JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK in the other thread,I forgot to add this in the tittle some how.
Do you filter as you use the water or is there some filter that you can put on a barrel to filter the water as it runs into the barrel?

Thanks
Mike

Do you filter as you use the water or is there some filter that you can put on a barrel to filter the water as it runs into the barrel?

Thanks
Mike
You'll want to filter as you use it. Only safe way to do it.

Berkey makes a good filter. It will hold up to lots of abuse. upload_2016-2-13_20-44-5.png

Sawyer Mini. $20 purchased local.

Something about 100,000 gallons and it's flushable in its simplistic design made me go that route.

You can certainly strain the water for 'debris' like needles and such as it flows into the barrel, but this is not filtration. You need a real filtration device to keep you alive.

I personally feel that boiling all your collected water before running it through your filter system is a pretty good idea, if you have the fuel. Antibiotics and medical care are going to be hard to come by if we don't have reliable water.

Sawyer Mini. $20 purchased local.

Something about 100,000 gallons and it's flushable in its simplistic design made me go that route.
I have multiple of these! the wife and I went on a camping trip in kayaks with a 1 person raft with everything for 3 days for the 3 of us on the Willamette. we drank Willamette river water for three days just before the blue mold outbreak. no ill effects whatsoever!!! Great filters!!!

How does that sawyer mini hold up to slightly turbid water?

I used an inline filter on my camelback ages ago on a thru-hike of the John Muir trail, and it became very very difficult to use. Had to clean it (back flush/disassemble scrub the element) near daily. Made me give up on in lines.

Switched to a Katadyn pump type for other trips and it worked excellent. However in similar water to the JMT (reasonably clear, yet high silt) in Xinjiang/Tibet it did require extra maintenance.

How does that sawyer mini hold up to slightly turbid water?

I used an inline filter on my camelback ages ago on a thru-hike of the John Muir trail, and it became very very difficult to use. Had to clean it (back flush/disassemble scrub the element) near daily. Made me give up on in lines.

Switched to a Katadyn pump type for other trips and it worked excellent. However in similar water to the JMT (reasonably clear, yet high silt) in Xinjiang/Tibet it did require extra maintenance.
It requires back flushing about every other day, but it is a quick process. No dis-assembly required. like use for filtering, but in reverse. The nice thing is compared to other filter choices, it is less expensive, less labor intensive and lighter and less bulk than other filters on the market. the end result is just as good, if not better.

It requires back flushing about every other day, but it is a quick process. No dis-assembly required. like use for filtering, but in reverse. The nice thing is compared to other filter choices, it is less expensive, less labor intensive and lighter and less bulk than other filters on the market. the end result is just as good, if not better.

Ahh good to know, thanks!

Seems much easier than the inline I was using---but that was a good decade ago. Sounds as though they've made great advancements.

Thanks
Mike
Lifestreamwater can set you up with anything you can dream up. Simple to complicated. Custom to your individual needs. We have a truck mounted unit they custom made for us. Should be easy to put something on a rain barrel.

I have yet to backflush my sawyer. It all depends on the sediment in the water you are filtering. You would almost have to be craping the bottom of the river to have to backflush it every other day.
Good to hear, we did ours after a couple of days and then at the end of the trip, just to see what kind of difference it made. the first flush made a noticable difference in how quickly it filtered the water, but the second time was it wasent as dirty, nor was there a big difference in the flow after.

As said prior, filter as you go.

Katadyn Drip Ceradyn, which is much like the Berkey gets pretty good reviews. Now, there are two different models for this setup, the Ceradyn and Gravidyn. The Difference are the filters. The Ceradyn does NOT have an activated carbon (charcoal) core whereas the Gravidyn DOES have an activated carbon (charcoal) CORE. Apparently the non-charcoal one has a much longer life span than the one with the charcoal.

The Katadyns are for a base camp setup and are drip systems like the Berkey pictured above.

I will be getting the Ceradyn and running two filters. Buying a spare will give me two in use and two as backup.

Best of luck,
Mike

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews