JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
course of fire:
typically 5 targets per string;
5 strings per stage;
6 stages per match;
Score: toss out worst string per stage;
Raw time; plus misses add 3 seconds each;
Default 30 seconds per uncompleted string.

1) farthest target is barely 50'; steel range in size from 6" to 12x18"; many are 8-12" rounds; all are mounted on stands typically from waist to head high; usually smallest targets are closest to firing line;

2) there is absolutely NO need to have heavy loads;

3) as a long time 'participant' (my geezer-contract stipulates that I remain a 'non-competitor' *kaff*kaff*) ; An absolute need, beyond 'safe' is that ammo/gun be RELIABLE. Struggling to make the durn things work between each fired round is not a good plan.

further comments
I was taught long ago that if I wasn't missing any targets I was shooting too slowly; if I was missing too many I was shooting too fast;

You can not miss fast enough to win; you CAN shoot slow enough to finish the stage regardless of misses;

No target is too large or too close you can not discover a new way to miss it;

Learn the safety rules and FOLLOW them;
If your gun breaks or needs loving attention, there are SAFE zones to perform inspection/repair; NO AMMO in those zones.

It's far more satisfying to finish in the bottom 1/3 than DNF or DQ;

Depending on who's at the match, do not be surprised if a 12 year old with a 10/22 shoots 2 second stages while you labor to finish within the 30-second default window for your first few matches.

Yes, your scores WILL improve with practice. So will everybody else.

Enjoy!!!

NICE! I will be there with the big ginger guy known as @Dyjital
1579910208787.png

How you doin'? Only thing bigger than my size is my heart!
You know, because it's enlarged (no not really).

we gotta get some way to recognize ourselves....
I was in 4, didn't suspect anyone in 3 or 4....had a really great shoot today;
perfect weather & all my ammo worked properly....

Somebody hid this little get together from me... not that I didn't have work anyway! :s0114:
It's good to see folks getting out to participate in shooting sports and having fun together.
I'll try to make it one of these days.
:s0155:

Just remember. Only buy energizer batteries for red dots.
I genuinely think there is another issue with the optic. Because it shut off again when we were shooting suppressed after the event. I gotta contact vortex and RMA it.

I was on squad 4 today also, along with 3 female friends.

We had a couple ladies in our squad. a Mother/daughter pair. Girl couldn't have been more than 16 and she was shooting her rifle faster than I think I could. I was impressed. It is also nice to see other demographics enjoying shooting sports.

Somebody hid this little get together from me... not that I didn't have work anyway! :s0114:
It's good to see folks getting out to participate in shooting sports and having fun together.
I'll try to make it one of these days.
:s0155:

I will tag you next time I put up one of the events.

woo, 23d! ( I'm actually pretty happy about that, this is only the first match of my second year shooting steels. ) I was on squad 4, too, and had a great time. Spotted some, but not all, of the NWFA folks, and had some great conversations.

For a first time out at a match with the CP33, it ran really well. One failure to fire, with a pretty good indentation on the primer, which it has done a couple of times in practice. I think the firing pin is a bit too wide and blunt at the end, compared to every other .22lr I've messed with. Other than that, getting the first round off a magazine into the chamber takes a little fiddling, so I'll probably do a little gentle polishing and shaping to make that smoother. Straight out of the box, with an optic, this thing is already better than any other .22 I've shot.

Looking forward to the next match!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads