JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are the specific laws/rules about discharging a firearm on your own property in oregon? Does it vary by county? I am looking to buy a rural private property/homesite in marion or clackamas county (couple acres). I would like to know if i would be able to target practice on this property so long as there are no homes behind/in the direction of fire, and i constructed a proper backstop or used a natural backstop on the property (and only discharged firearms on this property during daylight hours)?

I live on 8 acres in Clackamas County outside the Oregon City limits and shoot here on a regular basis. About half of my neighbors do also. One guy about a mile away occasionally shoots a lot of rapid fire in the middle of the night and he is the only one I worry about because of the unknowns regarding safety and respect for his neighbors. I believe it is legal outsige of city limits. Have fun and be safe.

Hello.

As the Oregon legislature grants the counties and cities authority to determine where firearms can be discharged in their jurisdiction, I believe the best place to get this information is to contact the applicable county offices and get the specific code that deals with your question. For instance, in Washington County, I would contact the Code Enforcement department to determine whether I could shoot on a particular property within the county.

I'll be curious to see if others have additional recommendations
What are the specific laws/rules about discharging a firearm on your own property in oregon? Does it vary by county? I am looking to buy a rural private property/homesite in marion or clackamas county (couple acres). I would like to know if i would be able to target practice on this property so long as there are no homes behind/in the direction of fire, and i constructed a proper backstop or used a natural backstop on the property (and only discharged firearms on this property during daylight hours)?

I would like to know if i would be able to target practice on this property so long as there are no homes behind/in the direction of fire, and i constructed a proper backstop or used a natural backstop on the property (and only discharged firearms on this property during daylight hours)?

Yes, as long as you aren't within city limits, you are on your own property, and you don't endanger your neighbors.

166.171 Authority of county to regulate discharge of firearms. (1) A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:

(a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.

(b) A person discharging a firearm in the course of lawful hunting.

(c) A landowner and guests of the landowner discharging a firearm, when the discharge will not endanger adjacent persons or property.

(d) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.

(e) A person discharging a firearm in the course of target shooting on public land that is not inside an urban growth boundary or the boundary of a city, if the discharge will not endanger persons or property.

(f) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §2; 2009 c.556 §1]

166.172 Authority of city to regulate discharge of firearms. (1) A city may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within the city’s boundaries.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:

(a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.

(b) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.

(c) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §3; 2009 c.556 §2]

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

I live on 8 acres in Clackamas County outside the Oregon City limits and shoot here on a regular basis. About half of my neighbors do also. One guy about a mile away occasionally shoots a lot of rapid fire in the middle of the night and he is the only one I worry about because of the unknowns regarding safety and respect for his neighbors. I believe it is legal outsige of city limits. Have fun and be safe.

I am presently under contract for the purchase of about 5 acres just outside Oregon City's limits but within the UGB. I am hoping i will legally be permitted to discharge my firearms on my property. Any useful comments are welcomed.

I am presently under contract for the purchase of about 5 acres just outside Oregon City's limits but within the UGB. I am hoping i will legally be permitted to discharge my firearms on my property. Any useful comments are welcomed.
I would not purchase inside the UGB if you plan in shooting there. Eventually it will become city and you will lose your right to shoot. Just my opinion.

It's an oversimplification.

Within the UGB, but outside of city limits the following applies:

"Intentionally discharges a firearm, blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow or explosive device within the city limits of any city or within residential areas within urban growth boundaries at or in the direction of any person, building, structure or vehicle within the range of the weapon without having legal authority for such discharge."

and

"This section does not apply to:

Persons discharging firearms, blowguns, bows and arrows, crossbows or explosive devices upon public or private shooting ranges, shooting galleries or other areas designated and built for the purpose of target shooting;"

So does that mean if you build a safe and proper shooting area for the purpose of target shooting (backstop, berms, etc etc) are you in the does not apply to catagory?

Also, just shooting into a berm doesn't meet the part of the first subsection, shooting into dirt isn't in the direction of people, buildings, etc etc etc

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top