JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep "Kits" for all my most used, most likely to be used Rifles and Pistols!
For my SHTF rifles, I have 2" ABS pipe capped on both ends with spar parts like springs, pistons, firing pins, and with the FAL, or the AR's spare bolt and parts as well as all the armorers tools and a spare barrel! I also keep spare mags sealed in plastic bags with moisture absorbents.
Pistols are pretty much the same idea, spar springs, firing pins, extractors, and mag release/catches.
I also keep "Mag Kits" with springs and followers and floor plates for those that seem to need such parts.
Lastly, for the SHTF, I have a complete hand reloading set up in a possables bag so that if I had to, I could reload what I have!
I've been wanting to get some spare parts for a while now but I've not been sure where to begin; this seems like a good start. For those of us who are relatively new/not pros with firearms, is anyone willing to list out the most important spare parts for an ar or ak? Handguns? I don't want to miss what's most important but I also don't have the budget to buy duplicates of every last part right away. Thanks!

is anyone willing to list out the most important spare parts for an ar

A complete bolt carrier group would be a handy thing to have as a spare part...
Maybe a hammer as well...

The stocks on ours could get pretty beat , while in the Army...'Course jumping out of planes and helicopters , along with being carried everywhere , in any sort of weather , will give any stock a beating...
So maybe a extra stock might be of some use as well.
Andy

I've been wanting to get some spare parts for a while now but I've not been sure where to begin; this seems like a good start. For those of us who are relatively new/not pros with firearms, is anyone willing to list out the most important spare parts for an ar or ak? Handguns? I don't want to miss what's most important but I also don't have the budget to buy duplicates of every last part right away. Thanks!
Springs ,firing pins, gas rings, bolt and carrier, barrel, cam pin.

A good start would be a "oops" kit sold by many different companies, CMMG is good.

I would look at each firearm you want to keep running and start with the more common wear parts! AR ( Non Piston) I would have at the least a spare firing pin, all springs and pins for the trigger group, spare gas rings, spare extractor and spring, and "Mag Kits" springs, followers and floor plates! Getting more involved would be a spare bolt and carrier, and if you have a piston gun, spare piston and spring, maybe a spare gas tube, and call it good! For pistols, I would keep at least one spare firing pin and extractor, and springs ( especially if you run a 1911) main and recoil springs! For the AK, springs and piston and lots of cleaning gear and fluids! Outside of that, any platform that is more complicated or has lots of moving parts, I would stash as many of those as as I could! I see lots of folks going Way over the top ( @EPS LOL) way overboard ( unless he is the neighborhood armorer) but the basics should get you covered well!
As an example, I run the FN/FAL which is about the most reliable rifle on the planet ( Outside the AK) so spare parts are more to fix a hard bent rifle rather then more common wear and maintenance! With that said, I keep (2) spare pistons, and piston springs and gas tubes, and spare gas plugs, all trigger group springs ( at least two sets) and mag springs. I also keep a pair of spare extractors and springs and a pair of ejectors and a complete bolt assembly. I also keep a spare barrel, because they are getting very hard to come by, and once its shot out ( unlikely), that's it if you don't have a spare!

I would look at each firearm you want to keep running and start with the more common wear parts! AR ( Non Piston) I would have at the least a spare firing pin, all springs and pins for the trigger group, spare gas rings, spare extractor and spring, and "Mag Kits" springs, followers and floor plates! Getting more involved would be a spare bolt and carrier, and if you have a piston gun, spare piston and spring, maybe a spare gas tube, and call it good! For pistols, I would keep at least one spare firing pin and extractor, and springs ( especially if you run a 1911) main and recoil springs! For the AK, springs and piston and lots of cleaning gear and fluids! Outside of that, any platform that is more complicated or has lots of moving parts, I would stash as many of those as as I could! I see lots of folks going Way over the top ( @EPS LOL) way overboard ( unless he is the neighborhood armorer) but the basics should get you covered well!
As an example, I run the FN/FAL which is about the most reliable rifle on the planet ( Outside the AK) so spare parts are more to fix a hard bent rifle rather then more common wear and maintenance! With that said, I keep (2) spare pistons, and piston springs and gas tubes, and spare gas plugs, all trigger group springs ( at least two sets) and mag springs. I also keep a pair of spare extractors and springs and a pair of ejectors and a complete bolt assembly. I also keep a spare barrel, because they are getting very hard to come by, and once its shot out ( unlikely), that's it if you don't have a spare!
Awesome thanks everyone that was quick . That's exactly what I was looking for. So for a pistol, say a shield, would these parts need to be ordered separately, or are there kits available?

Funny thing is that I have gave away enough parts to build at least three guns.

I've got this parts thing all figured out, if the gun is important to the survival equation, then there should be at least two... and sometimes three, if it's high on the list... Plus, it helps satisfy my OCD tendencies...

:p

Glock 19's are cheap. Have a couple.
Same for AR's
That's the quickest repair (or reload)-- just pick up another gun and get back to work.

Here are some sample parts kits/sources....there may be better deals elsewhere, do your homework...Numerich also known as Gun Parts Crop is another good source for a variety of firearms.

1911A1

AR15 platform

M9 platform

Glocks

SKS

Any one in need of some extractor springs or retaining pins let me know ill give out some set for free. Got way more than ill ever need 20191021_172710.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top