JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have seen Soylent talked about once in the past. However, that was a DIY Soylent that you can mix yourself at home.

Currently, I am consuming the consumer version of Soylent. The story goes, a couple of lazy computer programmers had bad eating habits and would skip meals, so they created a simple easy to prepare powdered meal and raised money through crowd funding. https://www.soylent.com/product/powder/

This idea isn't exactly new, there are abbot labs make of ensure and juven. As well as slimfast and other diet meal replacement shakes.

However, as an emergency food, the price, calories and weight are awesome. Since I eat Soylent for 2/3 meals a day, I am cycling through the product on the shelf guaranteeing I will have fresh stock.

Soylent is $1.90 per 500 cal. Each bag contains 2000 calories. Weight: 460 Gram. Shelf Life: 6 Months. (Calories Per Gram 9/4/4)

*Spoiler*

The reason they call Soylent, Soylent? For people to start talking about it.

For all the movie aficionados, as we all know movies often come from a book, and Soylent Green is no different. I hate to spoil the fun but the movie was based off the book Make Room! Make Room! In the book the future is over populated and out of food, so Soylent is created - from Soy and Lentils. A twist M. Night Shyamalan wish he could come up with. ;)

Soylent Green is People!
th?id=OIP.M3d7ec7951ec0801c2ae473e6addeb7dao0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=246&h=185.jpg

Soy Powder, thanks but I don't need the estrogen

I was being a little mean in my last comment, so I went ahead and deleted it. I have read, heard, and had a lot of conversations about Soy in the male diet. Looking at the medical studies, they are inconclusive. One population we can look at is asian countries, lets take China as an example:

Soybean also called "Shu" in ancient Chinese, is one of the five main plant foods in China along with rice, wheat, barley and mille. Soybean is orginated in China and has been cultivated for about 5000 years.

The effect of Soy on the Asian male population has not established a link to increased estrogen correlation from consumption.

Before the this topic goes down the drain, as so many others have on the intertubes, I will just say, no ladyboy references please and thank you. :oops:
:eek:

So, I have seen Soylent talked about once in the past. However, that was a DIY Soylent that you can mix yourself at home.

Currently, I am consuming the consumer version of Soylent. The story goes, a couple of lazy computer programmers had bad eating habits and would skip meals, so they created a simple easy to prepare powdered meal and raised money through crowd funding. https://www.soylent.com/product/powder/

This idea isn't exactly new, there are abbot labs make of ensure and juven. As well as slimfast and other diet meal replacement shakes.

However, as an emergency food, the price, calories and weight are awesome. Since I eat Soylent for 2/3 meals a day, I am cycling through the product on the shelf guaranteeing I will have fresh stock.

Soylent is $1.90 per 500 cal. Each bag contains 2000 calories. Weight: 460 Gram. Shelf Life: 6 Months. (Calories Per Gram 9/4/4)

*Spoiler*

The reason they call Soylent, Soylent? For people to start talking about it.

For all the movie aficionados, as we all know movies often come from a book, and Soylent Green is no different. I hate to spoil the fun but the movie was based off the book Make Room! Make Room! In the book the future is over populated and out of food, so Soylent is created - from Soy and Lentils. A twist M. Night Shyamalan wish he could come up with. ;)

I can't have whey or milk based shakes so I started to get a little excited but I can't have lintils either unfortunately.

Consequently, we keep a lot of Soy, Almond and Coconut milk in the fridge. I have noticed in the past that when drinking a lot of soy I would get "emotional" over things that would never bother me.

It was this last year when one of the Soy milk brands came out with EggNog that I went bonkers with Soy (EggNog was a major favorite of mine before I went all lactose intolerant/allergic. Started drinking 2 pints of the stuff a day (would have drank more but my wife and the calories told me to stop at 2 glasses a day max) and all of a sudden I'm getting misty eyed at things that are way out of character for me. Don't get me wrong, a very moving story or act of kindness will get me a little gooey but it was like I was on PMS (the sad part) all the time.

New Years came and went and they do not carry it any more and I am back to my old grumpy self.

I could just be sensitive to it, I have no idea but I do know for a fact increased soy in my diet equals more emotional responses to stimuli.

Unless it tastes like Apple smoked pulled Pork or Hickory smoked COW I sure wouldn't be inclined to eat it 2 meals out of 3.

