JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Soy probably isn't the best for you since most of it contains hexane. "Traditionally produced" (i.e. made from whole soybeans) such as: tofu, tempeh, soy milk, and soy yogurt does not typically undergo hexane processing. Where do you buy the traditionally produced stuff? Japan would be a good start, but I'm not over there and I don't have a high level of trust in the companies that say theirs is better for me.
Some people are okay with eating a byproduct of oil processing, though I wonder what the long-term effects will be.
I'll stick to my bacon, beef, chicken, elk, turkey, venison... things i can grow/hunt/raise myself.

Hominy - 5 cents per 100 calories - 25 cents per 500 calories - $1 for 2000 calories. In a can it can have a shelf life of ten years or more. You can take it out of the can, let it dry, crush it into flour by hand, make various breads with it and so on.

Brown rice - $1 per pound, 500 calories per pound. Hypo-allergenic (most anybody can tolerate it). Has a lot of fiber.

Nothing against soy per se, but there there are less expensive staples that have fiber and other benefits. It isn't necessarily good to eat so much of one thing every day. Vary your intake so that you don't get bored with it and have a better balanced diet.

I made gumbo the other day with rice and sausage and potatoes and chicken. It cost about $5 and will make about 5 meals. I often use rice and lentils in such meals - both are shelf stable for a long time (despite what some people claim, rice stores well for a long time, especially if it is vacuum packed).

I was being a little mean in my last comment, so I went ahead and deleted it. I have read, heard, and had a lot of conversations about Soy in the male diet. Looking at the medical studies, they are inconclusive. One population we can look at is asian countries, lets take China as an example:

Soybean also called "Shu" in ancient Chinese, is one of the five main plant foods in China along with rice, wheat, barley and mille. Soybean is orginated in China and has been cultivated for about 5000 years.

The effect of Soy on the Asian male population has not established a link to increased estrogen correlation from consumption.

Before the this topic goes down the drain, as so many others have on the intertubes, I will just say, no ladyboy references please and thank you. :oops:
:eek:
Japan has a high soy inclusive diet and they are struggling with an extremely low birth rate at the moment, not to mention that many of the young males these days identify as metrosexuals. It's a big concern there.

Some people are okay with eating a byproduct of oil processing, though I wonder what the long-term effects will be.
I'll stick to my bacon, beef, chicken, elk, turkey, venison... things i can grow/hunt/raise myself.

I can serve as a case study I suppose, I have been going since 2015. To be honest, as a man in my 30's I have abused my body with a lot of bad habits through the years, this is probably the most consistent I have been my whole life. I too wonder what the long term side effects of byproducts of my favorite hobby - shootings sports. The lead content in our bodies (people who handle firearms/ammo) is higher than those who do not and this exposure makes me wonder what the long-term effects will be.

Hominy - 5 cents per 100 calories - 25 cents per 500 calories - $1 for 2000 calories. In a can it can have a shelf life of ten years or more. You can take it out of the can, let it dry, crush it into flour by hand, make various breads with it and so on.

Brown rice - $1 per pound, 500 calories per pound. Hypo-allergenic (most anybody can tolerate it). Has a lot of fiber.

Nothing against soy per se, but there there are less expensive staples that have fiber and other benefits. It isn't necessarily good to eat so much of one thing every day. Vary your intake so that you don't get bored with it and have a better balanced diet.
You make some good points, since I didn't have bags of hominy or brown rice in my pantry, I did not go that route. I do however have a large supply of this that I rotate since I eat it as a regular staple food. I have been going 5 years now, I keep the balance and keep the boredom away by eating/cooking a regular meal with my wife every night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top