JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fastest I ever drove was back in 1978. Bought a 76 Polara that had belonged to a captain in the WA State Patrol. 440 magnum, Carter Thermoquad carb, race cam but not a full race cam. All of it done by order of this cop, not me. Gas crisis made these cars practically worthless, and my boss picked it up for me at the local car auction. (I worked selling used cars for a while back then.)

This thing...my God it was fast. The needle went to 160 and I buried it a couple of times. But traffic on the I-5 was a lot less back then in certain areas, especially in the early morning hours. The only thing that would happen when it got past 140 was a slight up and down motion, otherwise it almost seemed not have any limits. Slow off the line, but once you got past 20, it was a beast. It also sucked gas like a dog. One good two-mile run with your foot on the floor, and the gas needle would drop an eighth of a tank. You noticed it went down SOME anyway. I think I got ten miles a gallon driving nice, and seven or eight when I didn't. When you REALLY floored it for a while, I am not sure but it wasn't good.

I had to get rid of it. The gas was making me poor....QUICKLY.

There are a few places left in the USA where you can probably go about as fast as you want, and chances are low you will get caught. Nevada has some. A couple of the side two-lane highways coming off Highway 50, between Fallon and Ely...I mean there is just NOTHING out there for miles and miles. Highway 50 itself has signs that say 'Loneliest Road in America' and they ain't kidding. (I lived in Eureka, NV for a while.) But some of the secondary highways, like 361, that head south off the 50 highway...there is just nothing except desert and the occasional ranch. Don't break down out there LOL. There is one place out there when you look off to the side, you see nothing but what looks like the Bonneville Salt Flats. White hard surface, flat as a pancake. Goes for miles with mountains on the horizon. You could do 2,000 yard accuracy tests out there. I think its where they set off a couple of the A bombs.

The+Loneliest+Road+In+America+Street+Sign.jpg hi50.jpg DryLakeNearHighway50.jpg
Only problem I see is the lack of a backstop. But it does have some height in the center. There isn't even a ranch in the area for many miles.

Last Edited:
192 mph could be just a 60 second blast up through the gears and then back down. I have done that quite a few times but never got past 135 to 140 mph. There were a few times I held 130 mph plus or so for long periods like 3 to 5 miles on deserted long straight roads. Tons of time spent in the 80 to 90 mph range and tons of time going well above the speed limit turning and burning up and down through twistier back roads. I drove all manor of cars but the one I remember most was a 1969 dodge polara California CHP car that had a 440 magnum engine. Bought that for 250.00 when I was 17. It had torsion bar front suspension and could be lowered by turning a large adjustment bolt, so I lowered it as much as possible then made lowering blocks for the rear. Put on huge stock car special tires, 14" wide rear and 12" wide fronts bought on chrome race style rims from a guy who raced stock cars. Used a jigsaw to cut out the fenders then banged out small fender flares like a nascar racer. It was a street version of a dodge NASCAR....

Not the same model, but similar in spirit!

Dodge street-fighter.png

For those who still crave the speed

There must be some kind of limitations on this... What does a set of tires for an exotic car cost? I know I would be billed for a new set of tires after I was done. :p

I am vary familiar with this track but never drove a lap on it. I go to the vintage racing event they put on every year around the first of July.

Vintage as in 1060's trans am and can am cars.

Not doddering old 1920's car lumbering around.

Pacific Northwest Historics | SOVREN

~

There must be some kind of limitations on this... What does a set of tires for an exotic car cost? I know I would be billed for a new set of tires after I was done. :p

I am vary familiar with this track but never drove a lap on it. I go to the vintage racing event they put on every year around the first of July.

Vintage as in 1060's trans am and can am cars.

Not doddering old 1920's car lumbering around.

Pacific Northwest Historics | SOVREN

~

Stock exotic cars and it's a blast. The only limitation (From the one I did in Portland) is the track chicanes that limit top speeds to probably around 150 mph before you have to brake for the turns But I felt it was worth it. 0-60 in under 3 seconds. A professional race car driver rides along and helps guide you So you can get the most out of it. Just wish it was more than 3 laps.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top