Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SPEC OPS and our Pres

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by gunfreak, Oct 25, 2012.

1. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

So I work with a Surgeon who's son was a Special Ops guy and he was telling his Dad how SpecOps all the way up the chain of command dislike Obama and his boasting how "he" got bin laden and in general how he's handled running the country.

2. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

no surprise there. I'm retired army, and there isn't a lot of love lost for O in the circles I run in...and I was a REMF when I retired...

(Rear Echelon Mother [the f stands for an AngloSaxon gerund of your choice])

3. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

Some people also go to their car mechanic for a financial advice...

4. zers

zers Portland Member

People in the military prefer the guy that wants to give them 2 trillion dollars? Color me surprised.

5. fd15k

Best part about it, if the president is into starting wars, these guys have higher chances of dying at work. If he is Ron Paul, they have high chances of losing their jobs. What do you choose : unemployment or death ?

6. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid our soldiers don't have to fight overseas and *gasp* lose their jobs to more options stateside with a better economy (since we are actually worrying about our own economy and not everyone else's).

7. One-Eyed Ross

I enlisted while Nixon was president (scary times there) and retired when Reagan was president, went to work for the VA and stayed until GW Bush was president.

I would say that I would rather serve during a period when a vet is in office than not, and until the last election our president has usually been a vet. At least with them, they have an understanding of what they are asking us to do.

Harry Truman: World War I (Army)
    Dwight Eisenhower: World War I and World War II (Army)
    John F. Kennedy: World War II (Navy)
    Lyndon B. Johnson: World War II (Navy)
    Richard Nixon: World War II (Navy)
    Gerald Ford: World War II (Navy)
    Jimmy Carter: Cold War era (Navy)
    Ronald Reagan: World War II (Air Force)
    George H.W. Bush: World War II (Navy)
    George W. Bush: Vietnam War era (Air Force Reserve)

I didn't like Carter's politics, but at least when Desert 1 went south he got on the TV and radio and said "I ordered it, it was done under my direction, I'm president and I am responsible." He didn't try to run and hide behind his secretary of defense or state or something...

8. fd15k

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're okay with being told to go and lay your life as long as the order comes from a vet.

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When the 2008 election was about to take place my son was on a Burke class destroyer. It was manned by approx 300 sailors and officers. they took a straw poll and 4 of them voted for Obama. My son says the feelings in the Navy (he's an electronics tech E5 now in his 9th year active) having changed much.

10. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

You're wrong.

We're willing to risk our lives for something worthwhile. Our country's interests are more likely to be supported and defended by a veteran POTUS, and such would be less likely BY FAR to spend our lives frivolously or for goals that don't further the safety of our nation.

Being wasted on unclear goals and frivolous reasons is the uniltimate insult for someone willing to take such risks for their country.

And just so you know, the Spec Ops community is trained and highly educated in quite a bit of the issues surrounding geo-politics. Not quite grunt infantry. Pyschological and advisor missions as much as fire missions, so it's not exactly like going to a mechanic (whose choice of career is also not an absolute predictor of intelligence) for financial advice. These men know the situation on the ground in the combat zone and they follow the trends in the news and intelligence briefings, in order to make qualified judgements about activities that will affect the course of nations. Unlike armchair quarterbacks watching CNN at home, they then go on to risk their lives using that information and judgement they have developed, so they have a lot riding on being correct.

11. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a similar story ... friend's son is a SEAL. They (SEAL's) seem to have a huge amount of "dislike" for the POTUS. I can't figure out why since Obama has kept the faith as far as wanting to expand the Spec Ops community and keeping them plenty busy beyond Iraq and Afghanistan.

12. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

You mean like how the veteran GWB frivolously sent thousands of Americans to their deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq so he can pen a memoir about how God told him to liberate the Middle East?

Nah, they follow orders just like the grunts and kill people for politicians. They just do it with a bit more flair.

13. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Yes, Bush did a hell of a job defending the skies of Texas from the Viet Cong.

Kevatc, jbett98, dmancornell and 3 others like this.
  14. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

I'm all for combat vets as President:

To date, in the last 100 years we've had exactly TWO: Harry Truman and JFK.

That's it.

I wore the uniform in peace-time, and while potentially it was petty GD scary (Germany at the height of the cold war) Outside of one TDY which I'm not supposed to talk about, it was never dangerous.

