JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
stepping away from a rather convoluted topic, I trust this little expose` will manage to stay on intended track: proper management of 'muzzle in a safe direction' etc:

Circa 1980 & with a then-new pistol, the TC single shot with a couple barrels, including 45LC and 30-30, came my way. I took it out with the 45 barrel & fired off about 10 quadrillion rounds in the process of learning how to operate the little Beastie. All went well.

In the secluded woods in a little gravel pit, firing around 50=70 yards at some wood stumps and assorted dirt clods with great accuracy.

Changed the barrel, quite easy for the Thompson Contender, as that what it's very purpose. Install of 30-30 barrel, used a partial box of factory ammo, now more delicate/smaller target engaged. Was stretching out over the trunk of my old 51 Buick (well, in 1980 it wasn't really THAT old....) for stability. Had a blanket covering the trunk, and would cycle the unload/reload cycle as instructed at the IHMSA weekly training sessions.

Upon closing breach on about the 7th or so round, it fired upon closing.
No finger was near the trigger. No real damage physically...other than perhaps to Beulah's pride. After inspecting the weapon and insuring empty chamber, carefully stored in hard case in trunk. Inspecting Beulah, the wound channel was discovered: point of entry was about 18" from drivers side, into the rain drip channel of the upper trunk lid. 150 gr soft point travel in the slight curvilinear path for about 2 1/2' until exiting out the top of the same channel in the opening between the upper trunk lid & the lower fascia below the rear window. 2 tiny holes, some mangled rubber seal material. Nearly soiled drawers.

Review with my local gun smith revealed nothing obvious with the firearm...although he was able to reproduce the hammer falling on a dead round, just closing the action as I had demonstrated....and he showed me just that very day a notice in the mail advised "on some TC models within certain serial # range" would spontaneous fire on closing the action without pulling the trigger, due to an actual manufacturing glitch.

TC ended up replacing the frame without charge, advising that was one of the models affected.

We had just had a loading drill on the firing line a couple days before, to become aware of how to keep 'the muzzle in a safe direction'. It was very timely training.

Stay safe out there.

the same problem with his!!!
I was not around when this happened but I know that he knows better than triggering a loaded gun before its time to.

no trigger invovled....
.... prior to extending finger to the trigger, SOME of the TCs would fire upon closing...similar perhaps to 'slam fire' of some pump guns....the trigger disconnect mechanism had been designed or mfgd with a little mechanical error showing up sooner or later.o_O

I can remember the penalty for an accidental discharge of.....an IR Laser in a training scenario: summarized article 15.

Some GIs were so careless, we'd tape over their AN/PAQ4Cs until the initiation of....hostilities :D

The possibility of an AD increases with the frequency of shooting. Good habbits hold their own weight and pay off big dividens (in safety) when the shtf.

But, stuff happens; a definate crux of the lifestyle.

When I first got heavily into pistol shooting back in 2000, I was shooting my USP Tactical and at best "spray and praying" my target. Looked like swiss cheese rather than a ragged hole. I would count my rounds to know when I needed to do a mag change. They were "Clinton Clips", limited to 10 rounds. 8..9..10, drop the mag, go to slam in the next mag. My finger's on the trigger, and as I slam in the mag, the gun fires. Didn't break the 180 degree plane, but that scared the hell out of me. Recognized my stupidity, altered my methods and haven't had a problem since.

I can remember the penalty for an accidental discharge of.....an IR Laser in a training scenario: summarized article 15.

Some GIs were so careless, we'd tape over their AN/PAQ4Cs until the initiation of....hostilities :D

The possibility of an AD increases with the frequency of shooting. Good habbits hold their own weight and pay off big dividens (in safety) when the shtf.

But, stuff happens; a definate crux of the lifestyle.

36 years shooting and my grandpa's instructions have kept me and those around me safe so far. I hope for another 36+ years accident free.

no trigger invovled....
.... prior to extending finger to the trigger, SOME of the TCs would fire upon closing...similar perhaps to 'slam fire' of some pump guns....the trigger disconnect mechanism had been designed or mfgd with a little mechanical error showing up sooner or later.o_O

I should have elaborated a little further, hence the:p:p:p:p... When we were kids he once unloaded my dads 870 in the house with the trigger............:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That's how I knew....
Yeah, closing the breech made his fire too scaring the bubblegumers out of him.:eek:

OP am I missing something?? All three of my Contenders are cocked AFTER you have inserted the round and closed the action and assumed your shooting position. No way for the hammer to fall when closing it because it's not cocked.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top