JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 357 lever action

From your questions it seems that you haven't previously been to a TCGC speed steel match and may not be familiar with what it is. Choosing a more typical (in terms of speed steel competition) firearm would be in your best interest for your first (first several?) times participating in the match. Many of the people here can assist you with selecting an appropriate/typical firearm for the match, as well as providing you with a better understanding of the match (what the match expects/requires of you, and what you can expect of the match).

A lever action PCC isn't appropriate for the match (due to reloading issues).

We have a gentleman that regularly squads with us that uses a S&W 357 revolver loaded with 38 special. So a 357 levergun is doable. I think it would be cool if someone did use one.

I wouldn't mind trying this with my Smith. It's a six-shot. What are the usual round count on the strings? I use speedloaders so that might help with reloads. Another issue: I'm used to a FBI style, strong-hand reload that puts the gun upside down. How is that addressed with the "no muzzle above the berm" rule there?

I wouldn't mind trying this with my Smith. It's a six-shot. What are the usual round count on the strings? I use speedloaders so that might help with reloads. Another issue: I'm used to a FBI style, strong-hand reload that puts the gun upside down. How is that addressed with the "no muzzle above the berm" rule there?

The process of reloading a typical/modern revolver (not a side loading, single action, cowboy style revolver) involves rotating the cylinder out of the frame. Once the cylinder has rotated out of the frame, revolvers are allowed to go muzzle up. The muzzle must returned to a "within the bay" orientation prior to the cylinder being closed. The firearm/operator is still required to comply with 180 rules during the reloading process (even if the cylinder is rotated outside the frame) - don't lift the muzzle up to (and slightly past) vertical.

Strings typically require either five or six scoring hits. Revolver competitors are known for the phrase "you absolutely, positively, cannot miss" - meaning that having to do a standing reload is worse than taking the extra moments to get a hit with every shot. (In comparison to guns with a greater capacity, which allows a few misses/make-up shots before being depleted of ammo.

Speedloaders are a big help (and the norm) for revolver shooters at speed steel.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,

ac

Last Edited:
Once the cylinder has rotated out of the frame, revolvers are allowed to go muzzle up. The muzzle must returned to a "within the bay" orientation prior to the cylinder being closed. The firearm/operator is still required to comply with 180 rules during the reloading process (even if the cylinder is rotated outside the frame) - don't lift the muzzle up to (and slightly past) vertical.

Yes, I shoot this revolver in ICORE so I'm very familiar with the protocol regarding breaking the 180 vertically. This is a relief as honestly, I am practicing weak-hand reloads but when the buzzer goes off, so does the brain and one tends to revert to first-trained actions.

Strings typically require either five or six scoring hits. Revolver competitors are known for the phrase "you absolutely, positively, cannot miss" - meaning that having to do a standing reload is worse than taking the extra moments to get a hit with every shot. (In comparison to guns with a greater capacity, which allows a few misses/make-up shots before being depleted of ammo.

Yes, Mike who sets up ICORE in Albany often has a "Speed Steel" style stage or two and have faced the dreaded 5 plate wonder and have two misses. I just take the miss. It kills my score but that's less frustrating than doing a standing reload and then dumping live rounds on the ground to start the next string full up. I'd shoot my 9 mm bottom feeder but I made the mistake of introducing my son to competitive shooting and he's got that piece on permanent borrow. I don't think I could afford to shoot .40 in another sport.

Thanks, you have been helpful. I'll figure something out and probably join you January or February. I'm rehabbing from knee surgery and need a sport without a lot of movement.

Hello All, Merry Christmas!

I'd like to thank Alex from ORSS and those of you who answered the questions I put up the beginning of the month. I've been researching a bit and now think I have all my questions answered, and will be giving this a try in the near future.

I'm thinking of coming out with my boys (16 & 18) and just bringing a .22LR (10/22 in RFC-L or a Mk II in 22-L) so as to get a feel for the matches.

so to recap ... $12 per head to shoot, 3-400 rounds of ammo per shooter, firearm on safe between rounds and until the buzzer sounds, bring all the mags you have to keep things moving and pay attention to TCGC's berm rule.

So if any additional tips are available I'd love to hear them. As it stands right now I will see you all on the 7th.

Hello All, Merry Christmas!

I'd like to thank Alex from ORSS and those of you who answered the questions I put up the beginning of the month. I've been researching a bit and now think I have all my questions answered, and will be giving this a try in the near future.

I'm thinking of coming out with my boys (16 & 18) and just bringing a .22LR (10/22 in RFC-L or a Mk II in 22-L) so as to get a feel for the matches.

so to recap ... $12 per head to shoot, 3-400 rounds of ammo per shooter, firearm on safe between rounds and until the buzzer sounds, bring all the mags you have to keep things moving and pay attention to TCGC's berm rule.

So if any additional tips are available I'd love to hear them. As it stands right now I will see you all on the 7th.

-ear and eye protection for everyone
-firearms need to be cased, unless drawing from a holster. All rifles require a case. Soft case is fine.
-warm clothes. Lots of standing around on cold ground.
-sign in starts around 8...most people arrive around 8:30. Group hug (safety talk) is about 9, then we break into our squads and start. Usually finish around 1:00

Hope you and your boys can make it!

I have not been to one of these matches yet but i want to. I also want to get started in practical rifle competitions. Can i just show up or are there any safety classes that are required before hand? Thanks

I have not been to one of these matches yet but i want to. I also want to get started in practical rifle competitions. Can i just show up or are there any safety classes that are required before hand? Thanks

Prepper - start here: New "Ballistic Sand" in Backstops Enhances Safety | Tri-County Gun Club
Choose the Activities Tab

Contact the Chair/MD/Lead of what ever activity you are planning to join, to get important information.

The Calendar is also available to find out when the next match of that type is scheduled.

Knowing it's Oregon, I plan on rain. Nice thing about Speed Steel is no taping of targets so most of the time you
can hide under the metal canopies if it is raining.

I really like seeing this post during "Speed Steel" week.
Gives me the warm fuzzies knowing I can shot speed steel, have some fun, meet some new people ect.
Rain, shine whatever, just too much fun for a little cost. just sayin"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top