JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok So way back when I got my first parts kit from Palmetto State I noticed that it had no markings indicating that it was tested, the kit I bought was indeed supposed to come with a tested bolt but I figured they might just not mark them for some reason, until I got a second kit from them and low and behold It was marked. So I sent them an email and about a month later I heard back from them and they agreed to do an exchange. I sent them my non marked bolt and a couple weeks later I received my replacement, I tore open the package like a kid on christmas and the first thing I noticed about my beautiful new Bolt Carrier Group was that it was so new it.........Sparkled ?
BCG.jpg

So yea there are several sections of the BCG that look like this and I'm not sure what I should do. The bolt is pretty stiff but not so much I don't think it would work but I've never had a BCG that looked like this. I haven't had that many BCG's in my life though so maybe this is normal ? Is this going to go away with time or is this incomplete nitriding ?

In other news this one is also not marked as being tested either so I'm not sure if its going back anyways, I'm kinda tired of sending stuff back and forth already but if the general consensus is it needs to go back, well back to the UPS store I go I guess =\.

So what say you? Did I get bamboozled again or will my BCG stop looking like it spent a weekend around a bunch of filthy ravers after a little while ?

I for one would not be overly concerned with the finish as long as it does not look like the thing was finished off. Do you see any Rockwell heat treat hardness test dimples? They SOMETIMES are on the low stress sides of the carrier but not always.

Beating a dead horse here, but back in the day before the dawn of time we had to check the head space with the builds and rebuilds. But now a days usually not a concern unless the various parts are being procured from different sources? Trust but verify.

If head space concerns you and it always concerns me, all you need to do is borrow a "NO GO" gage. If you are serious, the three piece set are a good idea. "GO". "NO GO". "FIELD". It is unlikely that your new parts would be out of specification. Yikes!

HB: I don't see any dimples on there or anything that makes it stand out from my other two BCG's (other than the sparkling areas of finish and the bolt being rather stiff). I emailed Palmetto about the thing and also to confirm that the bolt had been MPI tested (I didn't see any marking so I didn't think it had been) and I have to to send the damn thing back anyways.

Sigh third times a charm I guess.

Thanks for all the advice though ! I had been trusting the companies that built my uppers to headspace everything but with something like that I understand why nothing should be left to chance, I'll get a set next paycheck !

They probably parkerize it over the nitride and it sat in the solution too long, which is what causes the sparkly appearance.

So as far as the sparkle goes, probably a non-issue. But if its meant to be tested ask to send it back for one that has the markings.

I got a BCG from them a while back and it had a very long scratch on it. I emailed them and eventually got a response that I could either send it back or they would credit me back $30. I took the credit. The gun shoots fine.

I got a BCG from them a while back and it had a very long scratch on it. I emailed them and eventually got a response that I could either send it back or they would credit me back $30. I took the credit. The gun shoots fine.

Hah, yeah they take a bit to get back to you, I originally emailed them about the first BCG I got from them not being tested back back in February, I heard back from them that I could send the bolt back for exchange mid last month, sent the first one back the same day I got the label and got this bolt on Monday. I honestly would rather not send it back again but the kit is for my (for lack of a better term) father in law and he wants the bolt tested.

I just feel really bad for him because I told him how amazingly awesome and easy it would be for us to all build AR's and he's had a rifle that he hasn't fired all this time. I keep on telling him I'll just give him one of my BCG's and I'll take whatever we get in exchange but he's too nice.

This time I'm including a note in the box that says the bolt was supposed to be HPT/MPI, hopefully the people who check returns are able to communicate to the people who pick/ship orders.

Hey, you sent back a sub-standard bolt and they sent you a jeweled one! ;) Ya know, I'm reading, on here and elsewhere, about PSA's ever increasing failures to get it right and their gawd awful customer service. I'm close to just forgetting about them and going elsewhere for my needs! It's like staying out of a bad neighborhood if I don't want to be victimized! :cool:

Last Edited:
Hey, you sent back a sub-standard bolt and they sent you a jeweled one! ;) Ya know, I'm reading, on here and elsewhere, about PSA's failures to get it right and their gawd awful customer service. I'm close to just forgetting about them and going elsewhere for my needs! It's like staying out of a bad neighborhood if I don't want to be victimized! :cool:

Well, their prices are the only thing that keep me looking at their emails. Their QC and CS stink.

I get that, Kruejl. Just saying, maybe the cheapest ain't the bestest!
Very true and it applies to most things in life, the sales at palmetto are kinda like the hookers in Mexico, You know you might be getting something diseased, but it looks really nice right now, the price is so low, and sometimes that moment of weakness will end in months of regret.

(Well maybe I'm being melodramatic here, between my father in law and I we have spent maybe 2k at palmetto and this BCG is the only screw up so far, the only that ALWAYS sucks when dealing with them is they only seem to have one type of shipping, UPS ground)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top