JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
(....that you not defend your home using a firearm. how cavalier)

Home invasion attempt turns into shootout
KOMO STAFF
Published 10:20 p.m., Thursday, November 29, 2012

Police say a North Beacon Hill man was shot in the leg during a Thursday night home invasion robbery.

The attempted robbery took place at roughly 8:20 p.m. at a home in the 2300 block of 24th Avenue South.

Police say three armed men tried to get into the house, at which point the four men who rent the home armed themselves and the two groups got into a shootout.

One of the renters, a man in his early 20s, was shot in the leg during the melee. He was treated at Harborview Medical Center and is expected to make a full recovery.

The three would-be robbers ran away and police have yet to track them down. Officers don't believe any of them were injured in the shootout.

Seattle Police Capt. Neil Low said the street in question is normally quiet and there does not appear to be any criminal history at the home.

He also said he wouldn't encourage homeowners to get into gun battles with robbers.

"We tell people on the street, 'It's only money.' Do you want to engage in something and escalate it to where now you're fighting for your life?" he said.

The investigation is ongoing.

Home invasion attempt turns into shootout - seattlepi.com

He also said he wouldn't encourage homeowners to get into gun battles with robbers.

"We tell people on the street, 'It's only money.' Do you want to engage in something and escalate it to where now you're fighting for your life?" he said.

Well Mr. Police Officer .... you are right. I don't want to get in a gun fight in my home or anywhere for that matter. But you can bet your badge that if someone breaks into my home it's about a whole lot more than money at that point. I will exchange bullets for as long as it takes to protect myself, my wife, and my possessions in my home. Normally I am very pro-police but in this instance this officer can take his advice and wash it down with a couple glazed donuts.

Well Mr. Police Officer .... you are right. I don't want to get in a gun fight in my home or anywhere for that matter. But you can bet your badge that if someone breaks into my home it's about a whole lot more than money at that point. I will exchange bullets for as long as it takes to protect myself, my wife, and my possessions in my home. Normally I am very pro-police but in this instance this officer can take his advice and wash it down with a couple glazed donuts.

He's from Seattle so most likely does not eat donuts. I bet he's a croissant and non-fat latte kind of guy

I bet Capt. Low would not follow his own advice. After all, police are the only ones professional enough to defend themselves with a gun, right?
:rolleyes:

I bet Capt. Low would not follow his own advice. After all, police are the only ones professional enough to defend themselves with a gun, right?
:rolleyes:

if he clearly will follow this advice and keep no weapons at home and leave his service firearm at the precinct locker it would be more believable

It's Seattle. They expect you to dial 911 and if it gets really desperate, throw a chair at the bad guy.

What if it's just a burglary went wrong ? There is no violent intent in a burglary.

If I confront a burgler in my home and they run then I don't shoot. If he closes distance with me I feel threatened and he finds out if I can hit what I am shooting at.

It's only money... Spoken like a politician who feeds from the 2.8million-dollar, golden trough filled by baseline budgeting.

A police chief is a politician, NOT a police officer. My money is on him being more concerned how Seattle will rate in this or that poll, ranging from "most livable" to "most happy" city, along with the mayor and other political hacks.

All "form" and no SUBSTANCE... the usual politician.

What if it's just a burglary went wrong ? There is no violent intent in a burglary.

I guess that depends what you are asking.

Insofar as the law is concerned, intent does not matter. Sorta like felony murder where you don't have to intend someone to get killed to be charged.

Insofar as the burglar is concerned, that's going to be a situational call.

Scenario #1 - Someone smashes the front window and starts coming through, 7 PM at night, it's dark outside, half the lights in the house are lit, that one seems like an intentional act so their actions are likely to be commensurate with that presumption.

Scenario #2 - I come home and surprise a burglar in the house. I'll draw and come up on target, even if the burglar turns and runs away from me. If the burglar is heading away from me, say out the other door or a smashed window, I'll pursue and chase 'em out. Legally, I could shoot 'em, but I won't unless I need to.

Scenario #3 - Same as #2, except the burglar runs away from me and towards the wife or one of the kids. That's going to be a bad day for the burglar, and a day of explaining for me, because that's one of those perhaps rare situations where I would assert the need to shoot someone in the back.

Id tell that pansy police Capt he can kiss my ***. Unless you have squad cars in front of my property on protective duty 24/7, the burglars better hope they can run faster than 980 ft/sec or their bodies better be bulletproof.

He's says, "It's only money?"

Okay, so originally I typed out a fairly lengthy response to this, but erased it in favor of a much more concise thought. I really only have two words for this dil hole police chief.

Suck. It.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads