Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

specific laws about discharging firearms on owned private property

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by rzrs503, Sep 17, 2012.

1. rzrs503

rzrs503 salem oregon Member

What are the specific laws/rules about discharging a firearm on your own property in oregon? Does it vary by county? I am looking to buy a rural private property/homesite in marion or clackamas county (couple acres). I would like to know if i would be able to target practice on this property so long as there are no homes behind/in the direction of fire, and i constructed a proper backstop or used a natural backstop on the property (and only discharged firearms on this property during daylight hours)?

2. brushbuster

brushbuster Oregon City OR New Member

I live on 8 acres in Clackamas County outside the Oregon City limits and shoot here on a regular basis. About half of my neighbors do also. One guy about a mile away occasionally shoots a lot of rapid fire in the middle of the night and he is the only one I worry about because of the unknowns regarding safety and respect for his neighbors. I believe it is legal outsige of city limits. Have fun and be safe.

3. orygunmike

orygunmike Beaverton, OR Active Member

Hello.

As the Oregon legislature grants the counties and cities authority to determine where firearms can be discharged in their jurisdiction, I believe the best place to get this information is to contact the applicable county offices and get the specific code that deals with your question. For instance, in Washington County, I would contact the Code Enforcement department to determine whether I could shoot on a particular property within the county.

I'll be curious to see if others have additional recommendations

4. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as you aren't within city limits, you are on your own property, and you don't endanger your neighbors.

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  5. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

6. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Also check on Noise ordinances

7. Fredm

Fredm Durham New Member

I am presently under contract for the purchase of about 5 acres just outside Oregon City's limits but within the UGB. I am hoping i will legally be permitted to discharge my firearms on my property. Any useful comments are welcomed.

8. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I would not purchase inside the UGB if you plan in shooting there. Eventually it will become city and you will lose your right to shoot. Just my opinion.