JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I might make it. Cost is $12. You need a gun, three to five mags, a holster and enough bullets to run five strings on six stages. You do not need a holster if you are shooting .22 but do need a gun bag to take to the line. You need to be able to shoot five times without reloading mags. I shoot single stack and have six mags loaded to shoot five strings. Most stages require five or six hits. Most of us take a few extra shots to finish a string. I always take 300 rounds and have rounds left over.

Eyes and ears.

If you have not shot speed steel before they will put you with a group with some experience people to help you out.

You need to be able to hit an 18x 24 plate at 35 yards, and 10" plates at 15 yards or you will be very frustrated.

Jenny and I are definitely going to try to attend.
Is that a definite maybe then. :winkkiss:

I've never been to TCGC or a Speed Steel match but I'm interested. What does it cost? What equipment is needed? Is it ok to just come out to watch?
Guys, do come out. If you're thinking you're just going to watch; bring gun, ammo, mags and $12... just in case. As soon as it starts you'll probably be heading to the stats shack to sign up and join a squad.

Speed Steel is about as low-key as you can get in the world of competitive shooting. Straight forward, simple and a lot of fun. Steel is not high strung like "some other" disciplines, you don't have to wear a "costume" and it's not gear intensive. There is usually never movement, you just stand in the shooter's box and shoot the course of fire (five separate times as rob mentioned). Doesn't mean there's not fast shooters... there's some smoking fast guys out there. Lotta fun and you'll get to shoot quite a bit.

You can bring any gun you have 5 mags for. (Pistol caliber)

Lots of people shoot Walther P22s, Ruger Mark II, Browning Buckmarks.

Some use their carry gun, some use race guns. There are 9mm AR15s, ARs with .22 kits, GSG-5s(my favorite)

If you aren't IPSC certified then you don't have to draw from a holster.

This is the one shooting sport that you don't need any "gear" for.

Just a gun, 5 mags, and a guncase to carry it in(if you don't have a holster)

Shooting is supposed to start at 9:00, so most folks are there about 8:30. ARPC has speed steel on the last Sunday of the month, so I've been shooting back to back Sundays some of the summer. We were bumped for Aug & Sept at ARPC this summer.

My daughter shot steel last summer with no prior experience. You do need to follow the range commands, but if you go as a new shooter to steel they will work with you. You will get one or two folks who will just hang out with you in your squad and walk you through the whole day. No worries.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top