Good for me for putting on the uniform in a non-draft era and all that crap. I don't know, and will NEVER know or understand the combat stresses of a line troop in the last 10 years. I have nothing but respect and admiration (and a little bit of envy without the desire to get what they got).

THAT, my friends, is honesty. The armed forces SERVE the USA. at the direction of the POTUS. I frankly, in a time of voluntary service, don't give a rat's *** what they think politically.

HAVING served in the armed forces of the USA, I have been subjected to the indoctrination and brainwashing that happens. Including when our "Mission Application Breifing" instructor told us that "Tailgunner Joe" McCarthy was a "Great American Hero."

Yes, this was under the auspices and authority of the US Air Force.

THEN we get to the deliberate, undermining and in contravention of even ARMY regulations of the predjudicial selection of officers according to their religious beliefs, as has been well documented at the USAF Academy.

Ya, I think I'll take anything anyone in the "spec-ops" (Third hand) is said to have stated with a POUND of salt.

I'll make my judgements the way I always have. That's why I'm writing in Ron Paul. To show the GOP that people who would have voted their ticket are tired of getting shafted with crap candidates that even the base hates.

15. maddog

maddog Portland, OR USA Active Member

Well stated, brother!

16. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

This is sort of like what I run into working at the VA hospital. When we don't have enough staff or the correct doctors the Vet is sent out to the civilian medical community. Most of them don't like that idea and say they aren't treated with the same respect as when at the VA. As a Vet myself, I don't get care anywhere other than VA even though I could.

17. maddog

maddog Portland, OR USA Active Member

Let's add Lynden B. Johnson (Silver Star for a B-26 mission WW II), George H.W. Bush (Distinquished Flying Cross as a Torpedo Bomber Pilot WW II), and Gerald Ford (10 Battle Stars aboard a US Navy ship WW II), just to clarify.

18. One-Eyed Ross

Add Richard Nixon....Following his appointment, Nixon began aviation indoctrination training at the Naval Training School, Naval Air Station in Quonset Point, Rhode Island. After completing the course in October 1942, he went to the Naval Reserve Aviation Base in Ottumwa, Iowa, where he served as Aide to the Executive Officer until May 1943. Looking for more excitement, Nixon volunteered for sea duty and reported to Commander Air Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet where he was assigned as Officer in Charge of the South Pacific Combat Air Transport Command at Guadalcanal in the Solomons and later at Green Island. His unit prepared manifests and flight plans for C-47 operations and supervised the loading and unloading of the cargo aircraft. For this service he received a Letter of Commendation from the Commander South Pacific Area and South Pacific Force for "meritorious and efficient performance of duty as Officer in Charge of the South Pacific Combat Air Transport Command...

19. One-Eyed Ross

Doesn't matter where he served, he wore the uniform. That's something that a lot of people won't do because they say they have "something better" to do, or "don't have to join" to make it in life....

fd15k said "Correct me if I'm wrong, you're okay with being told to go and lay your life as long as the order comes from a vet."

well, it's what I signed up for, and what the oath I took said "obey the orders of the office of the President of the United States". It's an agreement I had with them. I kept my end of the contract, congress keeps trying to get out of theirs....

oknow and (deleted member) like this.
  20. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Don't know how this morphed into a "bash Bush" or "Paul is the greatest" thread. In an attempt to get it back on track here's my two cents worth.

Well said!

I've met several spec ops guys here and quite a few who are ENLISTED that have bachelor's degrees. Many of America's Best aren't in America.

Thier consensus if they could speak out is this president handled the bin Laden raid very poorly. He couldn't wait to announce bin Laden had been killed. If this information was withhled for even a few hours a lot more damage could have been done to al Qaeda. Instead the intel that was gathered from the raid was rendered impotent. I'm referred to you tube. Specifically: Dishonorable Disclosures - YouTube

This president's strategy for dealing with al Qaeda is not very sound. He's killing every Taliban and al Qaeda member he can through the use of UAV's. And only as long as there is NO risk to innocent civilians. Both are noble and he deserves credit. But it is not a very effiecient way to prosecute a war. In short he needs to let the Spec Ops guys, the CIA and the others in the cloak and dagger business do their jobs. Don't get me wrong a dead member of al Qaeda or Taliban is not a bad thing, but how can they yield any good intel on finding other bad guys? Or possible future attacks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.