JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll see if I can answer your questions from the top.

1. Matches are fun!
2. See Match Info – ORSS.org
3. Matches are shot year round (rain or shine).
4. A clean match (no misses) is 150rds. Double that and you should have plenty to make it thru the match.
5. Matches are held at Tri County Gun Club in Sherwood, OR on the 1st Sunday of every month.
Entry fee is 12 bucks. You do not have to be a member of TCGC to shoot the match.

If you need more details, just ask!:)

If you are not a member, you are welcome to shoot. I would contact Nick to see if you need a gate code to get in if you're not a member or for any other info. Speed Steel Match @ Bays 1,2,3,8,9,10 (2016-01-03)

Definitely come to the next one! The matches are a lot of fun, and speed steel is a great place to start for your first competition.

Make sure to note the no muzzle above the berm rule....they WILL DQ you if it happens.

In addition to the good advice from Glockgal and Spookie,
remember to bring ear and eye protection, a brimmed hat or cap, water and sunscreen for the summer heat, maybe some chow (we shoot from roughly 9:00-1:00), and enough ammo and mags.

As for mags, 5 is preferable, as there are 5 strings per stage.
If you are using higher-capacity mags, you can get by with fewer.
In a pinch, other squad members will be willing to load mags while your emptying them.

Come by sometime and shoot with us...chances are you'll really enjoy it, and it will become a part of your shooting and training schedule.

What are the stages like, what do you mean 5 strings per stage? How many stages? What are the distances? Are they all like the posted video at about 15-20 yards it looks like? Is that just for 22 carbines? Are handgun ranges shorter or longer? Would I be good using five 10rd mags for a 22? Thanks for all the help guys! With work and wife willing, I will be at the next shoot!

Ok, a match looks like this...
-We take 6 bays during the match.
-You sign up on a particular squad, and stay with that squad all day. Each squad is assigned a bay where they start the match.
-Each squad cycles through each bay, one after another.
-Each bay has a unique array of steel targets (usually 5 target).
Distances range from 5 to 40 yards. Handguns and rifles (carbines) shoot the same array of targets.
-You get 5 "strings", or attempts, to shoot (and hit) the targets as quickly as possible. Your best 4 times count, the worst time is thrown out. (5) 10-round mags for a .22 (either pistol or carbine) is the norm.
-At the end of the match, aggregate times determine your position. Fastest overall time wins, both for overall, and for each individual class of firearm/optic combo...
-there is no moving. Once you're in the shooting box, you stay there.
-no need for speedy reloads. The timer stops after your last shot on each string. You can load your next magazine into the gun slowly and safely. When you're ready to shoot the next string, the Range Officer will ascertain you're ready, then start the timer. At that point, you engage the targets

The goal is to be safe, and have fun, in that order.
Hope to see you there.

In addition, once you get to the line, make sure you don't do anything until the range officer tells you to-leave the gun cased/holstered and unloaded until the RO tells you to load and make ready. He will give you commands after you shoot to ensure your gun is safely unloaded and put away. Just tell him you are a new shooter and he will safely walk you through the match.

Last Edited:
Ok, a match looks like this...
-We take 6 bays during the match.
-You sign up on a particular squad, and stay with that squad all day. Each squad is assigned a bay where they start the match.
-Each squad cycles through each bay, one after another.
-Each bay has a unique array of steel targets (usually 5 target).
Distances range from 5 to 40 yards. Handguns and rifles (carbines) shoot the same array of targets.
-You get 5 "strings", or attempts, to shoot (and hit) the targets as quickly as possible. Your best 4 times count, the worst time is thrown out. (5) 10-round mags for a .22 (either pistol or carbine) is the norm.
-At the end of the match, aggregate times determine your position. Fastest overall time wins, both for overall, and for each individual class of firearm/optic combo...
-there is no moving. Once you're in the shooting box, you stay there.
-no need for speedy reloads. The timer stops after your last shot on each string. You can load your next magazine into the gun slowly and safely. When you're ready to shoot the next string, the Range Officer will ascertain you're ready, then start the timer. At that point, you engage the targets

The goal is to be safe, and have fun, in that order.
Hope to see you there.

I know this thread is way old but THANK YOU for explaining this!

If someone new wanted to try this out does TCGC have provisions for someone who CCs to disarm on arrival and rearm for the drive home? Or is it expected that you not have any loaded weapons on you to join the event except when participating of course.

I would like to add that the people that lead the squads and keep times, sometimes in some pretty adverse conditions, really make this the most fun discipline at TCGC. The organizers who get the scores up on line and keep it all safe and moving along really deserve a hand here.

If someone new wanted to try this out does TCGC have provisions for someone who CCs to disarm on arrival and rearm for the drive home? Or is it expected that you not have any loaded weapons on you to join the event except when participating of course.

As I understand it, TCGC is a cold range meaning no loaded firearms on property except of course at the actual ranges.

just dis-arm in your secured car, join the match, then holster up after the match is over and you're in your vehicle again.

This is probably a good question to ask directly at TC. Give them a call before you go.
However, TC rules state:
Loaded guns are NOT permitted in the clubhouse, office trailer or Indoor Range ready
room except for concealed handguns carried by those legally allowed to carry them. Such
guns must remain concealed.

No one is allowed to uncase or case or otherwise have an uncased gun if they are not
on a firing point on a hot range. If a gun is not in a case it may not be touched

To me that indicates you should arm/disarm only in a hot range. But I would definitely check and clarify the rules.

just dis-arm in your secured car, join the match, then holster up after the match is over and you're in your vehicle again.

Meridian usually has excellent knowledge and advice to offer. His above post is one of the few exceptions.

Do NOT do as suggested above!

Any handling of firearms in one's vehicle while on the TCGC Action Range (and probably all of TCGC property) is a serious rule violation that one should expect to result in match disqualification (with likelihood of ejection from the property).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads