JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah I read that too. Bummer, and kinda freaky. The good news is, he had it pointed in the safest direction available in a vehicle, which was clear of all body parts. Inside a vehicle, there is no direction a round wont hit something, and towards the floorboards is by FAR the best choice. Towards glass, or a body part, or even a critical part of the car would be bad. a hole in the plastic center console is nothing given the other options, IMHO.

I hate to be one of "those" guys, but this is why I don'y like cheap phillipino made 1911s. And why I've grown to accept Colt series 80 and Kimber II series pin safeties even though the trigger pulls sometimes aren't as smooth.

Yep, that was me...

The Rock Island has a quite good reputation, and this was a freak thing I hope. RIA is going to fix it for me they said.

If it passes muster when it gets back, I'll most likely start carrying it again at our events.

However, this did kind of shake me for it, and I am kind of looking for a really nice OWB holster for my Cz-75B, at which point I'll start carrying that instead. I just don't want to order online (without being able to play with it first), and no-one seems to carry any for the CZs.

Not a "kaboom", it was an accidental discharge (AD). A "kaboom" (kB) is a specific term for a round that misfires inside the gun, usually destroying parts of the chamber, barrel, frame, and receiver. The cause is often a round that has been reloaded beyond the recommended specs (too hot).

Yes, he was damn lucky to be pointing it in a non-lethal direction; glad he's okay. Sounds like the gun wasn't behaving properly and needs some factory attention.

Yep, that was me...

However, this did kind of shake me for it, and I am kind of looking for a really nice OWB holster for my Cz-75B, at which point I'll start carrying that instead. I just don't want to order online (without being able to play with it first), and no-one seems to carry any for the CZs.

Uncle mikes makes a kydex paddle for S&W autos that fits the cz-75b. Thats the only holster that I could find that would fit my cz perfectly.

Uncle mikes makes a kydex paddle for S&W autos that fits the cz-75b. Thats the only holster that I could find that would fit my cz perfectly.

I'm looking more for a nice leather one. I don't like the kydex or paddle holsters, since they dig into me. I have a Galco suede lined one for my 1911 that is the exact perfect holster I think, so I just have to find a similar one for the CZ.

Not a "kaboom", it was an accidental discharge (AD). A "kaboom" (kB) is a specific term for a round that misfires inside the gun, usually destroying parts of the chamber, barrel, frame, and receiver. The cause is often a round that has been reloaded beyond the recommended specs (too hot).

Yes, he was damn lucky to be pointing it in a non-lethal direction; glad he's okay. Sounds like the gun wasn't behaving properly and needs some factory attention.

Well it sure made a kaboom, I appreciate the insight and I'll remember that terminology. :D

Keane,

do a simple test on your 1911.......

Lock the slide back, and using the slide stop, drop the slide. Does the hammer follow?

Now, lock the slide back, hold the trigger back, and then drop the slide again. Does the hammer follow this way?

Let me know........it's an easy fix either way.

I actually don't have the 1911 anymore, I sent it in to RIA for factory repairs. In both cases, the hammer did follow when I was playing around with it after the accident.

The first way, I have video of it occurring on THR and opencarry.org.

UPDATE:

I just got the 1911 back from RIA, and it seems to be fixed. I think they did some 'tuning' as well, since the trigger and seem smother.

They were pretty good for support, though I still would have rathered this didn't happen.

He did on the phone, but I didn't write it all down. He said they replaced the sear spring, the hammer, the ?backstrap spring? and a few other things. I'm not terribly sure what could have caused it though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top