Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Speaking of Memaloose. What are they? (any loggers out there)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Starship, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Driving up to the gravel pit there are a number of large trash piles (not really trash) but left from logging full of tree limbs and such. Each one as somehwere on it a piece of opague plastice sheeting.

Can anyone explain what that is for???

It's not large enough to cover the pile. Most often it is right on top but then again can be part-way down the pile but always has at least some debris on it to keep it there.

I'll bite...what the heck is it!!!

2. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Sounds like slash piles to me. Is this what it looks like?

3. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Probably to keep a dry spot to light it when they go to burn them.

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Slash piles.

5. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

slash piles. I've hunted out in the snow when they light them it's pretty nice hike for a while in the snow and warm up by a premade fire

6. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

They could be slash piles, or control burn piles, depending on if the forest service (or state forestry) built them, or a logging outfit.

The idea is to reduce the fuel in the forest so that if there is a forest fire in that location it won't be as intense and it will be easier to fight.

If these piles are near resent logging activity, they are logging slash. If the area has not had any commercial logging activity they are control burn piles..either way the sheets are to keep the center of the pile dry enough to light when it is safe to burn (snow or wet enough).

From the picture I would put my money on control burn piles.