Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

spam cans for 223, 308?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bolus, Nov 6, 2015.

1. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Does anyone make a factory sealed spam cans for .223, .308, 9mm or other common non-Russian caliber ammo?

The spam cans are just so convenient when getting some ammo to keep around for a while.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Just the Russians, AFAIK but a good GI can w/ an oxygen absorber works as well

Stomper and Caveman Jim like this.
  3. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I only seen steel cased ammo in the spam cans.. I love the sound when the seal is broken :)

I've bought wolf 223 just so I could open a spam can :D

Sgt Nambu and Brutus57 like this.
  4. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

"Convenient" is a term that has some flexible personal meaning. However, some other options for long term storage that might work for you. You may already know all this, if so, I apologize.

1st) The great folks at Lucky Gunner sell them sealed up in an Oxygen free can of 30 rounds, 20 per case so 600 total. There are others periodically that have it as well.

518a4c362015fb8419244b9b8121d381.jpg

I think you could submerge that can in a local creek,. pull it out a few years later, and have perfect ammo. It's designed to outlive you. http://www.luckygunner.com/5-56x45mm-62-gr-m855-fresh-fire-federal-30-rounds-1

Next up is battle packs. Here's some PPU (PPU = Serbia), but they're not the only game in town. http://www.slickguns.com/product

ab6c48d81659f2d955b527115a7272b4.jpg

3rd) I saw this Australian Defense force 5.56 ammo for a decent price someplace not long back (I think it was Cabellas) and the unique packaging stuck with me. I almost bought some, but I need more 5.56 ammo like I need hemorrhoids. The wife already can't get to the freezer, so I passed:

adi556can1.jpg

And of course Federal has packaged and sealed in regular ammo cans (brand new ones, great seals) as noted upthread:
    Federal_XM855LC_Stripper_Clips.jpg

I got some that have lead seals on the opening, so you know that they are factory fresh. There may be more I don't know of, maybe someone can post it up if so.

Good luck!!

Sgt Nambu and bolus like this.
  5. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Santa, I need one of each under my Christmas tree:D.

Brutus Out

6. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks! exactly the kind of options I was looking for.

7. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone tried one of those vacuum sealers they use for bagging meat?:D

Caveman Jim likes this.
  8. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Oooo Heck ya :oops:

Caveman Jim likes this.
  9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Yes but you have to make sure the tips are away from the bag because they "WILL POKE A HOLE IN THE BAG"!!! Don't ask me how I know...... :eek::eek::eek:
    Yeah, this works great if you take the time to arrange the boolits in a manner that keeps the tips hidden.:p

Works great with loaded magazines too!!!!;)

10. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have mine in stripper clips that I've put into cardboard folders. A while back some one posted a template for the folders and I made up a bunch. I bought the stripper clips for .223 & 7.62x39 on e-bay.:D

That Vacuum sealer has been sitting in a cupboard for the last couple of years. :rolleyes:
    Think I'll give her a try tomorrow.;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Sgt Nambu likes this.
  11. Benchrest

Benchrest The Desert Planet Well-Known Member

No, of course not!

:D

12. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I have bought the "body bag" battle packs - I think they were S. American origin. The ammo worked fine in various semi-auto 7.62x51 rifles. It was just surplus ball ammo though.