JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@ac4wordplay, is this something you could be of assistance with?

I believe that I spoke with the competitor after the match - I was approached by a competitor regarding a "see RSO" message left on his vehicle. I had no idea why the message was left on the vehicle (there was no parking/vehicle placement issue, etc.). I stated that I was curious about it, and that if he tracked down the RSO to address it, to send the RSO to find me at the action range to educate me about the reason for the message. I also mentioned that I wouldn't have an issue if he left without finding the RSO.

It seems that he connected with the RSO and one mystery was solved, but it lead us to another mystery: why doesn't the RSO know that participation in our match is open to non-members, and that they shouldn't be harassed and treated like trespassers?

The name of the RSO would be helpful (if you have it, please send it to my e-mail or use the "contact us" button on the orss site - I don't monitor this site very well), but I can also take some action without a name.

I'm sorry this happened to one of our competitors. It seems the RSO was confused or operating under a misconception. If this (or anything similar) happens to anyone, please don't argue with the RSO, please be polite, and please direct them to me (immediately, with all of us present) so that I can defend your position for you and help clarify the RSO's understanding of our policy, and hopefully resolve the issue to everyone's satisfaction.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Best,

ac

What is the course of fire at these matches? All the OSS site lists are the safety rules and the firearm divisions. Thanks!

In general.
You come to a box, fixed shooting position.
There are 5 steel targets in front of you.
One is identified as the stop - or last target.
At the beep,
You shoot them how you would best, clock stops when you hit the stop plate. Misses add time.
Do that 4 more times.
Throw out the longest string.
Add the other 4 together. That time is your score.

No running. Nothing tricky (assuming you remember which is the stop)
If it takes more that 10 shots to hit the 5 targets, then 1. Aim, 2. Slow Down, 3. Suck Less. (trigger discipline usually)

Come to shoot. It's a Hoot!

First time, come early, you have to take the Tri-County class. Even if you are something like an USPSA Grand Master.
Also, first time, contact the organizers before you come. link on the page you mentioned.

Are there other public match's one can attend not just speed steel?
Oh yes. Go to the tri county site ad find activities. Activities | Tri-County Gun Club I haven't checked but I think most let non members shoot for a fee.

One more note, the Cowboys shooters, are the most amazingly welcoming people I've ever met. If you go watch them, they will almost MAKE you try their guns and get involved.

Try county has some strict rules for safety, but it is head and shoulders above any other range I have ever been to. If you want to get involved, find an activity and post here or mail with the activity chair. I think you're more than welcome to show up

Last Edited:
In general.
You come to a box, fixed shooting position.
There are 5 steel targets in front of you.
One is identified as the stop - or last target.
At the beep,
You shoot them how you would best, clock stops when you hit the stop plate. Misses add time.
Do that 4 more times.
Throw out the longest string.
Add the other 4 together. That time is your score.

No running. Nothing tricky (assuming you remember which is the stop)
If it takes more that 10 shots to hit the 5 targets, then 1. Aim, 2. Slow Down, 3. Suck Less. (trigger discipline usually)

Come to shoot. It's a Hoot!

First time, come early, you have to take the Tri-County class. Even if you are something like an USPSA Grand Master.
Also, first time, contact the organizers before you come. link on the page you mentioned.

For clarification, TCGC speed steel doesn't require new participants to take a TCGC class. Ric may be referring to TCGC IDPA, which does require new participants to take their class. Ric's recommendation that new participants contact the event organizer (preferably more than 48 hours in advance) is worth repeating. Thanks Ric!

Best,

ac

Can you shoot a ps90 at this? I would probably be shooting 55gr hard cast lead reloads

I don't see a problem with it. The 5.7 is on the approved cartridge list for the action range, which is where Speed Steel takes place.

https://www.tcgc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AR_approved.pdf

Safrole, thanks for asking this question. Although spookshack is correct that TCGC allows use of the caliber at the action range, that list is for individual use fired at the individual's personal targets. The list doesn't reflect speed steel match approval. (As entertaining as it may be to watch someone shoot the match with, say... .460 S&W [also approved for use in the TCGC action range], it would contribute accelerated wear to our targets and stands, with a real risk of damage/failure to them.)

For 5.7, I've asked the question before and the answer has been "no". IIRC, the issue has to do with velocity. Safrole stated he'd "probably be shooting 55gr hard cast lead reloads" (lead reloads would likely be safe on the targets), but "probably" isn't a guarantee, and sometimes people make mistakes, and sometimes people see what others do (without having a full understanding) and follow suit. (In this situation that could lead to people believing that any 5.7 is fine to shoot.) We're not able to provide the supervision to prevent all possible errors/violations that would/could arise if we were to attempt to accommodate everything, so regarding 5.7 the answer has been "no" and I don't expect it to change in the near future.

To Summarize
  • Shooting 5.7 at your own TCGC-approved targets in the action range is approved.
  • Shooting 5.7 at speed steel targets (at speed steel) is not approved.

Best,

ac

Last Edited:
You have a list of the accepted calibers someone can use on speed steel

I'm guessing that's a question (missing a question mark), rather than a statement.

This match has grown from (and is still dominated by) traditional practical shooting competition pistol calibers (9mm, .38, .40, .45) and .22 rimfire. Other calibers make rare appearances (.356 TSW, .357 Sig, .400 Cor-Bon, .50 AE, etc.). Covering all the possible calibers that have ever existed, that would be accepted, is problematic (difficult to compile, and some will inevitably be omitted accidentally), and the vast majority of participants will never need to reference such a list. No list has been distributed.

What do you want to shoot?

ac

Well what he "wants" to shoot and what he is "allowed" to shoot is the crux of it now isn't it Alex....:p

Just funning with you. Glad that you're here on the forum to add your timely insight as well as your vast knowledge of the shooting sports, as it truly does runs deep. :)

Yeah... the 5.7 has been addressed.

Sincere thanks for the kind words. Flattery can be a useful tool, but it isn't guaranteed to improve a competitor's scores.;)

Best,

ac

What about 357 magnum

Trolling? Misguided interest? Or do you sincerely desire to shoot the entire match (achieving hits on all targets/strings/stages, probably over 200 rounds [allowing for some make-up shots]) with magnum loads?

Seems like the the first two are more likely than the latter. Let me know.

Trolling? Misguided interest? Or do you sincerely desire to shoot the entire match (achieving hits on all targets/strings/stages, probably over 200 rounds [allowing for some make-up shots]) with magnum loads?

Seems like the the first two are more likely than the latter. Let me know.
I have a 357 lever action

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top