JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last week I visited a new to me shop in Oregon City. The Oregon Freedivers Company. I picked up enough gear to get a good start in the sport. I am using my gear in the pool for now but working towards a long distance trip to warm waters. I will also be fishing our coast this summer.

Be careful around our coast, there are a lot of heavy currents that smash into rocks. A buddy of my dad once told me he was diving Nehalem bay during an out going tide and was traveling at 30mph. I don't know how accurate that is, but I do know the tides rip through there.
Good luck and post some pictures!

My brother used to spearfish at La Jolla near San Diego. Not exactly warm water but easy place to get to. Just south of the infamous Black's Beach.

In all my warmwater scuba of the Caribbean, I never saw anything worth chasing down with a speargun. Tho I did recently read a story of a large grouper. They used to have fabulous grouper in the Bahamas but they got fished/shot out. Maybe pick FL or HI?

BTW, I HATE coldwater diving!!!!!

The Channel Islands off southern California is good.
My dad had a sail boat when I was a kid.
We would go out to ANACAPA ISLAND.
and spend a few days or a weekend.
Got a lot of fish useing a HAWAIIAN SLING.
and mask and snorkel and fins.

Be careful around our coast, there are a lot of heavy currents that smash into rocks. A buddy of my dad once told me he was diving Nehalem bay during an out going tide and was traveling at 30mph. I don't know how accurate that is, but I do know the tides rip through there.
I sure believe the 30mph. My brother in law was crab fishing in the Nehalem for only the second and third time in his life when he dropped off five nets he had rented. when he put the last one in he went to the first, turned around the boat only to watch them all disappear, sucked out to sea one by one before he could get to them. That rebar is fairly heavy. He never said what that cost him but smartly decided he should learn a little more about what he was doing.

I sure believe the 30mph. My brother in law was crab fishing in the Nehalem for only the second and third time in his life when he dropped off five nets he had rented. when he put the last one in he went to the first, turned around the boat only to watch them all disappear, sucked out to sea one by one before he could get to them. That rebar is fairly heavy. He never said what that cost him but smartly decided he should learn a little more about what he was doing.
Well, it's like $60-$70 a ring nowadays... assuming it was out of the Jetty.
I've whitnessed that on multiple occasions.
Funny thing is the guy I mentioned said he watched big "tumble weeds" of crab just rolling around in the current (like 20' wide big). I guess that's how they get around down there! LoL

I learned to Dive - Skin, SCUBA and using a Rebreather Unit while in the CZ! ALL without a Wet Suit which included SCUBA Diving to a 100'! Special Services offered a Truly Complete Set-up, including a Spear Gun with 2 Spears, for $5.00 for the weekend! A Second Set of Triple 72 Tanks could be had for an Extra Buck! We dove off the Coast on an Island, called Taboga. The Passenger Ferry cost another $3.00 so a really Great weekend could be had for less than a Ten Dollar Bill. Beer cost 10¢ but we rarely drank more than a 6 pack.

It was TRULY AWESOME!!!

Since coming back to the Freezing Waters of the Pacific Northwest I have gone SCUBA Diving all of One Time with a VERY Thick Wet Suit and that was more than enough. I was in the water of Puget Sound for about 45 minutes and came out and poured a Quart Thermos of Coffee inside the Wet Suit and couldn't see more than 8', while in the CZ we could see close to 100'!

CZ :):):) MANY Times, Puget Sound :mad::mad::mad: - 1!!! Can you say NO CONTEST!!!

I picked up some more gear today. A travel bag for my huge spear gun. Some old style slotted belt weights, and ordered a warm water suit. Gotta practice restringing the gun. I am still swimming over a mile nonstop about four times a week. I think I will be only one of a few senior citizens to start this new sport.

I went SCUBA diving once, we put in at the mouth of Netarts bay. Thank GAWD the tide was coming in and not out.... we got swept inland REALLY quickly, if the tide had been going out we'da probably been swept out 3-5 miles, quite easily.

:eek:

Last Edited:
I went Island Hopping today on a panga with eleven other tourists. One of which was a infant. I tested out my gear except for the speargun. Still need more ballast. Went down to 37 feet which is a good start for having to practice in 9 foot deep pool. Swam with a whole lot of barracuda pups . They looked to be about four pounders. Total cost was $23 lunch and transport included. Today I go scuba diving to a reef with better visibility and hopefully some larger critters. The food is fantastic !

Enjoy your stay in the PI, I see your near Cebu the "tourist capitol", my family on my mothers side live in Dumaguete, a short ferry ride to the south or plane. There is a famous island for divers off the coast there called Apo Island. I've spent a few summers in my life stompin around there. The prices are great, lots of resorts for tourists and dive shops. Enjoy some lechon, san miguel and be careful or like another mentioned you might get hitched if not already married.

I am not married but I saw a very nice young lady yesterday. Went on a two tank dive today. A very nice reef near town. The boat was a home made Zodiac knock-off made of fiber glass with a dive ladder and a 75 horse outboard. No wet suit . Tons of fish. My first shark sighting. It was a white tip reef shark almost seven feet long. Saw my first hawkbill turtle at the same time. On dive two , a rare dugong sighting. Apparently this happened while I was busy picking my nose. I only saw the wake. They said it was twelve feet long. I am trying to arrange a bottom fishing trip for tomorrow. They said I can jump in and swim if I want. The people I have met here go well out of the way to make you feel welcome. The entire two dive trip was $64 USD. The shop owner also let me borrow four pounds of lead since I was too buoyant for free diving. His is a South African.

I went out today with a local fisherman who has seven daughters. They live in a hootch above a fetid mangrove swamp. He has his own panga which is just a glorified canoe. The other folks gather cowrie shells for home decor. We went out into five foot seas. I couldn't complain since I was gonna jump out anyway. About 20" freeboard. My boatman jumped in while I was freediving and acted as a human sea anchor. After seeing my first shark yesterday I appreciated it. Well the diving was only about 26' and snorkeling in five foot seas is not for tourists. Getting my buns back in the boat was a group effort. They wanted me to use my spear gun but it is illegal at this area.So it was left behind. There were no fish of any size anyway. We went to the market afterwards and saw some nice 45 pound tuna.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top