JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are many criteria to consider when selecting an air gun - The two main ones I can think of are Caliber and type of air gun - for caliber the 2 most common here in the states are either .177 or .22 - there are others but most likely you would have to order your pellets from specialty places like Beeman or RWS. The most common types of air guns are either pump, spring/piston, or CO2. Some of the newer CO2 guns have gone to paintball CO2 type canisters instead of the classic disposable ones. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. For example - a pump gun means you have to pump the gun up between each shot taking time, a spring/piston gun is a single "pump" to compress the spring that drives the piston and provides the power. They are quicker to reload than the pump guns and usually much more powerful than pump guns, however most of them do make a noise when the spring drives the piston forward - it doesn't sound like a gunshot but it makes noise none the less. The CO2 guns are both faster to load and quieter than the others but then you have the issue of having to have CO2 to power the gun as well as pellets.

Good luck with your search!

Depending on the "pests" in question..size, kind, etc... is where you might start. A CO2 rifle like the Crosman 1077 is a nice easy way to go. A Gamo Whisper is another way to go in a "springer" and with the Nitro Piston feature it's quieter anyway. Either one in a .177 or .22 will handle Squirrel size critters up to and beyond 35yards. Just a couple of pellets worth.....shawn

You also might consider that many "cities" have rules against discharge of any kind including paintball guns due to the poor wording of the laws. Something you may want to check into......

I agree with all here and lets not forget another big factor in choosing an airgun...cost.

.177 are great hunters to about 40-50 yards (I own 2) depending on your target. Squirrels yes, crows..not always. If you are going for a pest bigger than a squirrel or further than 50 yards, a .22 is highly suggested.

ok so back to cost...

PCP's like the Benjamin Maraurder is a great all round gun...VERY quiet, powerful for kills up to 150yards (.22) in the right hands. - $400 not including the pump or a scuba tank set up. So really you will be into it a min of $600 but as much as $800

Co2 is ok, I've owned one but sold it. Know power and accuracy can be affected by cold weather. You zero your scope in 70 degree weather but then take it out on cold morning and the zero has moved. Pricey to shoot if you want to shoot alot.

Springers can be fairly quiet. I have a Gamo Whisper .177 that my neighbors say they can't hear from in their house and can barely hear when a door / window is open. My friends and i have done testing and from 40 yards away all you hear is the ffffssssssssppp of the pellet go by, no rifle report. I have a couple of 75 yard kills to my credit with this rifle and even one a bit over 100yrds but honestly after hittn a crow 2 weeks ago with a H&N Barracuda 10.65g in the chest from 66yrds (range finder) just to have it fly away leaving blood and feathers behind I won't hunt with it anymore beyond 40yrds. I'll leave it to my .22 to do the job.

Bought the whisper on craigslist for about $120, put a custom trigger on it ($34) and I've been hunting with it for a couple years now. Countless squirrels, birds, 1 racoon, 2 rabbits and a feral cat all fell victim to this awesome cost effective gun.

So the question is...how much money you got? :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top