Last Edited:
DO they make it in bacon flavor? :D

I am lactose intolerant, but the lactase pills help a lot in that regard, because it isn't so much an intolerance with me as I just have problems digesting it. It took me most of my adult life to figure out why I had those problems. :oops:

DO they make it in bacon flavor? :D

I am lactose intolerant, but the lactase pills help a lot in that regard, because it isn't so much an intolerance with me as I just have problems digesting it. It took me most of my adult life to figure out why I had those problems. :oops:

Those pills do help me a lot but not 100%.

I can't have whey or milk based shakes so I started to get a little excited but I can't have lintils either unfortunately.

Consequently, we keep a lot of Soy, Almond and Coconut milk in the fridge. I have noticed in the past that when drinking a lot of soy I would get "emotional" over things that would never bother me.

It was this last year when one of the Soy milk brands came out with EggNog that I went bonkers with Soy (EggNog was a major favorite of mine before I went all lactose intolerant/allergic. Started drinking 2 pints of the stuff a day (would have drank more but my wife and the calories told me to stop at 2 glasses a day max) and all of a sudden I'm getting misty eyed at things that are way out of character for me. Don't get me wrong, a very moving story or act of kindness will get me a little gooey but it was like I was on PMS (the sad part) all the time.

New Years came and went and they do not carry it any more and I am back to my old grumpy self.

I could just be sensitive to it, I have no idea but I do know for a fact increased soy in my diet equals more emotional responses to stimuli.
I stumbled across a coconut milk based nog this winter and my life was changed. I dislike milk alot, but will eat dairy products. That stuff gave me a new alternative.

I totally forgot I started this thread, to continue where I left off...

Soylent doesn't contain lentils. They just took the name from the movie as a marketing gimmick so people would talk about it.

Just fyi, there is no scientific data that proves a link between Soy and hormones or gynecomastia. Probably the greatest amount of research on the long-term effects of soy has to do with soy infant formulas. Some kids can't tolerate regular formula and get switched to formula derived from soybeans and they'll drink this stuff from infancy to one-year of age and beyond. Some kids are raised on soy milk instead of cow's milk their whole lives. A 2004 Italian study of kids raised on soy protein formulas showed no gynecomastia, no early puberty, no changes in their bones and no other signs of screwed up hormones.

Unless it tastes like Apple smoked pulled Pork or Hickory smoked COW I sure wouldn't be inclined to eat it 2 meals out of 3.

I have lost 40# since I started eating Soylent 2/3 meals. I eat what I want for dinner as long as I don't go over 2,000 calories. I have 1/4# bacon cheeseburgers with a serving of sea salt and vinegar chips once a week. I like tasty food too but now I only have to worry about cooking once a day, less time in the kitchen.

Mmm... I usually wont eat anything that someone is trying this hard to get me to eat...

I simply posited it was a good emergency food.

I just happen to have lost some weight as well and decided to share my experience.

Then someone, through preconceived notion, feel that Soy will increase their estrogen levels, which there is simply no scientific data to back that up.

I simply posited it was a good emergency food.

I just happen to have lost some weight as well and decided to share my experience.

Then someone, through preconceived notion, feel that Soy will increase their estrogen levels, which there is simply no scientific data to back that up.

Hey I went and looked at it. I even thought about it. Maybe I will even think about it some more. Still as a general rule my experience with "Man, this meal in a bag/bottle thing is great!" has not been so great.

I could stand to lose 40 pounds though.

I just donated over $700 worth of cloths to Goodwill, talk about a double edge sword.

I started using Soylent because my eating habits sucked. I would constantly skip meals because I was too busy to eat, as an ops manager you get busy and work doesn't really stop until you get home, even then I had my emails coming to my phone and was working at home too. I didn't eat too great on the weekend.

This simply helped me to eat on a regular basis and spend almost no time preparing food. I decided to not do it for dinner so I can spend time with the wife cooking a meal together and eating together.

Anyone reading this: I am not telling you or even asking you to try this product. In my consuming this product, I realized I had a good emergency food for a bug out bag. Constantly rotating stock, light, inexpensive, 6 month shelf life.

Congrats on the weight loss!!! Even better if your not struggling thru it!

I'm not quoting any studies or anything, just being lactose intolerant has made me look for alternatives for milk.

Soy was the biggest, and may still be I guess, replacement for calcium and protein when I started looking.

After many years of on and off use I know my body reacts to it and things that would generally bother me little or at least not to the point of showing it will have me in a big mess of tears after drinking a lot of soy.

Knew that going into the holiday and still went bonkers on that egg nog - same thing happened. They were only going to have it for another week or two in stores so I dealt with it. After stopping for a few days I felt back to "my" normal:D.

May not effect everyone like that and I have no clue if it's a hormone change or what the deal is but it happens time after time to me when my diet is soy heavy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top