes in handy, I am halfway through this mixed bucket in 6 minutes.
This is a sort with the 45ACP/44Magnum/50AE&500S&W tray. I can only see 1 piece of brass in the wrong bucket.
Glad I'm not in the lane beside you at the range, because hot brass must be falling like rain! :)

I'm thinking the need for such devices mostly rests with commercial remanufacturers of ammo. As a hobbyist, I don't see the need. Either for speed or care and caution in finding rejects/culls/defectives. I'm never in a hurry for doing anything in reloading. I agree, some processes are arduous such as trimming and I'm all for easier methods. But not necessarily faster. If it's easier, just as effective and faster, that's a plus.

For my own shooting, if I'm not going to rebox the empty cases for some reason and the cases are loose, I'll take a brown Kraft paper bag for each cartridge type. That way no separation is required later. Some hobbyists do come across mixed lots of range brass. I've done so in the past. In my experience it has become rarer over time due to the value of and demand for the material.

Being poor, I rarely take more than two guns to the range at any one visit. And unlike some here, who labour under the illusion that they and they alone are responsible for reducing the ammunition stocks of the planet single-handed, I rarely shoot more than fifty shots at a time, even .22 [unreloadable though it is]. Our .22 is at least twice as expensive as yours, even when it's made here by the billion - you get it cheaper, and because you can also bulk-buy, even cheaper than cheaper. Our version of 'cheaper than dirt' prices would leave you gasping, that's a dead certainty.

See, I don't have any kind of a 9mm cheapo handgun, only a BP revolver that costs very little to shoot, on account of me shooting small remodelled pieces of our local medieval church roof, restored a few years ago, and thus a source of pre-atomic lead for free [to me, anyhow].

Apart from the two .308s, my rifle calibre are a trifle esoteric - not much - but enough to give me botheration about shooting a lot of it. Also, hereabouts, and it the rest of this part of the world, we police our own empties, and don't go around prowling for other people's - they get pee'd off if you hovered around them with a catchnet, 'sides they have to be shooting the same calibre as you to be of any use.

So y'see, here there really is no point in having thousands of empties, simply because most of us can't actually HAVE more than a couple of hundred of one calibre at a time - it's the law. My original hoard of Lapua cases for a couple of calibres has lasted me at least ten years or so, and my five hundred .357 nickel cases are prolly down to 450 - after eighteen years of shooting them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to a range with ten or twenty different guns in many different calibres, and let loose like Saving Private Ryan, but here?

It just isn't going to happen.

Last Edited:
guys it is not ike I am extremely wealthy or anything I would say we are a very frugal family. When I am at the range the fun that I find is accurate rifles and pistols along with camaraderie of family and friends. Almost everytime while on the range there is at least two of us and most times up to 5 of us. So brass get mixed up no matter what of different calibers. Everyone that is usually there with me will pickup their empty brass and toss it right in my bag. I am not going to stop the fun or tell them if you would please keep it sorted :) some how I think that might make them stop picking up for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top