JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some guns are like comfort food...there are better choices to be sure, but some things just make you feel good.

I live close to downtown with it's benefits and drawbacks. I walk the dog at night through residential alleys and off the sidewalks whenever possible because possums don't frequent the street-lighted and better traveled areas of my neighborhood. The dog has taken it upon himself to single...pawedly guard and protect his alley(s) from the ravages of possum nation. His service to the public well-being is legendary in his mind I'm sure.

Which brings me to why, with so many pistols and calibers available in my safe, I carry the SP 101 in 357 more and more frequently on my late evening walks. My reasons for carry vary from meth heads, the homeless, to yards with 100 + lb. dogs with poorly maintained wooden fences. (barely containing their attempts to do us harm) Sure it is only 5 rounds, sure it is not the lightest gun or most concealable I have... but damn, it feels good on the hip or in my jacket pocket. At the range I will hold my own with it and all of that being said, it's stainless.:D

sp101.jpg

sp101.jpg

I believe the SP101 is always a good choice. The little SP gets bad press as being too heavy and maybe too bulky, but I've carried SP's, and Charters, and J-Frames, and even the LCR, and however I choose to carry any of them, I truly cannot tell any difference. So, having the slightly more robust SP101 with me, I see as a good thing.

Where I can tell the biggest difference...If a feller decides he's gonna shoot .357's out of any of these little bitty guns, it's surely more pleasurable out of the SP.

WAYNO.

I have installed spring kits in a couple of SP101's and instantly began suffering misfires.

The geometry of these little guns requires a pretty heavy mainspring, and reducing their weight is taking a chance.

Although I never took the time, I'd guess polishing the action up internally, before installing a lighter mainspring might make enough difference that the lighter spring would still pop primers with regularity.

WAYNO.

...and, some of em ain't redheads

GEDC0842.jpg

They're great guns. I don't own a small or light .357 but sure wouldn't mind an SP-101. I think they'll be around/keep making them for a long time.

I'm a big fan of 38/357 snub revolvers for concealed carry. They dont jam and they give you multiple options for bullet types and power levels according to your situation. You can run anything from Glasers to 158 grain +P HBWC "FBI loads". If you are carrying an airweight or are concerned with recoil or muzzle blast, you can dial it back to .38+P; if you can carry a steel framed gun like the SP-101 then full Magnum loads are an option if you can deal with the recoil. I prefer hammerless versions like the S&W 640 or my current carry piece, the Ruger LCR, because you can conceal them in a jacket pocket with your hand on the grip and fire from inside the pocket without exposing the weapon. This can be a lifesaver in an elevator or other situation where you are at contact distance with the bad guy.

Late to this thread but I spent a long time looking for easy carry pistols for summer use or put in the pocket and go. I bought a S&W airweight, it seemed perfect except when I shot it. I was good on the first shot and always sucked on the follow up shot. I bought a SP 101 and I'm good with all five shots. Yes it weighs a bit more but with that girth it makes the pistol one that is capable of firing multiple rounds and hitting what it is aimed at. If the 357 round is too much recoil you can feed it 38 spl.

We bought our SP101 (3") in 1993. It's the only handgun I've never traded away or sold. Technically, it's my wife's gun, but I do pick it up from time to time. She will only shoot .38 in it, but I like to plug in .357 loads. That extra weight really helps with the recoil. It's a great wheelgun. I think it we'll probably keep it for good.

I had a snubby SP101 in .357 Mag, I liked it. The design was very modular and robust.

I didn't care for the weight or the recoil. I sold it and got a Taurus Ti Tracker which I like, but I don't believe I will ever trust it the way I did the Ruger; it came from the factory with less than 0.001" of cylinder gap and locked up after 50 rounds. A pleasure to shoot, but for almost the same weight and a little more size I prefer my 329PD.

I gave my SP101 snubbie to my wife, who carries it with her in her travels on the road using a Coronado Leather purse with integral holster. Broke her in using 38 special but its now loaded with full house 125 gr. JHP.

I have installed spring kits in a couple of SP101's and instantly began suffering misfires.

The geometry of these little guns requires a pretty heavy mainspring, and reducing their weight is taking a chance.

Although I never took the time, I'd guess polishing the action up internally, before installing a lighter mainspring might make enough difference that the lighter spring would still pop primers with regularity.

WAYNO.

...and, some of em ain't redheads

That one would be a real looker.

GEDC0842.jpg

my brother has a 4" sp101 he absolutely loves it and carries it daily. hes a smaller guy 5'8" 175ish. he dresses around the gun and youd never know it was there at 3 oclock. last sunday we went shooting, started off with my 308 and our 10/22s. he pulled up on my 4" steel jumping target at 80 yards with that sp101 and i thought no way is he going to hit this. hit it first and second try. couldnt believe it. took me 5 shots with my g23 :( i enjoy the heck out of shooting his 101

my brother has a 4" sp101 he absolutely loves it and carries it daily. hes a smaller guy 5'8" 175ish. he dresses around the gun and youd never know it was there at 3 oclock. last sunday we went shooting, started off with my 308 and our 10/22s. he pulled up on my 4" steel jumping target at 80 yards with that sp101 and i thought no way is he going to hit this. hit it first and second try. couldnt believe it. took me 5 shots with my g23 :( i enjoy the heck out of shooting his 101

Holy Smokes. Regular guy? 80 yards on a 4" target with a stock SP101 is great shooting.

Even single action that's noteworthy.. some people can shoot, and only do shoot a double action revolver double action (hammer spurs suck) as accurately as single action. "old" PPC shooter yadda